Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:28:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire ratings  (Read 215358 times)
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »

I LOVED the Angels on my 900SS.  Wet traction was excellent, and I had around 3500 on them when I sold the bike and they still had plenty of tread left!

Anybody ever run Bridgestone BT-016? I can get a BT-016 Pro and a BT-016 rear for $221.

What about Bridgestone S20?  I can run those for $230.

I would LOVE to run Angels, but they're pricey now it seems.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »

I think I was right around $200 for just a 180 rear (regular diablo on the front)

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
the_Journeyman

« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »

That sounds like my findings, I can get a set Pilot Powers for $220, ContiMotions for $170 or Angels for $275 (but I would have to use a 170 rear and I'm not sure I want to).  I've never tried Powers, so I may give them a shot.  I got great grip from the ContiMotions, but mileage wasn't great.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »

That sounds like my findings, I can get a set Pilot Powers for $220, ContiMotions for $170 or Angels for $275 (but I would have to use a 170 rear and I'm not sure I want to).  I've never tried Powers, so I may give them a shot.  I got great grip from the ContiMotions, but mileage wasn't great.

JM

JM

Last set I got was Michelin Power Pilots, they're great, not so many miles yet, between weather and working from now . . .But, they do grip, still looking fr the TP to use them . . . 32/34 like I had the Dunlops seem not to properly work but when 32/32 . . . mpg goes way down . . .32/33 seems to be working the compromise but, never letting go of the grip . . . my 0.02 . ..

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2012, 03:53:07 PM »

When my Diablo Rosso Corsas wear out I'll be fitting Conti Motions because I got them so cheap. They are a new tyre down here, so not much data on them.
Anyone have advice on tyre pressures?
I'm on a lightened M900 by 35lbs and I weigh 190. Grip means more to me than wear.

2015 Scrambler 800
the_Journeyman

« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2012, 06:03:36 AM »

I've been running ContiMotions.  I usually run 35R and 33F which eems to do ok.  I can easily drag knees and hard parts on them.  They haven't lasted as well as I thought a stort-tour tire should, BUT for the price, they're really hard to beat.  I think I got about 4000 miles out of mine.

However, I have some funky wear, and while I've had a similar pattern  on Pirellis and Dunlops, it is by far the worst on the ContiMotion so far.  It's a really noticeable lip on the leading edge of the tread.  It's probably more my suspension than the tire.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2012, 06:22:31 AM »

Thanks journeyman. I'll give those pressures a go.

2015 Scrambler 800
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »

Pirelli Angel 160/60-17.

Rear of my M750 commuter.

Down to the cord at 11.7k miles, 4 months and a week.

Worked great, other than the wearing out part.  laughingdp

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Racka0

« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2012, 01:24:38 AM »

Pirelli Angel soft , best  rated motorcycle tire I heard. I bought a set to my Hyper 1100. After 4000 miles of hard riding in Pennsylvania the tires are like brand new. The middle section of the tire is very hard compound the side is same as diablo rosso corsas (softer to stick well).
I recommend I try  to all of you -and you will be happy with as much as I do. I do not even want to try other brand anymore.
Rickrides
Having Way Too Much Fun!

« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »

I have put 7K on a set of Avon Storms. Rear is just now ready to be changed out.]
I think I am going to go back to Pilot Roads again though

UPDATE,
Well I now have 8400 miles on the rear, it's very squared off and down to the cord.
I think it was a good tire all in all, did well in the wet, the front tire is still very good.
I think it squared off really quick though in about 4000 miles
My tire looks just like the pic in the post below mine.

Found a screamin deal on a Bridgestone BT-021 today so will review that next.

I have been running Avon Storm II Ultras on my modded 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100 (100 hp at the rear wheel) for four sets now.  On one set I got 10K out of the rear and 9K out of the front.  Last rear was replaced at about 8K and the front is still on the bike but about due for replacement.  I ride mostly mountain roads, not much on the freeway or straight roads.  So, mine have not "squared off" too much.  They have been great tires.  Very confidence inspiring.

So, I am putting a set on the 2000 Monster 900 I recently purchased.  We'll see how they work on the Monster.  I was going to go with Avon's stickier tire but the place I bought them (American Moto Tire) did not have that tire in a 170 rear. 

The Ducati and the ZRX wear the same size tires, which is interesting.

The first tires I put on the ZRX were Bridgestone BT-021s and the fronts cupped and the rears "squared off."  They didn't last long, either.  So, no more Bridgestones for me.  My wife's Yamaha FZ-6 has some Michelin Pilot Powers that have worn well.

2000 Monster Dark 900 ie
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2013, 04:06:29 AM »

Anyone try these?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/72/962/6175/ITEM/Shinko-003-Stealth-Front-Tire.aspx

I have the regular ones on my 450 sm (not the ultra soft) and they seem fine. I'm wondering how they'd do on a big bike though. I'm due for a front.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
jerryz

« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2013, 04:52:15 AM »

My S4 in thailand Pirrelli  Diablo Rosso corsa 3 s are shagged to the bone , thay have lasted really well but i only rate them 80%  for handling stability and comfort but 100% braking and 90% for grip , I really wanted Dunlops Q2 as i have had fantastic 100% results with m750 and SS750 in UK but none available here  ,at the moment
choice here is limited and tyres very expensive due to import tax ,for instance  pilot Road 3s are $450 a pair

they have Michelin Pilot road 3 in stock but i worry about reports that they dont work well in hot weather , should i go for them or not ,, Diablo rossos are available again too but i really want to try something different , I can get Pilot powers as well which might be better??? , and roadsmarts as well and all sorts of bridgestones but i have never ever liked bridgestone,  they seem very hard and uncomfortable tyres I have 3 days to make a decision

its very hot and sometimes very wet here now but hot hot & very 90f + with high humidity  all the time
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 04:57:06 AM by jerryz » Logged
kokis

« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2013, 03:30:04 AM »

Hi guys,
I am running Pirelli Rossa II on my m696. Previous was stock Battlax. I had 30\32 PSI pressure on old ones. And I damaged rim running on Rossa's at that pressure. Rossa is much softer and the country I live has very bad roads. Now I am running 39/39 PSI. While max pressure printed on tire is 42.
39\39 is good for me but I would like to set them to 40-41. Will it cause any problems running on max pressure? And what about if I am riding 50% time with passenger?

I am not pro in tech questions, but as any rider have some experience that I can share without claiming to absolute truth. Please use my advices responsibly.
SpikeC

Spike in PDX

« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »

At the higher pressure the center of the tire will wear faster, making a flat spot, and you will have less traction in corners as the contact patch will not be able to spread and get more rubber in contact with the pavement.
 You will get less "cupping" of the tread blocks, though.

Spike Cornelius
  PDX
   2009 M1100S Assorted blingy odds and ends(now gone)
2008 Bimota DB5R  woo-Hoo!
   1965 T100SC
kokis

« Reply #149 on: June 21, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »

I know that, SpikeC chug. But what does max pressure on tyre means? What will happen if I ride at max pressure?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:58:50 AM by kokis » Logged

I am not pro in tech questions, but as any rider have some experience that I can share without claiming to absolute truth. Please use my advices responsibly.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: