Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 01:14:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monthly Ducati Ride  (Read 109230 times)
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #585 on: August 16, 2011, 08:52:44 AM »

I fully and completely agree that the slipper price was an excellent deal. I don't think the installation part is so hard and I'm totally fine with Will doing it as he's more qualified than I am. Here's the next part. The EVR is adjustable so unless you are lucky on the first try you might have to go back a few times dialing it in to where you like it.

Your static rear sag with you on the bike is 34mm.  Ohlins recommendation is between 25mm to 40mm. You should be totally fine with that. Setting it to 30mm will only make it a bit stiffer but it will raise the rear a bit, which should help with turn in. We could also raise the rear by using the ride height adjuster, which would be an option that I would recommend, depending on how the bike is actually responding.

The 30mm number that is usually batted about in the forums mostly refers to the front triple offset. This is something that the forum folks have latched onto and rave about. I have it directly from Dan Kyle himself ( or someone who was representing himself as Dan  laughingdp ) that the front triple offset setup really only works for racing applications where you are wide open throttle exiting a corner. Apart from that instance any other handling/cornering characteristics can be adjusted with fork & shock setups and ride height adjustments. Most all of the Dan Kyle recommendations are base on racing applications and not so much towards street riding.

More later.......

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #586 on: August 16, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »

Well, I will say that the 30mm offset triples helped the SC quite a bit.  Or was it the SBK forks?  Or was it the light weight wheels?  Or was it the... 

Grin

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #587 on: August 16, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »

Well, I will say that the 30mm offset triples helped the SC quite a bit.  Or was it the SBK forks?  Or was it the light weight wheels?  Or was it the... 

Grin

it was all the $$$ you threw at it... Grin

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #588 on: August 16, 2011, 10:39:13 PM »

Grin

Yep. I suppose that dropping the front end angle as much as it did to accommodate the replacement forks and the carbon feather weight wheels didn't have nearly the effect that the 30mm triples did.   laughingdp  Assuming, that is, that the SC has the same front end geometry as the Superbikes do.   laughingdp

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
freeflydive

'09 1198 (sold); '12 BMW S1000RR

« Reply #589 on: August 16, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »

Your static rear sag with you on the bike is 34mm

I swear the rear sag measured at a very low number when you wrote it down...like 10 or so, and I brought it up to 14mm (ball park).  Is my memory off?

I realize my riding abilities have a long way to improve, but I'm racking my brain to make my bike more user friendly and inspire a touch of confidence!  I don't want to give up on it for the S1000RR just yet.  Luckily I've sorted out the lugging reaction at low RPMs since installing the Termi's and Will trimming the ECU settings.  Now I'd like to improve the suspension to make it lighter to tip in and hold the line w/out constantly wrestling it.  I have realistic expectations, so I don't expect it to handle like I-4 bike just want the bike to treat me as nice as I treat it!    bow down   

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn" -unk
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #590 on: August 16, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »

Now I'd like to improve the suspension to make it lighter to tip in and hold the line w/out constantly wrestling it.  

Wider bars and 2CTs did it for me... Wink

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
freeflydive

« Reply #591 on: August 17, 2011, 03:42:04 AM »

Did you get the EVR instructions?  If not I can scan mine for you.  You definitely need the stack order to install.

If its not too much trouble, please send me the directions you have.  I've been watching the youtube videos by EVR to learn in case I end up installing it.  I'm waiting on SSD to confirm an appt for this week, otherwise I may take you up on your offer. 

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #592 on: August 17, 2011, 08:44:12 AM »

I swear the rear sag measured at a very low number when you wrote it down...like 10 or so, and I brought it up to 14mm (ball park).  Is my memory off?   

That is why I record all the settings for each of the bikes I help set up.  There's still some things we can do adjustment wise to make it turn in easier.

Maybe someday we should swap bikes for a little while just to compare. Brandon doesn't think his S1000RR turns all that good either, not that it is a pig, but that it does take some muscle compared to the smaller bikes.

All bikes have their own characteristics and there is only so much you can do to change them to what you like.  Dolph

freeflydive

« Reply #593 on: August 18, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »

Rick- You're welcome to take my bike for a test/spin anytime...you're one of the few guys I'd trust my bike with.

Carbon14- Thanks for the offer, but I was able to drop the bike off at SSD for install...thanks again for the info.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:30:25 PM by freeflydive » Logged

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #594 on: August 19, 2011, 02:40:47 AM »

Rick- You're welcome to take my bike for a test/spin anytime...you're one of the few guys I'd trust my bike with.

Evil

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #595 on: August 19, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »

Evil

You, over there, SHUSH!  laughingdp

MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #596 on: August 19, 2011, 08:40:48 AM »

You're welcome on the scan.  Glad to hear you're getting it taken care of with "other warranty issues".  I always just grab the wrenches and get after things.  I guess I'm conditioned to that because it doesn't seem likely I will own a new bike with a warranty in my entire lifetime.  I look at the new bikes in the showroom and although they're pretty they just don't hold any appeal to me.  No character or something.  On the other hand I'm drawn to buying a scrub out of some stank garage like a moth is drawn to the flame.  Undecided

Off hand I'd say you haven't done badly for a moth.   Grin

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #597 on: August 19, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »

You, over there, SHUSH!  laughingdp

Grin

sta

'95 ZX6R sold '07 Monster S2R1K

« Reply #598 on: September 09, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »

Is this Sunday the monthly duc ride?
MadDuck
The anti-

« Reply #599 on: September 10, 2011, 09:14:34 AM »

Is this Sunday the monthly duc ride?

Following the second Sunday of each month rule it is.  I'm thinking we should meet up earlier at our usual spot and get going sooner and then get out to SSD after some riding. I know FFD has a flight out in the afternoon and I have to get ready for a mainland trip on Monday.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: