Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:11:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking the rear loose going into a turn  (Read 10637 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 03:01:51 PM »

I thought the 800's come with a slipper clutch? No?

Yes, but no Angry
Someone told me no, I said yes. Doubting Ducati marketing and myself I tried going from 4th to 2nd at about 50 and fast releasing the lever = not really a real slipper clutch.

On topic: in a car I would counter steer and continue the slide a second or two with the throttle. On a bike that has to be more difficult, but if I was able to control a bike properly (not yet) that's what I would have tried. Easy ON the throttle and little/no front brakes might be the second best solution? No expert - just thinking

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Airborne
Crash n' Burn

Monster S2R 800 - ALL BLACK

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 03:02:16 PM »

I've had this happen to me on my s2r 800. Came in too hot and hit down from 2nd to 1st i think and broke it loose. I think its best to just relax and much as you can and ride it out. Any quick action would probably upset the bike more. When the wheel starts spinning again it'll kick itself back in and everything will be alright given it doesn't buck you off when that happens. In most vehicles in pretty much every type of situation if you just remember to relax it always helps.

2007 Monster S2R, Vespa GTS 300, Vino 125
johnster

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 05:47:27 PM »

By the way, if you happen to discover that your rear wheel has broken loose while slowing down, there is only one question to ask:

-What would Chris Vermeulen do?Huh?   Grin   (The video title says it's Vermeulen, but I'm not sure...)

applause
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 05:58:38 PM by Johnster » Logged

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 08:40:55 PM »

I saved somehow but am not really sure what I did.

I think as you get better and more experienced at riding you reach a point where you do things just because they "feel" right even though you don't think about what or why you are doing what your doing JMHO. 

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
misti

Leap and the net will appear!

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 12:48:33 PM »

Remember... if your rear breaks loose, never chop the throttle or pull in the clutch.  You're setting yourself to get spat off superman style.  Stay lightly on the gas and keep opening the throttle gently.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good answer grasshopper Smiley  You must have read an article on that somewhere  coffee  See you in November!

Misti

misti

Leap and the net will appear!

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »

I also meant to ask, what else could cause the rear end to slide out on you?

Misti

DucFanatic

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 10:31:25 AM »

i never have this problem on my 07 r6 Wink even @ 13K downshifts decels
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 04:45:11 PM »

I also meant to ask, what else could cause the rear end to slide out on you?

Misti

If you do an OMG-STOPPIE going into a downhill turn after a long straight after outbraking someone because their 600 just plain old out pulls your 75 hp on that straight and they just passed you, but you knew they'd park in front of you unless you were a little less intimidated by that turn.  Not like I just did that on Sunday or anything like that.   Embarrassed Grin  (Ok, ok, so it was the entrance to 1 at Barber.)

I got my first experience with the rear getting reeeeally light.  It was a little scary on conventional forks, since I know I don't get the same brake feel as I  would on USDs.  I'm sure that to most, it looked like nothing much, but I'm still new to the track, and it was the first time it happened so I can't exactly say I was cool as a cucumber about it.  It felt a bit scary, but I just made a concerted effort to do everything else to set up for that turn.  I backed off the brakes in time and smoothly enough not to let the front suspension hop up, but I did royally goober my line, didn't get a good drive on the exit, and almost let the other rider past in the next turn because of my mistake.  I don't think I ended up pushing the front at all, but the rear certainly did feel... strange in that turn.  [minor threadjack] Unfortunately, the previous rider is 1.5 times my weight, so this thing is sprung like a surfboard and I can't always feel everything that is going on.  Suspension work is next on this bike.  I'm finally getting to the point where my suspension is writing its complaints all over my rubber. [/minor threadjack]

Maybe not so much of a threadjack.  An improperly adjusted shock will also cause unnecessary rear slide.  Too much throttle will compound this problem. 

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »

+1 on the suspension.  Although it's tough to say without having been on the bike, I have an 05 800 and have frequent problems with rear suspension adjustment.  I guess I should use the term adjustment loosely.  I'm 6'3" 220 and the suspension just won't cut it.  On more than one occasion I've hit the apex of a turn and had the rear end stutter on me, both while accelerating (on a normal turn) or decelerating (on a "pucker" turn).  I've not been riding for too long, but I unfortunately think this is one of those damn experience situations.  And now for your viewing pleasure, a picturesque example of you should take care of such a situation-

http://www.youtube.com/v/l6bXqFZCzeU&hl=en&fs=1

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 05:56:25 AM »

^
Awesome applause

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Cider

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »

This is a long download, but the quality is excellent, and it has tons of sliding:

http://www.racerxfilms.com/Supermoto06folder/Supermoto06.html

Here's a decent (if short) article on sliding the rear:

http://www.supermotoracer.com/SMR%20Tech%20stories/iss2_backitin.pdf
Crazy Canadian

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »

get your hard braking and down changes done before the bend then trail the rear brake gently if u need a steadying effect dont use front in the bend a bit of throttle to give bite and all will be well.

+1.  That's what I do and it seems to work for me.  I've heard never touch the rear break but I believe that's for inexperienced riders.  Riding the rear lightly and accelerating seems to be a good way to keep the bike firm into the turn.

2007 S2R 800, 14T Front Sprocket, Simple Tail Chop, SpeedyMoto Sliders, Arrow Steering Damper, Rizoma Reverse Retro Bar End Mirrors, Arrow Full Exhaust, Crazy Ass Driver.
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »

I've heard never touch the rear break brake but I believe that's for inexperienced riders.  Riding the rear lightly and accelerating seems to be a good way to keep the bike firm into the turn.
Light throttle should be all that you need in a turn.  I can't imagine using the rear brake with the throttle on at any speed over ten miles per hour.  Just use the throttle in turns.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 10:00:40 AM »

+1

Im with Scott.

Rear + throttle seems like impending doom at some point.

Im a throttle only guy unless Im in too hot, then Ill trail the front through the turn as long as I need to get down to a comfy speed.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
blue tiger

I'm damn near as tough as I am stupid.

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 08:46:16 PM »

When I feel the back end step out a bit I try to do nothing. Keep the same throttle or keep the same level of acceleration. I know it is usually from downshifting to quick and that it will settle itself out if I don't do anything stupid. I also get a little slippery feeling if I cross the centerline (obviously with a clear view of empty oncoming lanes) then cut across it for my line. Then I get some slippage with both wheels. Shocked Had it happen a few dozen times the other day. The thing is I know it's only slipping a few inches at most. I also know since I'm not letting it hang way out that there is plenty of room for a few wiggles.

I'm here to kick a*! and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: