Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:06:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire ratings  (Read 215328 times)
Dirty Duc
I'd rather be an anti-

I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2010, 10:39:36 AM »

Update on the Podiums:

I noticed today that they seem to have calmed down (now that I have 400 or so miles on them).  I recall now that even the Ravens were a little twitchy in the beginning.  The rain groove in the front tire seems to take a little while to normalize (and it took longer than I expected).

Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »

After more sets of PP 2ct's than I want to think about, I just ordered a set of Road 2's.

Not being an extremely aggressive rider, and commuting more, what are the big differences am I going to notice?

Hopefully a few more miles.

Will they be a lot less sticky in the corners?

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
red baron

« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2011, 07:05:14 AM »

Bick,

The 2's have been replaced by threes, better for wet weather.

After much deliberation, I've just put on another set of PP's. My dealer thought that I'm riding it kinda hard and that I may feel some slippage with the roads. After this set I'm going to give them a try anyway. Good luck and keep us posted with what you think.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
bikepilot

« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2011, 03:07:35 PM »

Road 2s take a little bit to warm up and have a slightly stiff, heavy feel to them.  Take it just a bit easy when they are cold or when the road is wet.  They steer very nicely and give good feedback. Once hot and on a dry road they stick quite well. FYI Avon Storms are also a sport touring tire, but sort of the opposite.  They stick really well compared to most tires, even non-touring tires in the cold and in the wet, but steer a little more slowly and don't have quite the level of precision/feel that a sport tire will usually have.  If pushed really hard in hot weather they can get pretty hot and feel slightly greasy, though they still stick fine.  I gumballed mine without being too insane while loaded for a 6-week tour.  Great mileage from them though (a touch more than I got for PR2s).

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »

Thought I posted in here before...  Huh?

Anyway, Pirelli Angel ST's on my S4, virtually all commuting, some sporty riding.

They feel just fine.  Smiley

5k miles on the rear, 3k miles on the front.

Still ~5mm of tread depth on the rear.
Maybe get 10k miles out of it?
I'll believe that when I see it.  coffee

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Lore

monster 750

« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2011, 12:52:34 AM »

I'm waiting for my pirelli angel st  Grin
i have it on aprilia shiver 750 and the tire is great!!! so far 6k km and still looks great waytogo

Who made me to try it, who made me to love it so much!?
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2011, 05:22:29 AM »

Just unmounted a pr2 rear yesterday. Doa at 5500 miles on ktm 950 smr.

The first half of its life it stuck great in wet or dry with practically no warm up.

The last half of its life it was 90% in the dry and 50-60% in the wet for grip

I hopped to see more mileage but such is life. 

Replaced f/r with plain old diablos I got a great deal on.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
marvellous

I used to have a Titanium member...

« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2011, 04:22:54 AM »

S2R800: Ran the stock Diablo's to 9K before replacing. As you can guess, I'm not that spirited a rider and now I'm 95% commuting 30 mi each way in Central Oregon, which means it can rain/snow/rain/snow at any time. For instance this morning, it was 39 degrees F when I left the house and it will get into the 70's on my ride home (I'm just glad it's over 30 degrees now... yay!). Lastly, have about 2+ mi of dirt road to contend with each way (gotta love living out in the sticks)...

So with all of that said, looking to replace my current Pirelli Phantoms (got a great deal on them,  $75 for the pair), which are already flattening out at 3K mi. Any suggestions? Don't have a ton of money, probably looking to purchase later on this summer...

Thank you for your time!
marvel

My baby Duc 'Cara' - 2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800 Dark Mods • CRG Lanesplitters • Rhinomoto Bar-end Sliders • DP Gel Seat • Dark Seat Cowl • 14t AFAM Light Front Sprocket • CompWerks Tailchop • Smoke Clear Alt Taillight Kit with Integrated Blinkers • Smoke Clear Alt Turnsignal Kit • QuatD Ceramic Coated ExBox Exhaust • Soon to be Mods • Carbon Hugger •
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2011, 04:29:04 AM »

S2R800: Ran the stock Diablo's to 9K before replacing. As you can guess, I'm not that spirited a rider and now I'm 95% commuting 30 mi each way in Central Oregon, which means it can rain/snow/rain/snow at any time. For instance this morning, it was 39 degrees F when I left the house and it will get into the 70's on my ride home (I'm just glad it's over 30 degrees now... yay!). Lastly, have about 2+ mi of dirt road to contend with each way (gotta love living out in the sticks)...

So with all of that said, looking to replace my current Pirelli Phantoms (got a great deal on them,  $75 for the pair), which are already flattening out at 3K mi. Any suggestions? Don't have a ton of money, probably looking to purchase later on this summer...

Thank you for your time!
marvel

check

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/DV/Street-Bike-Tires.aspx 

or

http://www.kneedraggers.com/catalog/Tires

or

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/motorcycle-tires

hope it helps

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »

Update on the Pirelli Angel ST's on my S4.

Still feel just fine.  Smiley

7k miles on the rear, 5k miles on the front.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2011, 09:53:50 AM »

^ no flat spot?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2011, 08:58:39 PM »

^ no flat spot?

Flat is about 1 1/2" wide on the rear, 1" on the front.

Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

Spck31
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2011, 03:36:47 PM »

On the past week-end i get a second flat tire issue on my new diablo rosso II.bang head So i decided to avoid living with 2 patch on my tire, and i was not in my home town, i asked to a shop near by to change it with the same one. Of course the guy told me he had any diablo, so offer me a Dunlop Q2 which i accepted because i was very far from home...

Since i made this change when i reach 75-80 mph, i feel a vibration that was not there before... Undecided
My concern is about questionning the balancing wheel job or this choice of knew tire??

On a lot of bike forum, race track people seem happy with this Q2..

Maybe some of you know this tire model..
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »

Balance job, tire not culprit ...

I did a tire change to a customer who didn't want them balanced, installed my old Dunlop D220 on his bike, GS500E ... no problemo ...

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Spck31
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2011, 03:50:55 PM »

Thanks Darkmonster!!

I will get a new balance job!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: