Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:29:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My S4R has hiccups... is it the cored pipes????  (Read 6811 times)
Cucciolo

« on: May 17, 2008, 02:48:26 PM »

Hey guys!

I finally took my 2005 S4R out for a spin today. The bike has 2800 miles and everything is like new and completely stock, but the only mod is that it has cored pipes. The previous owner did it himself. He shortened the length of the pipes by 3 inches as well. It sounds very loud!
What I noticed is that the bike is jerky(hiccups) if I am riding slow under 3k revs on first or second gear, but anything above 3k revs and the bike has no hiccups and pulls smoothly. Is this because of the cored pipes? Any help will be appreciated!
THanks
 waytogo
55Spy

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »

are you saying it surges/chops out under light throttle?

You only mention 1st/2nd gear what about freeway speed?  that should be in the same rpm range.

Does it still have the O2 sensor?
ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 03:36:15 PM »

if I am riding slow under 3k revs on first or second gear, but anything above 3k revs and the bike has no hiccups and pulls smoothly

Sounds normal. S4R are not happy under 4.5k rpms really. Do you have a 14t on the bike yet. If not that will helps things.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 03:38:16 PM by ROBsS4R » Logged

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

Cucciolo

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 04:05:02 PM »

are you saying it surges/chops out under light throttle?

You only mention 1st/2nd gear what about freeway speed?  that should be in the same rpm range.

Does it still have the O2 sensor?

I have only noticed this under 3k revs when trying to go slow but not walking slow without using the clutch only the engine and it feels like it looses power and then gets it back.. hence the hiccups. At freeway speed it has no problem. I don't know if it still has the o2 sensor.
Cucciolo

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 04:14:35 PM »

Sounds normal. S4R are not happy under 4.5k rpms really. Do you have a 14t on the bike yet. If not that will helps things.
This is my first monster... I tried an S2R 800 before buying this one.. the 800 was really smooth and easy to tame. I find myself fighting with the S4R either with the hard to pull clutch or the hiccups in city traffic.
What would the 14t sprocket do for my bike? Will it make me switch gears less than with a 15t? I mean.. will I be able to keep 2nd gear for longer and for faster speeds?
Thanks for the input!!!!!! [moto]
ROBsS4R

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »

It will bump up your Rpms about 500 or so and make it more easy to ride at slower speeds in First gear.
Its one of the cheapest and best mods you can do for your Monster  waytogo

The S4R will just lug at 3k rpms and be really jerky specially with the stock 15t.

Yeah the S4R is not a smooth bike compared to the S2R800. Its not as forgiving and much harder to ride in the city. The heavy clutch combined with all its torque makes it not best suited for those riding conditions.

You can try the 14t with feathering the clutch method to keep the Rpms higher at slower speeds which remove the jerky-ness if that is really what your experiencing.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 04:35:30 PM by ROBsS4R » Logged

Cucciolo

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 04:40:03 PM »

I really don't want to regret buying the S4R vs an S2R or the 696.. I really want to make this a smooth ride and I don't want feel like I am fighting with the bike.

Never heard of feathering the clutch.. will it make it not as hard to pull?

Do u think that the cored pipes are causing the hiccups? I am reading about cored pipes to learn more.. I will also look at the clutch issue..
Thank you for the reply!!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 04:42:35 PM by julianista » Logged
ROBsS4R

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 04:43:40 PM »

How does the bike feel in first gear at about 5k rpms?

Should be pretty smooth and responsive.

You really cant ride a S4R at 3k rpms. Just not going to happen with out you lugging it.

At slow speeds you can give the bike more throttle and not engage the clutch completely. I use that method in parking lots.

Do u think that the cored pipes are causing the hiccups? I am reading about cored pipes to learn more.. I will also look at the clutch issue..
Thank you for the reply!!

I do not have any experience with this but I am sure someone else maybe can chime in for this.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 04:46:36 PM by ROBsS4R » Logged

johnster

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 04:58:17 PM »

Ducatis don't like to go slow..... They are in their "happy zone" when riddien above ~3500rpm, and the reason that so many people run  a 14T front sprocket is because most Monsters seem to "lug" a lot when ridden at low speeds; whether in traffic, or in a congested downtown area....The smaller front sprocket alleviates a lot of the bogging down that occurs at low speeds.....

My S4, when putting along in 1st at 10'ish mph, exhibits a lot of jerkiness.....It's almost like the bike is telling me "c'mon man, twist the damn throttle already!!!   Roll Eyes "

Remember, Ducs were designed for the racetrack FIRST, and the streets second....Thats' not a gimmicky marketing scheme, it's actually the truth.....you'll find that the harder you push the bike, the happier it will be..... [moto]

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
Cucciolo

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 05:31:54 PM »

I agree with that. It feels like the bike is telling me to open the throttle when I'm going slow!

BUT HOW TO MAKE THAT CLUTCH A LITTLE LESS HARD TO PULL? It makes it really difficult to be on 1st gear while I'm at a stop light.
johnster

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 05:45:19 PM »

I agree with that. It feels like the bike is telling me to open the throttle when I'm going slow!

BUT HOW TO MAKE THAT CLUTCH A LITTLE LESS HARD TO PULL? It makes it really difficult to be on 1st gear while I'm at a stop light.

14T front sprocket is a very popular mod, and for good reason....Just do it, and you'll thank yourself later!!

as far as clutch pull?? there are 2 ways around that....buy an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder (Yoyodyne and Evoluzione are 2 very good ones), or take 2 springs out of your pressure plate....A new clutch slave would be the best decision though, because the OEM one on most Ducs is kinda crappy... Undecided

One thing you could practice is putting your hand further out on the the handlebar grip, so that the ball-end of your clutch lever is closer to the center of your palm.....this gives you more leverage and causes less fatigue while sitting in traffic.....So instead of letting your fingers out to engage the clutch, you are sort of openning up your fist, letting the ball-end of the lever slide in between your thumb + index finger....

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
ROBsS4R

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 06:00:44 PM »

I have heard that all though aftermarket slaves help they don't make a big difference.

Maybe with the combination of pulling 2 springs out might be the ticket.

I bought some Adjustable CRG levers and put them on the closest setting. I know the S4R come with adjustable levers but I thought the aftermarket ones felt a little better. Perhaps less of a reach for me. Maybe its all in my head.

I would not get your hopes up if you think your going to make your S4R feel like your old S2R800  Undecided

Cucciolo

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 07:00:42 PM »

thanks for the replies about the clutch.. but what about the cored pipes? Any chance that if I buy and install the stock pipes (will be cheap) the bike will be smoother at lower rpms? I am trying to see if the cored pipes are causing the hiccups.
duc996

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 07:57:20 PM »

+1 on the 14t, i have the 04 s4r,did the same thing till i changed sprockets and it fixed the problem.Now she's very happy in the streets. Smiley

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Cucciolo

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 08:02:27 PM »

+1 on the 14t, i have the 04 s4r,did the same thing till i changed sprockets and it fixed the problem.Now she's very happy in the streets. Smiley

I will do the 14t ASAP! thank you for reassuring me on that. How much will a shop charge to install it? and what brand should I buy?
Thanks again
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: