Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:07:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal Purple Oil  (Read 5325 times)
He Man
Post Whore

« on: May 17, 2008, 04:31:44 PM »

I spoked with chris at ca-cycleworks some months back regarding oil. He told me a story (not 100% sure about the exact details but it went something like this...) about a race bike that blew its oil pump but continued to race. The bike was running royal purple car oil, and even though the entire bike was starved of oil, the bike showed no signs of wear.

today, i found this vieo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvhRi7-iMA&feature=related

I think i may try some of Royal Purples products on my next oil change (im at 6600 miles right now), ive only heard of it in the drag racing realm, where people praise it, but after watching that video, well gosh darn!

(That "other leading brand" looks like a bottle of Mobil 1, any one care to agree/disagree?)

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
shift96
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 08:46:53 PM »

If something sounds too good to be true it usually is. Be careful. I don't know enough about this oil to say it's good or bad. I do remember when I was roadracing and some people put this in their race bikes they had to turn the idle down. At that time there weren't any ratings on the bottle like SJ etc.
Jordan

"Don't dress for the ride...dress for the crash"

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:59:46 PM »

Wonder how Amsoil would hold up under that test... 

99 900ss
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 03:10:00 AM »

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/MC%20White%20paper-g2156.pdf

Remember that any test done by the manufacturer on their own product has to be taken with a grain of salt.

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
MotoPsycho
General Nuisance and a

My Dream, my rules !

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 04:25:17 PM »

The Royal Purple I seen was gawd awful expensive. Like $80 bucks a gallon or some pbscene number like that.

I wonder if they make it in 20w50 ?

Edgar: '99 M750 - 2009 Indy Ducati Rat Bike Award Winner
BlackHills

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 04:56:57 PM »

The Royal Purple I seen was gawd awful expensive. Like $80 bucks a gallon or some pbscene number like that.

I wonder if they make it in 20w50 ?

They do...looks like the going rate is around $11.00 a quart.  http://tinyurl.com/4x65eb  (No idea on that store, but that was the best link I found)

Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan
mangeldbug

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »

If something sounds too good to be true it usually is. Be careful. I don't know enough about this oil to say it's good or bad. I do remember when I was roadracing and some people put this in their race bikes they had to turn the idle down. At that time there weren't any ratings on the bottle like SJ etc.
You have to turn the idle down because the bike is now running with less friction - meaning is running better and more efficiently
From what Ive heard its good stuff - but yes, expensive. Too much for me to spend

2002 M750Si.e. "Senna" - Meravigliosa, Mera for short
2017 390 Duke Commuter
2001 XT225 Zombie Assault Vehicle
1987 YSR50 #116 race bike
shift96
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:52:37 PM »

You have to turn the idle down because the bike is now running with less friction - meaning is running better and more efficiently
From what Ive heard its good stuff - but yes, expensive. Too much for me to spend
Yes I know that. If it was really that much better the motorcycle manufacturers would use it.
Count Desmo

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 07:02:44 PM »

I wouldn't hesitate to use it.  I have no experience with Royal Purple in motorcycles, but have been involved with it from time to time in engineering applications.  My company once assisted with the application of a gearbox driven by a 600hp engine.  We were ale to drop the operating temperature of said gearbox by 50 degrees by changing to Royal Purple.  No other changes were made.  Shortly afterward, all comparable equipment was changed to RP with the same results.
shift96
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 07:07:56 PM »

Me personally, I wouldn't but to each his own.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:49:58 AM »

FWIW, it was Michael Cox's "White tip motorsports" race team in the AMA and the bike was a SBK prepped GSXR-750. Crap that I forgot the rider's name, but they got top 10s. Mechanic's name was Greg Hlad or somethin like that. There was a trick that needed to be done when assembling the engine to make sure the oil pump was engaged. It was a few races in before they learned it. Post race tear downs showed nothing unusual.

The oil was either 0w 00w or 000w. When you got it on your hands, it never really fully washed off. You'd need to wear it off. Kinda like silicon lube...  Shocked

Also, keep in mind that many race teams are sponsored by certain brands, so when using off-brand materials, they need to take measures to keep up appearances. Like when the post Vance&Hines AMA Ducati team open up a box of Termis, peeled the stickers, and put kerker stickers on.

Smiley Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
shift96
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 03:04:19 PM »

FWIW, it was Michael Cox's "White tip motorsports" race team in the AMA and the bike was a SBK prepped GSXR-750. Crap that I forgot the rider's name, but they got top 10s. Mechanic's name was Greg Hlad or somethin like that. There was a trick that needed to be done when assembling the engine to make sure the oil pump was engaged. It was a few races in before they learned it. Post race tear downs showed nothing unusual.

The oil was either 0w 00w or 000w. When you got it on your hands, it never really fully washed off. You'd need to wear it off. Kinda like silicon lube...  Shocked

Also, keep in mind that many race teams are sponsored by certain brands, so when using off-brand materials, they need to take measures to keep up appearances. Like when the post Vance&Hines AMA Ducati team open up a box of Termis, peeled the stickers, and put kerker stickers on.

Smiley Chris

What?
VisceralReaction

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 01:45:58 PM »

http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/MC%20White%20paper-g2156.pdf

Remember that any test done by the manufacturer on their own product has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Wow this was a read and a half. Sure gives alot of information thought that supports the information
we discussed with George in TOB.

There are squirrels juggling knives in my head
CNS-Mike

"Do it!"

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 02:16:43 PM »

I'm a chemical engineer and have worked in refining for 10 years.  We used royal purple extensively for the lube applications on pumps.  I'm not sure how it would work out for a bike.  Most pumps used in refining run at constant RPM's (approx 5k) for weeks or months or even years at a time and have pretty detailed warm-up procedures for bringing them online when they are cold.  My understanding is that the warm-up period is mostly to give the pump metallurgy a chance to heat up evenly, but who knows maybe the lube oil is designed to warm up slowly as well.

Count Desmo, what kind of oil were they using before the switch?  A 50 degree reduction in operating temperature seems like a lot.

2007 S2R1K - Chopped tail and emissions can; 14T front, Vizi-tec LED tail light, HID, CRG lane splitters

Sold - 1998 Honda Shadow Aero  ***  Crashed - 1980 Yamaha XS1100  ***  Killed - 1978 Yamaha XS750
Count Desmo

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 02:28:04 PM »

Count Desmo, what kind of oil were they using before the switch?  A 50 degree reduction in operating temperature seems like a lot.

Mike, that was nearly 10 years ago.  I don't remember which oil was used previously...or even if it was sythetic.  I remember that the temperature change was in fact 50 degrees, because I had the same reaction you did.  The gearboxes in question were aluminum-bodied 2 speed boxes rated at 800hp.  Can't remember much more than that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: