Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 19, 2024, 04:23:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Children as passengers  (Read 5569 times)
ab
ab

ab

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:22 AM »

I saw my friend take his 6 years old kid for a ride and I was just scared just watching it.  I don't know what the kid was holding on too but his dad is a fat ass  Grin and there is just no way the kid can wrap his hands around his fat stomach. 

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
Dietrich

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 08:28:42 AM »

This is a tricky question.  I too grew up riding on the back of my dad's bikes, and was even stuffed inside his jacket for 40 miles when I was 1-1/2 years old.  My 8 y/o daughter loves to ride.  I've had her on the bike occasionaly since she was about 6.  We stick to surface streets with the least amount of traffic, and fairly short rides (under 15 miles).  Fairly recently she went on her longest ride yet, lots of stops, but by the time we got home was about 100 miles. The ride included some twisty stuff, and brief speeds up to about 65 MPH.  She's a better rider than my ex ever was, and moves her body position to the inside of curves.  Biggest problems for us is finding gear and fatigue.  She does get sleepy even on fairly short rides.  She's been asking to make longer rides, but we'll need a different bike, better gear, and she'll have to be able to ride without falling asleep first.

I know people probably can't understand my decision to bring her on the bike.  I do weigh the decision heavily, and when she's with me I am more alert than ever.  What goes through my head the entire time is "Precious Cargo".

brimo

酒後吐真言

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 02:50:43 PM »

On the old dirtbike I'd sit the nieces and nephews  on the tank and they could hold on to the crossbar while I did a low speed circuit of the yard, but that's about as far as I'd go until the kid was a decent size to be able to wear full protective gear and then only my own kids. Even then you'd pick the time and place, to minimise any risk.

"The make the beast with two backsin monkey started it..."

From a story by RAT900
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=54722.msg1015917#msg1015917
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »

Some states have laws regarding passengers.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 03:14:19 PM »

effin lawyers.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
superjohn

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 03:14:55 PM »

I got into motorcycles because my Uncles and family friends would take me for a ride on the back of their bikes. They always insisted that I wear jeans, a long shirt and at least tennis shoes (I know, not appropriate gear, but it was a long time ago). As such, I'm all for giving kids a ride, but it does annoy me to see the parents with their kids on the back in shorts, no shoes and a t-shirt with a loose fitting small adult helmet on them.
WhiteStripe

Monster Addiction

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »

Great point - sure in the Commonwealth of MA its illeagal - our car seat laws are pretty strict to the point of being a little silly.

Thanks for all the input - my kids may end up riding their own dirt bike before they take a ride with me as a passenger.

2006 S2R 1000, Arrow CF exhaust, FatDuc 02, CF open cc with stock pp
RetroSBK

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 03:19:11 PM »

I take my oldest (7) on the back of my 'busa, and go tot the rockstore, etc. She has a properly fitting Arai helmet, gloves, riding jacket and A-stars boots.. We use the Child riding belt, and it works great.  This little girl used to ride with me a a toddler in her Bjorn harness in a helmet and neck brace around my flat track, on the front of me, facing foreward. Her third word was Wheelie! She loves it, and asks me for it every day. I take her to school a couple times a month, when I have time.

My youngest, 4, rides in front of me, on my Vespa or on my Zuma. Arai helmet, good jacket, and high tops, with dirt bike gloves.

Taking my oldest to the rock store the first time was truely on of the hightlights of my life, and I cant wait to take my youngest there...

Will

Will Kenefick's Retro Superbike. Bringing you the sickest Sh*t since '94
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 04:21:10 PM »

I take my oldest (7) on the back of my 'busa, and go tot the rockstore, etc. She has a properly fitting Arai helmet, gloves, riding jacket and A-stars boots.. We use the Child riding belt, and it works great.  This little girl used to ride with me a a toddler in her Bjorn harness in a helmet and neck brace around my flat track, on the front of me, facing foreward. Her third word was Wheelie! She loves it, and asks me for it every day. I take her to school a couple times a month, when I have time.

My youngest, 4, rides in front of me, on my Vespa or on my Zuma. Arai helmet, good jacket, and high tops, with dirt bike gloves.

Taking my oldest to the rock store the first time was truely on of the hightlights of my life, and I cant wait to take my youngest there...

Will
In NH a passenger must be able to reach the passenger pegs with their feet and be able to reach their arms around the operator to hold on.

No more sitting the kids in front. Undecided

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

RetroSBK

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »

In CA, and most other states, you can ride a child in the front of a step through type scooter.

The thing that took so long to get her on the bike was getting both feet solidly on the pegs. With the harness on, she is SUPER secure.

I think Im taking her on sat! on the new Monster 1100!!

Will Kenefick's Retro Superbike. Bringing you the sickest Sh*t since '94
No_Normale

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »

Couldn't help myself... These are all great points... appreciate others experience because I know we will continue to get the "When can I ride?" question.
+1 on precious cargo... I have to admit to hearing myself say that when I ride solo and I think of cranking the throttle-

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:37:24 PM by smsbell » Logged
Dietrich

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 10:39:55 PM »

redxblack

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 03:06:37 AM »

I've taken my 13 year-old son out a couple times. He prefers my little Honda 250 cruiser to the Ducati though. The Duc is a little intimidating and less comfortable for him. I'm going to look for a mid-70s Honda that's more comfortable for me and compromise.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »

I voted "always" because there was no "Love to, but depends" to choose instead.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »

I'm super glad my dad and uncles were not so cautious.  I can't remember how many rides I received.  I also had my first dirtbike at 9 years old and I didn't own a helmet.  My mom and I laugh about that now......

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: