Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:07:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking the rear loose going into a turn  (Read 10640 times)
erkishhorde

« on: May 19, 2008, 09:07:49 AM »

So the other day I got frustrated being caught behind a cager and after I slowed down to get some distance between us I gunned it up a hill only to realize there was a relatively sharp right hander at the top of the hill. I down shifted but had too many revs and broke the rear tire loose and it slid about a foot before catching again. I saved somehow but am not really sure what I did. All I remember was a oh-shit moment and then I think I slipped the clutch a bit and gave it some gas to try and even out the engine and wheel speeds. But I'm not even sure that that's what I did.

What do you do when you lose the rear going into a turn?

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:11:10 AM »

Not sure which model of motorcycle you have, but sounds like you didn't properly match revs when you down shifted.  Did the rear wheel chirp at you?  If the rear wheel starts to slide, you should maintain the throttle and not chop it, until it gains traction on its own.
erkishhorde

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »

No, no chirping. Just spun it. You are correct that I didn't match revs properly. I was way off. I've been practicing adjusting my speed with the engine more than the brakes and really botched it.  Roll Eyes

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »

This same topic just came up on a different forum, except it was a new R6 rider who was having problems shifting before a turn.  He even had a slipper clutch to help him out.

I'll give you the same answer, though - don't downshift right before the turn starts.  Actually, my advice to him was to not shift at all on a twisty road until he learns to shift more smoothly.  I recommended that he stay in second gear.  On a Ducati, stay in either third or fourth gear depending on how fast you're going.

As long as you're over maybe 3500 rpms on a Ducati, you're probably better off not changing gears.

Since the rear wheel wasn't locked up, just going a bit slower than the pavement beneath it, the bike will usually slide around a little bit, but you're not normally in imminent danger of a high side.  And I'll bet you were more like four inches out of line rather than a foot.  It just felt like it slid out a foot.

So the first answer to your question is "don't do that".  But if you screw up and do it anyway, steer the bike as best you can until it hooks back up.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
jesse370

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 05:08:14 PM »

I kinda like it.....makes the ride more interesting  Grin

BUT I don't make a habit of doing it.

White S4Rs | Ducati Performance Chip | Termi's | Hyperpro side mount damper | Motowheels MW-7000 Slipper | Billet Clutch Cover |  Speedymoto Ti Spring Caps | Speedymoto Stainless Springs | STM Frame Plugs | Ducati Performance Seat | CRG Roll-A-Clicks
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 05:23:29 PM »

So the first answer to your question is "don't do that".

That seems to be the solution to most of my riding problems!

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
spaugh

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 09:16:54 PM »

I just picked up my first street bike, 05 s2r 800 and I have the same problem.  Coming off a dirt bike, sometimes I forget that you can't just slam the shifter down on the pavement like on the dirt.  To slow down fast on the dirt, I just slam down the gears not even using the clutch lever.  Works good on dirt, a little scary on pavement.  Do it a few times and you will start to remember to not just downshift so hard, at least thats how its working out for me.
spinned

time to ride!

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 09:23:36 PM »

Actually breaking the tire loose in a turn is easy to do.  One good way to help is to install a slipper clutch.

Also maybe your tire pressure is too high so there is less tire surface on the road.  I put my tire pressure on the MAX recommended PSI and my back tire was all over the place.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 06:41:19 PM by spinned » Logged

CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 05:02:51 AM »

I just picked up my first street bike, 05 s2r 800 and I have the same problem

I thought the 800's come with a slipper clutch? No?
johnster

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 05:26:32 AM »

Coming off a dirt bike, sometimes I forget that you can't just slam the shifter down on the pavement like on the dirt.  To slow down fast on the dirt, I just slam down the gears not even using the clutch lever. 

If it's a 2-stroke dirt bike, there is a lot less engine compression which is another reason that you can bang down the gears with no clutch....Old 2-stroke GP bikes were like that too....Much less engine braking....

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
Qfactor

Same shift, different gear.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 07:06:14 AM »

I thought the 800's come with a slipper clutch? No?

it's a "fake" slipper clutch, it's more of a dampened clutch in the way it operates.

Q

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."
spaugh

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:15:23 PM »

If it's a 2-stroke dirt bike, there is a lot less engine compression which is another reason that you can bang down the gears with no clutch....Old 2-stroke GP bikes were like that too....Much less engine braking....

naw its a 450 four stroke.  Otherwise like you said, slamming down the gears wouldn't really slow me down.  Down shift hard on a 4 stroke and you slow down quick like.
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 09:58:51 PM »

Remember... if your rear breaks loose, never chop the throttle or pull in the clutch.  You're setting yourself to get spat off superman style.  Stay lightly on the gas and keep opening the throttle gently.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »

Remember... if your rear breaks loose, never chop the throttle or pull in the clutch.  You're setting yourself to get spat off superman style.  Stay lightly on the gas and keep opening the throttle gently.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ive heard a few things, but that seems to be the best answer. just ride it out. If you try to apply throttle, or correct it, you'll just be eating dirt.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
jerryz

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 04:48:24 AM »

get your hard braking and down changes done before the bend then trail the rear brake gently if u need a steadying effect dont use front in the bend a bit of throttle to give bite and all will be well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: