Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 10:56:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earplugs????  (Read 71142 times)
Duc Buz

Bad Cop, No Duc

« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2011, 07:59:12 AM »

Never have but may give it a shot.

11B4P (Ret) US Army
2003 620 Dark (Matte Silver)
RBX QB
« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »

i have never wore earplugs, i have chopped d&d exhaust. i have though about it but i have a bluetooth helmet with built in speakers so plugs would interfere with me hearing the speakers

False.

I ride with plugs all the time, and can hear my comm system just fine (& iPod). Also able to take phone calls when needed (on the freeway, no less). Effectively, the plugs only eliminate the excessive wind noise. The speakers are so close to your ear canal, that the plugs don't really hinder what they put out. It does take some effort to ensure the speakers are lined up with your ears for best sound, but after that you're good to go.

I would say that choice of ear plugs comes in to play... I've used the foam things, and now have some rubber ones I picked up at Guitar Center (22db, I think). Comm system might be a factor, too. I keep mine at full volume when I have the plugs in. Without plugs (which happens rarely), I have to drop the volume by half, or else my ears start bleeding.

My opinion is, try them once, then decide. The foam ones are cheap enough that it's not a cost issue. If it helps keep your hearing longer...
Triple J
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »

i have never wore earplugs, i have chopped d&d exhaust. i have though about it but i have a bluetooth helmet with built in speakers so plugs would interfere with me hearing the speakers

No worries, Tinnitus will interfere with you hearing anything in the future.  Wink
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2011, 11:52:55 AM »

I've got a radio on a speaker in my helmet and it's more clear with earplugs.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
lawmaster891

« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »

i may have to try them out then. i can get them from work so ill have to grab a few pairs
R0CKETMAN

« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2011, 02:57:16 AM »

No worries, Tinnitus will interfere with you hearing anything in the future.  Wink

So true. Wear your plugs fellas..

"Bones Heal, Chicks Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"
bevel
She called it a

« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2011, 11:09:41 AM »

I remember my very first ride on my bike - taking it from a friend's house home for the first time.

Halfway home, I stopped at a drug store, bought a 10pk of plugs, and have never gone more then 2 miles without them since.

BEST. INVESTMENT. EVER.

Howard Leight MAX plugs, 33db reduction foam disposables. I buy them in bulk and swap out to a new pair every few weeks.

2003 SV650
Eventually I'll have a Ducati
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2011, 09:05:53 AM »

I wear my trap shooting plugs which last forever.  If you can track down a large trap shooting event you can get them made on the spot for around $40.00.   At least that was the cost the last time I bought them.  Custom fit, different colors and comfortable as they can get.  Do a search for large local or state trapshoots, thier are always vendors that will fix you up in about 20 minutes.

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2011, 07:50:24 AM »

I bought a pair of Big Ear custom plugs at a show once.  They squirt what looks like RTV into your ear and it hardens up.  They coat with silicone or something and mail them to you a couple weeks later.

I do like them, but I think they have changed shape over the last 4 years or so.  It's possible my ears have also changed shape, but i wouldn't think they've changed much.

For the most part, I use these $20 JVC ear buds with the foam things on backwards (keeps them from working out of my ears) and I listen to music when I ride.  Sound is good, wind noise reduction is as good as (sometimes better I think) than the Big Ear custom ones.

BTW  Big Ear wanted $300 for stereo ear buds Shocked

None for me Grin

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
docwoody

« Reply #159 on: July 04, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »

Tried this out last night. I just used some cheap disposable foam ear plugs I acquired from a shooting range. At first it was kind of weird to me but then I realized after a few miles my concentration level was way higher than it normally was. I also felt more like one with my bike. For now on I will never ride without them. Try it out sometime and share your experience.

'06 S2R 1000
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #160 on: July 04, 2012, 03:43:43 PM »

Tried this out last night. I just used some cheap disposable foam ear plugs I acquired from a shooting range. At first it was kind of weird to me but then I realized after a few miles my concentration level was way higher than it normally was. I also felt more like one with my bike. For now on I will never ride without them. Try it out sometime and share your experience.

not sure if it was stated anywhere in this thread, but you'll also find that over long rides you'll feel less fatigue.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #161 on: July 04, 2012, 11:21:53 PM »

Best option:

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Earplugs-Uncorded-NRR33/dp/B0013A0C0Y/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

After getting that box... you just never really run out for a long long time.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
Ak1nza

« Reply #162 on: July 05, 2012, 07:49:23 PM »

I use these earplugs when I ride freeway and/or long distance:

http://www.earpeace.com/

I also use the foam ones, although I tend to have an issue getting a proper seal on my left ear canal with the foam ones, and it takes me a few minutes each time to get it right.  With the Ear Peace plugs it's fairly easy to get it seated right.  I would definitely recommend them.  I even use them with my Sena bluetooth comms system. 

I don't get fast enough to have wind noise riding in the city here in New York, so no plugs when I'm ripping around the city.

-----------------------------------
2006 S2R800 Dark - SOLD
2007 S4RS
Goat_Herder

« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »

Good thread.  I am going to look into some hearing protection, especially after my last long(er) distance trip.  My ears were ringing after a day of riding.  Since then, I am becoming more aware of wind noise even during daily commute. 

I will definitely look into the Ear Peace.

Goat Herder (Tony)
2003 Ducati Monster 620 - Yellow SOLD
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Black KILLED
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000 - Red
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2012, 10:48:18 AM »

I bought some 3M ones from lowes the other day.

these ones

-26db. They work great, cuts out all of the wind noise and most of the exhaust too......guess i'll have to get new pipes  Evil
It's wierd having such a quiet ride.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: