Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 04:53:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bleach in gas  (Read 3130 times)
DesmoDiva

« on: May 19, 2008, 07:52:57 AM »

So B ran out of gas this weekend, and a good sumaritan went and got gas for him.

But the needed gas was delivered in a bleach bottle.  He rode the bike the rest of the way home, about 3 miles with no issues.

Last night he started it up to move it and he complained it smelled of bleach.

How much should he worry about contamination? 

Dilute what is in the tank or get it out and start fresh?

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
Juan

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:58:49 AM »

Get it out and start fresh...!!

red baron

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »

+1

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 10:26:11 AM »

It shouldn't cause any longterm damage, but I would drain the tank, flush it with about 1/4th gallon gas and then drain that.

Then put in some HEET, which is a fuel line "Drier" (it's just alcohol), and fill it with good gas.

Run it hard and don't inhale the fumes.

bleach (sodium hypochlorite) breaks down to salt and water in the presence of heat, you just need to make sure once it's broken down the salt is expelled.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »

Its a good oxidiser

Capo de tuti capi
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 06:33:08 PM »

How much bleach could there possibly have been?

I'd just fill the tank right up, and then go for a long enough ride to get it close-ish to empty and fill it up again, then forget about it...

big (If I was about to leave it sitting for a few weeks I might consider doing something more drastic...)

A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:17:41 AM »

How much bleach could there possibly have been?

I'd just fill the tank right up, and then go for a long enough ride to get it close-ish to empty and fill it up again, then forget about it...

big (If I was about to leave it sitting for a few weeks I might consider doing something more drastic...)

I'd do what Big says if it was me, of course draining is never a bad idea...

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
MendoDave
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »

If it runs I say take it for a long ride with at least one fill up.
Pancake81

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 02:36:54 PM »

Dont want to be the jerk here, but... My shop teacher always told us if we wanted to destroy an engine to use bleach instead if sugar. I mean i am sure a bit wont do to much, but apparently its not a greath thing to have in their.

About the same time you're dragging your knees through a series of tight left-right-handers on Sunday afternoon, some guy in white shoes is sweating a 3-foot putt. Go figure.
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 03:01:17 PM »

Dont want to be the jerk here, but... My shop teacher always told us if we wanted to destroy an engine to use bleach instead if sugar. I mean i am sure a bit wont do to much, but apparently its not a greath thing to have in their.

That's because bleach is an extreme oxidizer. The tiny trace bits of bleach that were in that bottle aren't going to rust the tank if dilluted with a new full tank of gas and run through quick.

If you pour bleach in a mostly empty gas tank on a car, it will rust the tank pretty dramatically. Rust will clog the fuel filter, or if there isn't one, the carb/injectors. Also, you'll have a destroyed gas tank.

The only way I'd be worried about this case is if the bleach bottle wasn't empty when he filled it up.

Sugar won't do anything to a car unless there's so much in there it clogs the filter.

If you doubt me, they did it all on mythbusters.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: