Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:34:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire ratings  (Read 212357 times)
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 05:11:21 PM »

If your planning on keeping the Diablo on the front don't use anything other than a matching tire on the rear.

If the rear doesn't match the front then they will have different profiles and the warm up time will be different and the grip will be different as well.

If the front is still almost new as you say then just get a matching rear and change brands/models next time unless you want to spend the extra cash to replace the front with the rear.

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Le Pirate

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 05:55:49 PM »

Looks like I'd have to go with a Pilot Road 2, the 2CT nor the Corsa III is available to fit a 160 rim ~

JM

I ride Pilot Roads on the front and rear, and have nothing but good things to say about them

Cabbie

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »

Well I had an older pilot sport on the rear and a pilot street on the front when I got my bike and have put over 3k on it since then, so the rear probably had about 5k on it befor it went square on me.  I did 1 track day on this setup as well, and it worked well for my slow butt.   laughingdp  I admit I was scared about the front being able to hold up on a track day as it really wasnt a "high performance" tire, but it di just fine.  Since I needed to switch out the rear anyway, I swapped the front as well and went with the pilot 2CT's.. My 20 kile ride back home was an eyeopener to say the least.. Pressure in my previous tires was in the recommended range, so I know that want the issue, but OMG do these things lighten up the steering!!  I was going to drop the forks a bit because the steering slowed down a bit with my recent switch to clipons, but definately not now.  You think about turning and you are turning.. It was a bit spooky at first, but I adjusted on the fly and was able to roll through my favorite curve on my route about 15 mph faster than before, they made that much of a difference.. Before I could hear my front through the turn, not howling mind you, but it was audible that it was gripping.. these new ones have such a soft compound on the side that they are almost noiseless through the same turn..just smooth grip.. saying give me more.  I went with these as I am planning on doing a few more track days this year and just wanted that extra piece of mind that super stickies give.  I really do not see me exceeding the limits of these puppies as I use track days to improve my riding.. not for speed, but for control and smoothness.. I have the typical corner anxiety and what better place to get over it than at the track.  ANyway, this has been my long winded rambling nonsensical writeup on the 2ct's.. get a set!
CRASH!

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 05:22:31 PM »

Cabbie,

I experienced the same revelation going from a Pilot Road to  Pilot Power a few years ago. The much more triangular tire profile is what makes them turn in like NOW! Steering is truly telepathic. I can't imagine going back.

I went through a set of Pirelli Diablo Coras IIIs after the Powers, but I'm back to Michelin. I expect my new Power 2CTs to show up on my doorstep any day now. waytogo
MendoDave
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 03:47:12 PM »

Found this article about the Michelin 2CT

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/michelin-pilot-power-2ct-12882.html
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 04:24:32 PM »

a VS article.. boooo hisssss

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
MendoDave
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 04:39:57 PM »

So it is. Still seems like good info though.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »

So it is. Still seems like good info though.

seems -- it is filled with subliminal advertising and evil canadian messages to drink pisswater beer and eat moldy backbacon.

boooo.. hisss..

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
MendoDave
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 05:10:46 PM »

seems -- it is filled with subliminal advertising and evil canadian messages to drink pisswater beer and eat moldy backbacon.

boooo.. hisss..

That Moldy backbacon thing will never work. I only eat good bacon...

Mmmm. Bacon.
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 07:44:25 PM »

Ok, I found this to be a big benefit before so we'll start anew.

Please keep your post updated.

Currently I'm running Pilot Powers, have 6k on them and the front is fine and the rear is showing wear but no real flat spotting.  waytogo

This is after 6k in the canyons and one trip from Los Angeles to San Diego, 130 miles on the freeway at 85+

What psi are you running in the F&R ?

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
VisceralReaction

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 09:58:20 AM »

Well I just spooned on a BT-021 on the rear. I removed an Avon Storm. First thing I notice is that
the Bridgestone is a much steeper profile. The Storm flowed through the corners but not very quickly at all.
I had to muscle the bike to do quick S turns. Hoping the more agressive profile on the Bridgestone will allow for
quicker turn in and handling.

There are squirrels juggling knives in my head
red baron

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 05:58:08 AM »

What psi are you running in the F&R ?

36 solo

and 40 in the rear two-up

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
EEL

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »

Didnt want to change tires halfway through so I was running a qualifier front and pilot power rear

Front qualifier was 35 psi - Bought it at about 4500 - Currently at 13500 - Sucked for the last 1500 to 2000 miles - I would give them a functional mileage of 7500 miles
Rear pilot was 38 psi - Bought it at about 8000 - Currently at 13500 - Great grip all the way through - 5,500 miles at 38 psi

Both are shredded now. The qualifier sucked for grip as it wore out. I was literally sliding the front for 1500 miles. Massive cup, I could feel a ridge with my fingers.
Definitely not a fan.

Pilot was a great tire, nice even grip on dry, not as solid in the wet (will slide out like any other tire but loss if traction is linear not sudden)

Though I liked them a lot, Pilot's are getting too expensive for me now. I'm switching to Bridgestone Battlax BT016's this week (50 bucks less) or maybe BT021's. Hopefully these pan out.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:24:53 AM by EEL » Logged
kutter

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 02:29:54 AM »

The Battleaxe was what came on my Monster as factory and I would say that it is far inferior to the Pilot Road I replaced them with. Not sure how much the Battleaxe is selling for but it might be worth exploring some other options.

All my best ideas get me into trouble.

I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates when he said, 'I drank what?!'

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything..... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
jerryz

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 12:19:57 PM »

Pirrelli Diablo/ Corse  and Metzler Mez6 are the same tyre from same factory but Metzler will last longer as its made from a slightly  harder compound.

i have MEZ6 rear and Diablo Corse front on  the S4  excellent combo.both are great tyres ,

i also like the Metzler Mez1 and Mez 3  and the older Mez4 also great tyres.i have Mez 4 on the front and rear of the M750 fantastic griop and handling

Michelin pilot sports are good but wear out fast.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: