Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:07:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How'd you get your 1st ducati?  (Read 16046 times)
shellbelle

« on: June 25, 2009, 11:19:25 AM »

Hi! I'm a new rider (been riding for a measely month now).
I currently ride a ninja but I am totally in love with the 696, however, short of selling an organ or my citizenship, I am a poor college student who will probably never get to sit on a new one (or even a used one) for many many years.
Which got me thinking, how did you end up getting your 1st ducati? AND is it true that it's expensive to maintain?
duqette

Does this bike make my butt look fast?

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:37:34 PM »

Hey, you don't really need two kidneys....  Wink

I rode around on an 82 Nighthawk 650 for almost a year before I upgraded to my first Duc. I bought used from a local seller that I think I found on craigslist.

I had lots of assistance from an experienced rider friend, testing out the Duc, and helping out with the huge wad of cash such a purchase requires.

"Youth is wasted on the young." --GB Shaw
shellbelle

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 03:42:05 PM »

that's what I keep telling myself.. (about the kidneys that is).. that or sell some eggs HAHAHAH Tongue
Stella

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 05:22:25 PM »

When I moved to CO four years ago, I didn't know anyone and it just dawned on me that I could get my own bike to ride around and explore the state.  I'd ridden cupcake with friends/boyfriends for a long time and we also grew up with small bikes (50 & 80cc). 

I first bought a Yamaha V-Star (it was inexpensive and reliable).  Rode that for less than a year without that "holy s#%* this is a blast" feeling as I was expecting.  It was just...meh.  A client mentioned that another vendor of his was selling her Ducati and my ears perked up.  Bought the bike, gained a friend and then 2 years later began working for her.  Oh and I found a super cool b/f through the DMF plus met a bunch of other great people through here too!   waytogo chug [moto].

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 08:30:32 PM »

I started out riding on a GS500F I picked up after the MSF class.  I had fun on it, but was a bit intimidated in parking or hilly situations as it was just a little bit tall and top-heavy for me.

Then several months later, I went to the International Motorcycle Show and sat on many of the bikes.  When I got to the 695 it was love at first sight sit...it just fit me so much better than my Suzuki, plus it looked so hot. Wink

It didn't take me long to make up my mind and buy one (my company was acquired and cashed out our stock options...first time I ever had any that were worth anything).

Oh and I found a super cool b/f through the DMF plus met a bunch of other great people through here too!   waytogo chug [moto].

Me too except my b/f is now my husband. Smiley

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
shellbelle

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 02:25:07 PM »

it definitely doesn't feel like what i always thought a motorcycle should feel like when i ride around on the ninja...
i'm just going to have to make my mind up and buckle down and get one it sounds like Tongue
Stella

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 02:46:30 PM »

it definitely doesn't feel like what i always thought a motorcycle should feel like when i ride around on the ninja...
i'm just going to have to make my mind up and buckle down and get one it sounds like Tongue

Highly recommended, however if you're incurring student loans, the thought of adding another loan (if you can't pay for one outright) would make me nervous in this economy.  Definitely great deals out there with pre-owned bikes.   Consider all your options before impulse buying.  (Buzz kill, aren't I?!)    Wink

"To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites." ~ Robert Heinlein
Princess
1.5 hrs from Laguna Seca

:( broke a nail doing a wheelie the other day :(

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 07:11:08 AM »

pre-Monster, I owned several bikes... it's always best to put as much $ down as possible on any vehicle purchase. However, just remember a motorcycle is a toy (and most people who own them treat them so). Be sure you're happy with what you want to buy.

I had a Honda 70 Elite - but it doesn't count.

I owned a 1995 Suzuki RF 600 (new) - was a nice motorcycle but compared to the next bike I bought I was glad to trade up. I sold the Suzuki for cash and used the cash for my next purchase.

Next ride I had was a 1994 GSX-R 600 (used) - I really liked it but was really heavy and I got used to the upshift/downshift thing a lot - a lot of work cornering it since it was a huge pig.

Bought a Suzuki VX800 (Maurader - new) - ended up financing this one - sold it for cash eventually. After riding this, it got me interested in the V-twin engines. I really liked the sounds and torque (and less shifting!!) - but it was a cruiser.

Bought my 2000 Monster 750 (new) - I think i had some $$ set aside for this one and used the cash from the other bike to put down on it. I modded this a lot - and the next bike I get I will leave stock. I bought it primarily b/c it was the only bike I could put 2 feet down on the pavement (not flat footed though) - I'm 5'1 so I'm like tinkerbell on the motorcycle. It is a very fun ride. Differences (besides the L-twin engine vs in-line 4) mostly the clutch - which is hydraulic - you'll be able to tell the difference right away.

I suggest trying out someone's ride if they'll let you. I'm in Northern California - I'd let you try mine out if you were near.

As far as upkeep costs (repairs, services etc) - they're not inherently high because they're Ducatis... it's because of the engine design. You'll see this apparent in the auto industry as well. V8 engines or V6 engines vs the in-line engines (no matter if they're cars or bikes) will always require more maintenance. Higher torque values require shorter intervals b/t services - the less power the bike has, the longer you can go without the service (in general, all things considered equal). You can do alot of the servicing on your own (chain tension, oil change) - the valve adjustments you can do at home if you like working on vehicles. I'd recommend if you're on a budget and wanting to not take it in to the dealer or someone to do it for you ($350 for valve adjustment - maybe more... not sure of the current price right now) - have someone help you who's done it before. They have videos and  valve adj. kits that have the parts you need for it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:15:35 AM by Princess » Logged

mangeldbug

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:03:33 AM »

I always coveted the Monster, but my boyfriend (now husband) told me I had to get a bike I didnt mind dropping to learn on. 

I rode a 1981 Honda CB400T for about a year before upgrading.  A friend knew I wanted a Monster and was keeping an eye on local PA forums and finally found one.  It was 4 years old with less than 2000 miles, and was well below KBB and definitely a couple thousand less than new.  I was in graduate school and had just finished paying for a wedding when I decided to get it.  I got a personal loan since I didnt qualify for a used vehicle loan - the bike was one year too old for a used vehicle loan.

I just slowly paid it off throwing more at it when I could.  January 1, 2009 I made my last payment  [moto]

2002 M750Si.e. "Senna" - Meravigliosa, Mera for short
2017 390 Duke Commuter
2001 XT225 Zombie Assault Vehicle
1987 YSR50 #116 race bike
Major Slow

09 1198s 07 S4R 04 FLSTFI 04 XL1200C 66 cl77

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 11:44:14 AM »

Hi! I'm a new rider (been riding for a measely month now).
I currently ride a ninja but I am totally in love with the 696, however, short of selling an organ or my citizenship, I am a poor college student who will probably never get to sit on a new one (or even a used one) for many many years.
Which got me thinking, how did you end up getting your 1st ducati? AND is it true that it's expensive to maintain?

If you live in MN you can ride mine. Poor thing sits too much.

You cannot argue with crazy because crazy is not willing to be convinced. Hell, it's not even willing to listen to the arguments.
DucaChic

09 Monster 696

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 03:53:56 PM »

Years ago I saw my first Ducati Monster and kept saying, some day.
On a rainy Saturday last fall, we were out to lunch with the kids; my husband took a much different route home than usual and we ended up at Trebour Motorcycles in Ledgewood, NJ. We all rushed in from the rain and began walking around the shop. My husband asked the sales person if they had a White 696 (of course they did). We walked over and took a look, but I didn't want to tease myself by sitting on it. My husband saw my apprehension and said, "Right now, if you want this bike, I'll buy it". Silly me, I said, No.
He immediately said, "OK kids. let's go". My jaw dropped, I said wait! He looked at me and said, "Right now, if you want this bike, I'll buy it, TODAY". I understood, he wanted to know if I really wanted it; I said yes!
At that moment I thought I heard a chorus of angels singing, but it turned to be the sales manager.
I have added a few accessories to the bike since, and a new wardrobe for me of course; I love my Monster.

somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 07:32:19 PM »

At that moment I thought I heard a chorus of angels singing, but it turned to be the sales manager.

laughingdp laughingdp

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
maillotpois

Faster on my Merckx

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:09:43 AM »

Great stories - especially the chorus of angels...   Grin

I got a Vespa about 4 years ago and it was fun and easy, but it didn't handle like a real bike (I'm a long distance cyclist and have raced bicycles).  When I took the MSF course for my scooter license, I noticed that even the silly motos they had us on for that handled better than the Vespa.  So I sold the Vespa to my father in law and got a Triumph Bonneville, which was my idea of what motorcycles "should" look like.

After riding the Bonnie for a couple of years, including a several-day trip, I started to realize that it was a bit cumbersome and just didn't handle great.  This was especially apparent after I crashed my bicycle at the beginning of last year and broke my shoulder - I was left with some residual lack of strength there (and I am terrible at sticking with the weights/PT).  And I started noticing motorcycles and getting a better idea of what other sorts looked good.

I rode the 696 and bought it the same day.  We really like our local dealer (having bought 3 motos there now), and the took the Bonnie in trade and I left with a shiny new Monster - which I promptly low sided at the end of my first long ride, requiring an upgrade to termis.   Roll Eyes

It's a great bike - easy to ride from the first day and we just keep getting better acquainted all the time.

My hovercraft is full of eels.
ducgrl

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »

saw it at the dealership and fell in love with it.  a couple weeks later, my husband took me to another dealership and had the bike ready for me.  Grin

2008 S2R1000
2011 Harley Davidson V-Rod Muscle
shellbelle

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:40:12 AM »

i too saw the parting of clouds and the beam of light coming down from the heavens onto this bike. did i really need to buy it? probably not. do i love it and haven't looked back since? most definitely.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: