Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 01:41:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Monster- S2R 800?  (Read 7723 times)
Sgt_H

« on: May 18, 2008, 08:04:09 PM »

What's the good, bad and ugly of the S2R800?

I'm not looking until next year at the earliest, but I'm going to want to upgrade from my 750 before too long.  I really like the looks of the S*R bikes, but don't want to drop the $ for an S4* and have read about too many problems with S2R1K.  Problems that can be fixed, but for lots more $$. 

Any owners want to share thoughts on their bikes?

Thanks

Sgt_H
Banned
Labbedds

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:09:52 PM »

I just made this transition about 3 weeks ago.  Had a 99 750 dark.  went to a 2005 s2r, just look at my sig.  Pretty big difference.  I feel like it was a step in the right direction.  Clutch pull is much smoother, about 40% more power with a chopped airbox, PCIII, arrow full titaniums.  Having fuel injection is great, the bike looks sexy as all get out, gets alot of attention.  The seat is more comfortable.  Gauges are good looking.  I'm glad I went with the 800, I think going to a 1000 would have been cool too with the dry clutch but also the insurance might be highere because it's a liter bike.  14 tooth sprocket also.  I love this bike.  Do it. waytogo

Wawawiwa
Sgt_H

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:14:02 PM »

Thanks.  I notice that your bike doesn't have an udder.  Does the 800 come with the udder and mapping problems if you mod the intake or exhaust?

Sgt_H
Banned
aa4111

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:14:37 PM »

Great bike, very reliable. It doesnt come with the power, brakes, or suspension like the 1000's do, but nor does it come with the surging problems. It has decent power, but probably not too much of an upgrade from the 750 you're currently on. If I were you I would wait to see what the new models Ducati will be rolling out in the next year or 2 and look at those. They are supposed to have two o2 sensors (for each cylinder) to solve the surging problems. Also by then current model S4R's will be down in price and you can look at those for a real upgrade from the 750  waytogo
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 08:15:40 PM »

Well I like mine.....lots!!   waytogo

The only other Monster I've ridden was an S2R 1000 during a demo day.  I didn't notice the surging but the guy who rode it before me complained about it.

As far as the S2R 800, I've logged about 6000 kms so far with no issues.  I put Termis on it last fall and enjoying the increase in "personality" that they provide. I did change out the the fork springs as it just didn't feel as planted as the 1000 did.   I'm a bit over the 170 lbs that Ducati seems to feel is the typical weight of a Monster owner so that might have been part of the problem.   cheeky  Other than that, it's stock and provides as much pleasure as I need.  Wink

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »

Thanks.  I notice that your bike doesn't have an udder.  Does the 800 come with the udder and mapping problems if you mod the intake or exhaust?

My Termis install left the udder in place and there were no mods made to the intake side.  The bike runs well in all temps and pulls strongly.  There is no O2 sensor on an 800 so the ECU is not as big an issue as it is on the other bikes but I've been told that increasing the air flow by modding the airbox will cause a lean condition.

Labbedds

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:46:49 PM »

It definately has more power than the 750, you'll notice it when you put on a full system, chop the box and pcIII it.  I haven't ridden an s2r stock so I don't know what that's like, but mine has a huge power difference from my 750.

Wawawiwa
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 09:19:16 PM »

Not that I know what I'm talking about...but I'm thinking an 800 would be noticeably more powerful than a carbed 750.  Maybe not so much compared to an injected bike.

Which one do/did you have?

Labbedds

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 09:24:06 PM »

It is more power, when he said "probably", that means he's never ridden a carbed 750.  The udder isn't on my bike because I have a full system.  The headers and midpipe eliminate the udder.  My bike runs perfect, low and high rpms.  Absolutely no surging.  I couldn't be happier. [moto]

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 09:27:00 PM by labbedds » Logged

Wawawiwa
techno

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 10:31:18 PM »

I bought an S2R800 after researching on TOB. It seems to be the most sorted model with very few issues.

Some will say the brakes are not as good as others but I've never had an issue with normal road riding.

The suspension has little adjustment but in my opinion thats just one less thing to stuff up by fiddling with it.

See if you can bag a ride on one and make up your own mind 'cos your only likely to get good opinions here. waytogo

Hey Techno you are a smart man.  waytogo

Had an accident in Tasmania? - www.tas-compo-law.com.au
High_Side

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 11:02:26 PM »

My wife has an S2R 800 and after riding it I thought that the S2R 1000 would be a decent replacement for my VTR1000.  After riding the S2R 1000 however it felt no faster than our 800 (although it had a little bit better torque).  I ended up buying a Gt1000 Sport Classic instead (only 'cause I got a screaming deal) and it has been a disappointment.  Racing the GT against the Monster from about 40mph to 110 mph the bikes are dead even   (the GT has to pack my extra 50 lbs in the process).  I continue to be impressed with the S2R800.....the GT10000, not so much.   
Sgt_H

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 04:58:49 AM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.  It seems like the 800 is the least talked about Monster so I appreciate all your input.  I figure if I can get an honest assessment of of a Duc anywhere it would be from the Desmophiles of the DMF.  Though of course, nothing beats a test ride   [moto] 

It sounds like:

Looks- Great
Power- Good
Handling- Good, though room for tweaking
Braking- OK, It has dual fronts right?  It has to be better than the single on my 750
Maintenance- Good, no O2 sensor to jack things up.

What kind of mapping can be done to a stock bike?  Is a PC III a mandatory upgrade if you swap exhaust?  Or is PC III a nice to have no matter what?  Anything else to think about?

Sgt_H
Banned
Count Desmo

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 05:15:03 AM »

There is no question that the 800 is a significant step forward from a carb'd 750.  I've owned both, and you really can't honestly compare the 2.  I've never ridden an S2R1K, but I have ridden Sport Classics.  The 1K is stronger, but not as much as you might think.  I've found the 800 to be an excellent street bike.  If I were buying a track bike I might consider one of the 4-valve monsters, but public roads are something very different.
Labbedds

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 08:10:34 AM »

waytogo

Wawawiwa
Sgt_H

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 08:42:02 AM »

There is no question that the 800 is a significant step forward from a carb'd 750.  I've owned both, and you really can't honestly compare the 2.  I've never ridden an S2R1K, but I have ridden Sport Classics.  The 1K is stronger, but not as much as you might think.  I've found the 800 to be an excellent street bike.  If I were buying a track bike I might consider one of the 4-valve monsters, but public roads are something very different.

I'm not trying to compare it to my 750, but to the other options out there.  I know it will be a massive improvement over what I have.  For me it's not so much about getting the 'most' bike.  I know I don't need a 1000 or an S4Rs because I don't have the skill to get everything out of what I have.  I'm very aware of my skill level and limitations so I'm really not in the market for the biggest and baddest.   My bike is kind of a beater and short of a frame down restoration, no matter what I do that's what it's going to be.  It's a great learning bike and I've been able to get a lot of good wrench time on it.  I've learned a lot but, it is what it is. 

Right now I'm just trying to collect information so that my next purchase will be well informed.  Like I said earlier, nobody talks much about the S2R800 so the more reviews the better. 

Thanks again for the replies everyone  waytogo

Sgt_H
Banned
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: