Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 01, 2024, 12:18:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nasty Ticket  (Read 4074 times)
Smitch

only thing whiter is my skin!

« on: May 18, 2009, 08:37:39 AM »

So, I know I'm not as fast as Gringo, but apparently I'm much too fast for the state patrol's taste.

Allegedly got me going 97mph in a 60 zone.  While it's possible, I really don't think I was going that fast.  Now, a buddy of mine was way out ahead of me.  My theory is he clocked my friend, who got away, and decided to just pin it on me.  Court Summons July 7th, all the way down in bloody Canon City!

Anybody ever use one of these internet sites that claim to help you beat your ticket? 
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:17:08 AM »

WEEELLLLLLLL, My Friend,  Welcome to Fremont County, You are actually lucky he didn't arrest you and impound your bike!!! Thirty miles over is usually the point where it becomes reckless endangerment and arrest / impound. You can try to talk to the assistant D.A.but that's a long shot. Our kangaroo court system rarely finds someone not guilty, then they give You a choice of what you want to be charged with, more points or more money, the less points the more money!!!   My last ticket was almost two years ago, 9 miles over and cost $260.   Good Luck, keep in touch, I'll buy You lunch when You get back out.....

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
Smitch

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:03:58 AM »

WEEELLLLLLLL, My Friend,  Welcome to Fremont County, You are actually lucky he didn't arrest you and impound your bike!!! Thirty miles over is usually the point where it becomes reckless endangerment and arrest / impound.

That's what I thought too, but the way he so non-chalantly gave me a ticket is what also makes me question whether he really got me at that speed.  I have a friend who got a 12 point ticket on 67, and got it knocked down to 3 points by going to court, but that was 10 years ago.

He couldn't take the time to arrest me and impound my bike, he had a quota to meet that day.
Heffay

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:35:01 AM »

97's not so bad... heck, its not even a ton... i know that duck'll do way more than that.
did you mention you were just idling?   Wink

stupid  bacon
 Police was on the hunt for an easy mark

don't go in there saying you 'think' you weren't going that fast... either you're convinced you weren't or you were going that fast.
you'll be talking to someone w/ no recollection of what actually happened that day... it all depends on how well you present your side of the story.

just imagine the ticket you'd have gotten if your ride was RED   Grin

1973 cb350f cafe, 1975/77 cb400f race project,
1992 zx7r
Smitch

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:38:48 PM »

Yeah dude, I thought this white was supposed to absorb radar!

The sad thing is, I got $300 for my burfday, and while a radarforbikes.com unit crossed my mind, I went for the new front fender and radiator guards instead.  Angry

Murphy's law.  If I'd bought the detector, I'd have gotten a rock through the radiator yesterday.
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 02:32:25 PM »

Well , the next time You come to Fremont Co. give Me a hollar, I've got some good areas to get in real trouble!! Grin

but seriously, your welcome anytime. Have a fairly well equipped shop, and always food and beverage.  coffee drink chug

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
bonfy
Lance Thruster sports my

The Blue Flame 2008 695 Monster Controlled Folly

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

On my way to Sturgis last year, approximately three hours after you spotted me in Monument, I got stopped for doing 97 in a 75.  Since I was out-of-stater at the time, there was no way I was going to come back up to contest it.  Just had to suck it up. Had it been two minutes earlier I'd have been a triple digits because I was making up lost time for a missed turn-off to Julesberg.   But then I was caught on photo-radar in the Dodge in a construction zone at 6AM on a Sunday morning doing 67 in a 45 (in Albuquerque).  I definitely was going to fight that one so I went online and found all the good defenses for those photo-stop tickets.  When I showed up for my hearing, the three people in front of me used all my arguments and so when my turn came I told them that I never saw the 45 mph sign or realized it was construction because all the barrels were off the road and no crew around.  Since I "took responsibility for the my actions"  the court admin reduced the ticket and let me do community service instead which came to policing the park at an artshow in Old Town for three hours.  No points on the photo tickets.  I noticed that the folks he nailed the hardest were the ones that had a list of excuses or had an attitude.    That's my two cents.  Truth told, I have never had any luck with the cops or system in Colorado.  That was part of the reason I moved to New Mexico.  I got tired of doing time.   Embarrassed

The Smelly Pirate Hooker
Gringo 999

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 07:55:51 PM »

Allegedly got me going 97mph in a 60 zone. 

What's that 4 points?  Don't worry about 'beating' the ticket.  Recommend, instead, that you present your 'clean-cut' appearance and mitigate for reduced points based on your clean, family man image.  Bargain with DA for non-moving violation and reduced points, like 2 pts, based on your driving record.  Emphasize safety gear, paid insurance, driving record and the fact that you pulled over.  If you do contest in court, a suit and manners go a long way with the Judge. 

I got three 4-point (cage driving) violations in 2008.  All I lost was the $$$$ and 3 pts.  Good luck. 

Larry Dotson, aka "Il Duce"
2004 Red and White 999 Superbike (Biposto)
MRA # 196 - 2001 GSXR 750
J_Slyter

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 05:17:01 PM »

Anybody ever use one of these internet sites that claim to help you beat your ticket? 

Bummer Sean, sorry to hear about the bad luck.

I think you should take Gringo 999 to court with you though. He would probably swear on a stack of bibles that you've never/ever done 97mph. And what Judge wouldn't believe him. If nothing else, you  could at least offer Gringo up in your stead. Just make him wear his gear and hang off the side of a chair and I'm sure a few of the cops will recognize him from behind.  [moto]
Scottish
Balls!

That's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy!

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 05:29:21 PM »

Bummerz dood.  Undecided No advise to give that hasn't already been dished.

You can thank a soldier today, just click the link...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
Gringo 999

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 06:43:02 AM »

Bummer Sean, sorry to hear about the bad luck.

I think you should take Gringo 999 to court with you though. He would probably swear on a stack of bibles that you've never/ever done 97mph. And what Judge wouldn't believe him. If nothing else, you  could at least offer Gringo up in your stead. Just make him wear his gear and hang off the side of a chair and I'm sure a few of the cops will recognize him from behind.  [moto]

cheeky cheeky

Larry Dotson, aka "Il Duce"
2004 Red and White 999 Superbike (Biposto)
MRA # 196 - 2001 GSXR 750
Smitch

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 11:39:36 AM »

Update:

Today was Judgement Day.  Fremont County Court is less streamlined than El Paso County.  They don't have plea bargains prepared in advance.  So you have to wait around to talk to the DA.

Should have saved myself the wait, he was power trippin' and unwilling to reduce the points.  Tried to be intimidating, stating that if I'd been there one week prior, a substitute judge would have sent me to jail.  He said he would've asked for jail time if I'd broke 100mph. Strangely, after I'd agreed to plead guilty, he became more friendly after I stated I was on a motorcycle (like he understands you're going to speed, even said, "I used to drive fast before I had this job").

So he was relaxed once he knew I wasn't taking it to trial.  Jerk.  Guess I should have plead not guilty, although the time and money wouldn't have been worth it to do that.

Later I collected myself while waiting for final sentencing, and remembered I have my Colorado Motorcycle Safety Instructor ID in my wallet, and decided to show that to the judge in a last ditch effort for leniency.  No dice:

Judge:  "Ducati?"
Me:  "Yes sir."
Judge:  "We're going to proceed with 6 points and a total fine of $335.50."

DUCATISTA DISCRIMINATION!!!!!!!!!

DrDesmo

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »

Eesh  Sad

Did he get you or your friend with radar or laser?

Cheers,
Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
Smitch

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 12:50:03 PM »

Said he got us with radar.  We asked to see it, he said "It's not on there."

The system makes it too difficult to plead not guilty.  It's not worth your time, so they can bully you. 

Bruce Wayne was right, the "system is broken."  I need to start riding the Batpod!
Heffay

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »

I hate speed limits.
I hate d!ckheads.
I hate tickets that result in exorbitant fines!

Ride on... and consider showing the next cop what the bike can actually do.   Cool

Sorry for your loss of 335 bucks

1973 cb350f cafe, 1975/77 cb400f race project,
1992 zx7r
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: