Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 08:20:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gauge Swap...tach cable...PLEASE HELP  (Read 2000 times)
raulduke

Classically Trained Chef and Pizza Delivery Driver

« on: May 19, 2008, 04:01:34 PM »

I am going to swap the gauges on my 2000 750 Dark for a new set (one of my mounts is broke).  The new gauges have no tach...just speedo and idiot lights.  My old gauges have a tach.

First questions.  The cable for the tach runs into the back of the the unit but does not unplug or unscrew (as the speedo and lights do).  How do I disconnect it?  Take the tach apart?

Second question.  What to do with the cable when not in use.  I would like to have a tach...someday again (just cannot find a used gauges set with one right now).  Assuming I do get the cable disconnected what should I do with it.  I would like to keep it pretty much in place for easy re-install.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:35:04 PM by raulduke » Logged

Certified Organic and Cage Free
Dave R

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:31:34 PM »

I can't remember what year the 750 started coming with a tach ??   If your 00 came from the factory with a tach why not just buy the base holder that it all mounted into ? #40710091A  for about $65..  If it is an after market set up you may still be able to use the OEM two guage holder if your tach is round and not a digital type..

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:14:02 AM »

I can't remember what year the 750 started coming with a tach ??   If your 00 came from the factory with a tach why not just buy the base holder that it all mounted into ? #40710091A  for about $65..  If it is an after market set up you may still be able to use the OEM two guage holder if your tach is round and not a digital type..

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
raulduke

Classically Trained Chef and Pizza Delivery Driver

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:56:37 PM »

Tach is rectangular and LED...and butt ugly.  I will miss having a tach and would LOVE to replace it with an analog tach (but can't find one)...so the orginal question stands.

Any thoughts?

Certified Organic and Cage Free
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 03:47:46 AM »

Tach is rectangular and LED...and butt ugly.  I will miss having a tach and would LOVE to replace it with an analog tach (but can't find one)...so the orginal question stands.

Any thoughts?
The harness for those tachs plugged in back by the ignition units IIRC.

I wouldn't cut it as you may end up shorting an ignitor. Lift the tank and trace the wiring.

edit....If you have to unplug one of the ignitors (the little black box)...be very careful. Those things are fragile and can be ruined if you aren't careful.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:56:54 AM by ducpainter » Logged

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: