Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:15:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driven Chain - Spring clip master link?  (Read 5212 times)
RodeoClown

« on: May 17, 2008, 03:31:05 PM »

Does anyone use a chain that uses a spring clip master link on their monster? I just got a Driven chain and it has a spring clip instead of the stalked soft-link type? Is this a big issue? I am only concerned b/c the Haynes manual has a not not rec. spring-clip type? Any feed back is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2000 M750 Dark(Black Betty); 88 FZR400
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 04:43:07 PM »

Who Knows?  The prevailing wisdom is to use only riveted master links (which I just did) but there are lots of folks who ride lots of miles with clip-type master links.  Logically, it seems like a riveted link has to be more secure, but is the extra security really necessary?  I have yet to hear or read of a clip-type master link separating.

One interesting idea (not mine) is to safety-wire the clip.

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
GeotheDuc

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 05:28:10 PM »

I just got a new chain from California Cycle Works and Chris sent me a rivit master link to use instead of the spring clip that came with the chain. I had taken off the swing arm brackets so I was able to have the local motorcycle shop rivit it together, and I was able to install as a whole complete chain. I didn't have a chain breaker tool or a rivit tool either, so I couldn't do it in place myself. As far as I know the rivit link is better for a high speed bike. I have used, for many years, a spring type clip on my trials bike with no failures. However, trials bikes go two miles per hour, so seperation failure is a small risk.  Go with the rivit.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 07:08:43 PM »

If you choose to use the clip link make sure you put it in the right direction.  I also reccommend safety wiring it.  Here is a good "how to"    http://www.ducati.net/faq.cfm?id=28
Kaveh

Dirka Dirka

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 07:29:42 PM »

A nice proper chain breaking/riveting tool is less than $100.  you can pick up cheaper lesser quality ones as well.  A good thing to have if you have a motorcycle.  They are very easy to use.

64duc

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 08:24:27 AM »

I've been using spring clip masters forever (40 years or so) never a problem. Do be sure you face it in the proper direction.

94 M900, 64 Diana 250
Mr Earl

2003 M800 Dark

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 09:23:21 AM »

Scroll about 3/4 down this page:  http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-tools.php?category_id=7.1 and you'll see a D.I.D.-type chain tool for $16.  I just got done using it to install an RK chain with riveted link, and it worked nicely.

I have no affiliation with the linked site, BTW.  Just a deal I came across.

Leo Vince CF slip-ons, '01 SS900 fully adjustable Showa forks w/ST2 springs, rebuilt S4 shock w/Ohlins spring, 748 dog bone, Swatt clip-ons above the triple, Sargent seat, Duplicolor-Dark seat cowl, Rizoma grips, Techlusion TFI, SBK front fender, Evoluzione slave, BMC sport air filter, 14-tooth sprocket, Desmotimes caseguard, S2R side panels, Pantah belt covers, fake CRG LS mirrors, extra black zip-ties, right grip control imprint on tank, de-cannistered, Ducati Meccanica Bologna key ring
rockaduc

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 01:08:29 PM »

I have used a spring clip on the chains on my race quad for years w/ nary a problem...but I only use a riveted masterlink on the Duc.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »

I have used clip type masters on a bunch of bikes for the last 21 years. Tried it on my 851 once, bike spit it off. had the dealer put on a rivit link. years later I went to work at that dealership and found that it was a very common thing to see.

I was at a track once and told a friend that he should not use a clip type on his 748sps, he said been using them without a problem. later that week he needed a new set of cases as the chain made a nice big hole in his. I have a set of 916 cases that suffered the same fate.

For the cost and trouble of doing a rivit link I cannot see any benefit to not using them.

I still use a clip type on my kawasaki's [moto]
RodeoClown

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 09:55:33 AM »

Thanks folk for the feed back. Even though it is about 50/50 Undecided I think I will look into getting a rivet link? I will let you know what I decide and how it works. I might try the safety wire technique?

Thanks DMF waytogo

BlackHills

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 05:06:36 PM »

If you buy an EK chain you can run their screw type master link.  I've had one on my bike for over a year and I've never had a problem with it.  These are nice because as long as you have some basic tools you could use one to repair a broken chain on the road.

I'm not sure I trust the spring clips on a bike with a lot of torque. 

http://www.ekchain.com/access.htm

Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 06:35:13 PM »

Does anyone use a chain that uses a spring clip master link on their monster?

I bet John Hopkins won't any more!

laughingdp

big

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 11:37:50 PM »

I bet John Hopkins won't any more!

laughingdp

big

Eh, that sucked, didn't it.  Sad

I've used lots of spring clip masters without a problem.
Back in the day, that's all there was.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
RodeoClown

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 04:18:39 AM »

laughingdp Too funny, I saw that and was like damn!

Then I had a buddy have a chain problem, not master link related, but enough to make me a little more uptight!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: