Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 19, 2024, 09:27:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston outlaws exhausts without EPA certification  (Read 14007 times)
Grrrly

Industrial Grrrl

« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »

Here in NYC, this is not just about Harleys!  It's geared towards EVERYONE, with heavy pressure on the sportbike crowd as well!.  I got a ticket myself for straightpipes on my Monster, on July 4th while stuck in traffic on a closed down highway while my bike was idling in stand still traffic at the time.   My bike wasn't loud at the time, but I was pulled over because I was on a moto by a  Highway Patrolman who walked over to me, then proceeded to inspect my bike from top to bottom, stuck his "spring whip" into my exhausts and gave me a ticket for no baffles.  This had nothing to do with my bike being loud!  It's about $$$$$$$$$$$

The point is this law, the same as was tried but so far failed here in NYC, is about  ticketing PARKED MOTORCYCLES! this is just another means of revenue!
Parked motorcycles are not loud!!!  And there are new bikes coming from the factory in which you cannot easily find the EPA stamping (BMWs, the new Honda CBR, and MANY OTHERS), some times dismantling the exhaust system would be necessary to find it, or they are placed in areas where a cop or traffic agent will never find them and you will be ticketed.  The EPA stamping was never designed for this purpose!  In fact the EPA noise regulations of which all these other new laws are based upon are only applicable for the first year or 3730 mi of ownership of the bike.

"CFR Title 40: Protection of Environment
PART 205—TRANSPORTATION EQUIPMENT NOISE EMISSION CONTROLS
§ 205.152   Noise emission standards.
(3) Street motorcycles must be designed, built and equipped so that, when properly maintained and used, they will not produce noise emissions in excess of the levels specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section, for an Acoustical Assurance Period of one year or a distance of 6000 km (3730 mi) after the time of sale to the ultimate purchaser, whichever occurs first."

Also, why aren't tuner/boom cars or trucks being targeted in Boston if it's about noise?

I live in NYC on a very loud block in Manhattan.  I have motorcycles coming in to park their bikes in a 24 hour garage across the street from me, as well as rental cars being returned by idiots that just stop in the middle of the street because they don't know how to park and then cause havoc to the drivers behind them.  I'm next door to a fire house, (which I will never complain about because it's my choice to live here, and they have already come to my aid when I needed it for a medical emergency in about one minute)!  The one noisy thing that recently bothers me everyday it the garbage truck that comes to the post office every morning at 4:30 !!!!!!!!!!!  THAT IS MORE OF AN ANNOYANCE THAN ANY MOTORCYCLE QUICKLY PASSING DOWN THE BLOCK!

my $0.02

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:35:45 AM by Industrial Grrrl » Logged

NAKID

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2009, 03:45:12 AM »

^ applause

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Triple J
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2009, 09:08:05 AM »

As others have said, the problem with this law is the method of enforcement, not the desired effect. Given the increased popularity of motos it was only a matter of time before governments started tackling noise issues.

Also, most cities probably already have decibel ordinances on the books...Seattle's is 95db at 10 feet I believe (or something close). They should just start enforcing that if they're so worried...and target ALL vehicles.

Personally I don't think loud exhausts alone piss people off...but how they are used does. I see bikers (mostly HDs with straight pipes) in downtown all the time revving their bikes at stop lights, then hammering it off the line when the light goes green. It is ear-splitting loud...and pisses people off, so they complain. Last time I was in Tuscon I stayed in a hotel by the U of A on Speedway...I was woken up several times by ass hats revving their bikes at 2 in the morning...this also pisses people off (including me).

If people with loud motos would be considerate of others this likely wouldn't be an issue. The Monstrada has loud exhaust...I wish it were quieter, but I like the look so it is what it is. I know this, so I try to keep the revs down in town and generally ride it as quiet as possible when in neighborhoods or downtown.

That said, I also agree that garbage trucks are crazy loud...as are buses around here. They're far more annoying than a passing moto IMO, but that's just my perspective.
Takster

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2009, 10:20:13 AM »

I have no idea for the life of me why you'd even want to bring a motorcycle through town - most of the people I see in Boston on bikes are posing on Newbury St or over by lansdowne. 

I work in the Theater District at a nightclub.  I take my moto in whenever possible because I can find a parking spot MUCH more easily.  When I cage it in, I typically have to park in a garage which costs me $15 at a minimum. Since I live out in Waltham, a scooter is totally unreasonable for the commute, and public transportation closes down before I leave work (typically at about 3am.)  I'm pretty sure the cab ride one way would cost more than the parking.

I think that Boston should be encouraging motorcycles within the city as opposed to putting tighter restrictions on them.  I'm sure if you asked the average Boston resident which they'd prefer, easier parking within the city or lower noise, 9 out of 10 would choose easier parking.

'09 Monster 696
Mike Qube

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2009, 10:34:45 AM »

I'm pretty sure the cab ride one way would cost more than the parking.

I used to live in Waltham and I worked in the Park Plaza building, right by the theater district. I got stuck at work one night until 3am. $60 before tip in a cab.
DesmoLu
If only he'd had a

"You're like a stray wild animal" -- my ex

« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2009, 05:52:48 PM »

I see everyone has pointed out noise issues with things like trucks, buses, etc, yet no one has mentioned the real noise issue that truly plaugues modern society. Yes, there is one single source of noise that is far more obnoxious than any exhaust. Worst of all, this noise is nearly impossible to quiet once it has started and few people are comfortable making any attempts to shush the noise or to even complain. As opposed to increased restrictions, this noise has actually become more and more socially acceptable throughout the past decade.

Yes, I am talking about children. Honestly, who would possibly rather listen to a screaming toddler than a dry clutch? At least when a complaint is filed, you can actually reason with the moto rider. Not so with the child. Once it is crying, there is no stopping it. Even worse would be to try to reason with the mother or expect her to actually make some attempt to silence its vociferating spawn.

Truly, if we want to improve noise levels in America's cities, we must begin to impose restrictions on the single, true threat to a comfortable and quiet life. We must place restrictions on city children, with heavier ticketing for infants and strict punishment for teething!!!

El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »

I see everyone has pointed out noise issues with things like trucks, buses, etc, yet no one has mentioned the real noise issue that truly plaugues modern society. Yes, there is one single source of noise that is far more obnoxious than any exhaust. Worst of all, this noise is nearly impossible to quiet once it has started and few people are comfortable making any attempts to shush the noise or to even complain. As opposed to increased restrictions, this noise has actually become more and more socially acceptable throughout the past decade.

Yes, I am talking about children. Honestly, who would possibly rather listen to a screaming toddler than a dry clutch? At least when a complaint is filed, you can actually reason with the moto rider. Not so with the child. Once it is crying, there is no stopping it. Even worse would be to try to reason with the mother or expect her to actually make some attempt to silence its vociferating spawn.

Truly, if we want to improve noise levels in America's cities, we must begin to impose restrictions on the single, true threat to a comfortable and quiet life. We must place restrictions on city children, with heavier ticketing for infants and strict punishment for teething!!!

applause applause applause laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

I love you

DrDesmo

« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2009, 06:59:20 PM »

EPA approved child muffler:

'95 916
'12 800XC
DrDesmo

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2009, 07:05:24 PM »

Just read this gem from the article and had to LOL:

Residents in attendance at the hearing described how loud motorcycle noise disturbs the atmosphere of their neighborhoods, especially in areas like the historic North End, during warm months ...

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

Yeah, without those 5-10 bikes per night Hanover st. would be a sanctuary of quiet contemplation and reflection  laughingdp laughingdp

Adam

'95 916
'12 800XC
mstevens
Monsterless

No Monster of my own, but my wife has an '09 696

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2009, 08:21:14 AM »

Personally I don't think loud exhausts alone piss people off...

I strongly believe you are wrong in this. People just don't like other people's noise, no matter what's causing it or why.

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (Rosso Anniversary Ducati)
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (Giallo Ducati) - Sold
2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Rosso Anniversary Ducati) - Sold
2005 Vespa LX-150 (Rosso Dragone) - First Bike Ever

Casa Suzana, vacation rental house in Cozumel, Mexico
Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2009, 07:49:41 PM »

The EPA stamp issue troubles me...

Here is the location of the stamp on a stock pipe:

What Police is going to take the time to look for it?

Throw panniers on this bike, or even worse, other bikes by this same manufacturer conceal this even more.

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
RichD

« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2009, 07:55:45 AM »

...reason #463 to not go to Boston.   Grin

DFW-MFer!
Porsche Monkey
JuddDdd likes my

The DMFer formerly known as Ducaholic

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2009, 08:05:02 AM »

...reason #463 to not go to Boston.   Grin

you mean reason #197,463 waytogo

if I had a vagina...I'd never leave the house

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up