Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 07:11:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shift to first....stall....  (Read 3352 times)
Jnaids07

« on: May 20, 2008, 03:56:31 AM »

Raise kickstand, start bike in neutral, pull clutch lever, hold brake lever, shift to first....quick lunge/stall... bang head

IIRC it is from clutch plates sticking together after sitting for a day or two.  Is this correct?  Is there a known remedy? (I live right near the ocean, if that matters)

I am wondering if this is a request for an oil change, however it hasn't been too long and the oil looks good.

04 620 ie. (wet clutch(obvious I know, just wanted to be clear(however if I had been able to do a wet-dry clutch conversion, I probably wouldn't be asking this question in the first place))) laughingdp

| '04 M620 Capirex | DP Remus High Exhaust | Open Air Box w/ K&N Filter | 14t Front Sprocket | Apex Clip-Ons | Rizoma Billet Grips | CRG Hindsight LS Mirrors | Lowered Gauges/Fairing/Headlight/Signals | HID Headlight | CC Frame Sliders | Carbon Pieces | Wire Ties / Reflectors / Stickers Removed |
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:20:46 AM »

It is from the plates sticking, or incomplete disengagement...or a combination of the two.

You might be able to eliminate it by rocking the bike in gear with the lever pulled to free the plates, or you might try bleeding the clutch.

Any lurching after the first time in the morning?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Jnaids07

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 05:02:02 AM »

Any lurching after the first time in the morning?

Nope, it seems that the lurching is only at first startup.  I am going to stick with the clutch plate argument.  Is there any way that you know of to prevent the sticking in the first place?

| '04 M620 Capirex | DP Remus High Exhaust | Open Air Box w/ K&N Filter | 14t Front Sprocket | Apex Clip-Ons | Rizoma Billet Grips | CRG Hindsight LS Mirrors | Lowered Gauges/Fairing/Headlight/Signals | HID Headlight | CC Frame Sliders | Carbon Pieces | Wire Ties / Reflectors / Stickers Removed |
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 05:52:19 AM »

Nope, it seems that the lurching is only at first startup.  I am going to stick with the clutch plate argument.  Is there any way that you know of to prevent the sticking in the first place?

I'd go with doing an oil change and following DP's advice of bumping them free in the meantime, although I've never heard of wet clutch plates sticking because of gunky oil.  How long has it been (miles and time) since your last change and what kind of oil are you running?  Your clutch plates wouldn't be sticking from living by the ocean unless you run an open clutch cover, which I'm assuming you haven't done the dry clutch conversion.  My plates have stuck after washing my bike, and it behaves just like that.  If you have adjustable levers, adjust your lever out a click or two (that will help you get into neutral more easily, too). 

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 05:59:03 AM »

My trackbike does it a bit, but doesn't stall, so it's a non issue.

Are you running 10/40 or 20/50?

The 10/40 may make a difference...if you're due for a change it would be worth a try.

What's happening is the discs are 'stuck' by the oil viscosity...not dirty oil.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Jnaids07

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 06:21:54 AM »

Are you running 10/40 or 20/50?

The 10/40 may make a difference...if you're due for a change it would be worth a try.

What's happening is the discs are 'stuck' by the oil viscosity...not dirty oil.

I'll be bringing the bike in for its 6k sometime soon so i'll just have the oil changed at the same time.  The issue doesnt happen constantly, but it is enough to get annoying.  I'll live with it for a few hundred miles more unless major damage is being done. 

Thanks for the input.   waytogo

Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 06:22:52 AM »

Hmmm... come to think of it, every bike I've ridden with a wet clutch has a big lurch when shifting into first, but not so much that it stalls.  I'm just so used to my dry clutch that it didn't occur to me until now.  My SV for the track, formerly Stillie's GSX-R 1000, buddy's 620, and a few others. 

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
Rameses
Local Moderator

*Your Mom* has a Hypermotard

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 09:56:06 AM »

While I can't be of any assistance with preventing the plates from sticking, I have an idea for you to keep it from stalling.

With the bike running in neutral with the clutch lever pulled, try giving it a little gas (with the front brake applied) while shifting into first.

That should keep the bike from lurching on you while giving it enough power to keep from stalling and break the plates apart.

teddy037.2
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 01:17:08 PM »

mine's does that on occasion... but only when it's the cold start.

another dude's S2R800 does that cold, too.
ute

I Have Titanium

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 03:20:52 PM »

also happens with mine ...just changd the oil form 10/40  to 20/50 ...thats when it started

so its not dirty oil but as someone else stated its the viscosity
printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 05:18:06 PM »

The stock steel plates can rust together (light rusting like car brake rotors) causing them too stick. Only happened to me once after I washed the bike, clutch open and let it sit for 2 days.

Could switch to aluminum assembly. It won't rust.

Also make sure the clutch has new fluid and bled fully. If the fluid is burned up, it will react in odd ways

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
Ddan
Some of my best friends are whores

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 05:33:20 PM »

The stock steel plates can rust together (light rusting like car brake rotors) causing them too stick. Only happened to me once after I washed the bike, clutch open and let it sit for 2 days.

Could switch to aluminum assembly. It won't rust.

Also make sure the clutch has new fluid and bled fully. If the fluid is burned up, it will react in odd ways
Wet clutch

2000 Monster 900Sie, a few changes
1992 900 SS, currently a pile of parts.  Now running
                    flogged successfully  NHMS  12 customized.  Twice.   T3 too. 
Ducati Monster Forum at
www.ducatimonsterforum.org
printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 12:20:08 AM »

Wet clutch

Well than this won't help will it.  cheeky

Thats what I get for reading thru it to fast

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: