Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:46:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Different gas question  (Read 1783 times)
flsurfdog

« on: May 19, 2008, 03:13:43 AM »

So after switching over to 87 octane (georgia if that means something different elsewhere) i had a thought.

since lower octane gas is more combustable (more prone to detination) because it's made of smaller compounds.....and higher octane gas is the opposite, however more energy released when it does burn, so (assuming the bike runs normal on low octane)  would higher octane gas give a similar effect as to making the bike more rich?  I mean the stoichometry between low octane or high octane, and air would have to be different, and if you're injecting the same volume of fuel could this not help the lean running conditions of the )2    sensored bikes?

06 s2r1000, Apex Clip-ons, Lowered headlight and gauges, HID high/low, Wasen Design front signals, reflectors removed, Mag Performance clutch cover, Rizoma star pressure plate, open airbox, Spark midpipe, Leo Ti slip-on, tail chop and frame plug blinkers
ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 03:16:32 AM »

Personally I think my Bike runs better on lower Octane  waytogo

Thats were my knowledge ends  Grin

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 03:52:22 AM »

Air to fuel ratio is air to fuel ratio regardless of octane, so the answer is no.  Using octane of too high a rating can cause incomplete combustion and reduced power output though.
johnster

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 04:03:48 AM »

Air to fuel ratio is air to fuel ratio regardless of octane, so the answer is no.  Using octane of too high a rating can cause incomplete combustion and reduced power output though.

Is this why valves appear more gunked up with engines that run high octane that don't need it?? It's just left-over crap that doesn't get burned??

I've began to run 89 in my bike full-time, and it doesn't complain....In fact, I've noticed it doesn't do the airbox "sneeze" when the throttle is cracked as often as it used to....I don't know if that has anything to do w/89 versus 93, but it's a possibility!!

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 04:07:38 AM »

Is this why valves appear more gunked up with engines that run high octane that don't need it?? It's just left-over crap that doesn't get burned??

I've began to run 89 in my bike full-time, and it doesn't complain....In fact, I've noticed it doesn't do the airbox "sneeze" when the throttle is cracked as often as it used to....I don't know if that has anything to do w/89 versus 93, but it's a possibility!!

It is a reason why you could have excessive carbon build up. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: