Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 15, 2024, 06:30:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trading my 600rr for a monster  (Read 3889 times)
karrotx

« on: July 16, 2009, 12:55:20 PM »

I'm looking for a comfortable naked bike with aggressive styling and sound. I'm thinking the monster is for me.

I'm looking at 99-03 600-750's within the 3500-4200 price range.

Do you have any recommendations? Are there certain mechanical things I should look for? How is the reliability of these years and models?

Anything to avoid?

Thanks!
thruxton

2007 S4Rs

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:30:25 PM »

what year is your CBR?

having ridden the 2007 for a couple days, that really is a complete bike! the 999 motor of the monster S4Rs is better though, so get a test ride if you can. you'll want to have the full termi with ecu and (most importantly) a dyno-tune so don't get the monster if you don't have an excellent shop in your area.

you can ride the honda straight out of the crate and it's smooth and easy, but your monster will need a little help; get the suspension dialed in to make the best of the front end. one last thing, if you ride in the cold weather you'll need heated grips as the fly screen only keeps the weather off your neck.
karrotx

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:52:23 PM »

what year is your CBR?

having ridden the 2007 for a couple days, that really is a complete bike! the 999 motor of the monster S4Rs is better though, so get a test ride if you can. you'll want to have the full termi with ecu and (most importantly) a dyno-tune so don't get the monster if you don't have an excellent shop in your area.

you can ride the honda straight out of the crate and it's smooth and easy, but your monster will need a little help; get the suspension dialed in to make the best of the front end. one last thing, if you ride in the cold weather you'll need heated grips as the fly screen only keeps the weather off your neck.

I have an 04 600rr. I was thinking termi and a carb tune. There's a good shop in the area but it's far away. I love to ride all year round. Will the monster have cold start problems?

Thanks!
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:55:26 PM »

I have an 04 600rr. I was thinking termi and a carb tune. There's a good shop in the area but it's far away. I love to ride all year round. Will the monster have cold start problems?

Thanks!

I rode mine all last winter and didn't have a problem in 2x degree temps.  It was an 05 S2R 800 though, don't know how an older carbie will act.

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
El Matador
Do I need knee pucks for my

'06 S2R1K, '07 695 - Sold, '99 996 - Sold, '04 Hurricane Project

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 03:22:09 PM »

I'm looking for a comfortable naked bike with aggressive styling and sound. I'm thinking the monster is for me.

I'm looking at 99-03 600-750's within the 3500-4200 price range.

Do you have any recommendations? Are there certain mechanical things I should look for? How is the reliability of these years and models?

Anything to avoid?

Thanks!

The 750 is going to have about half of the horsepower that you've now become used to. If I was you, I'd save up  my pennies and get one of the bigger monsters, which come already with suspension and brake upgrades and goodies like a dry clutch.

Year model is really not important, what you really want is a bike that's been maintained properly, make sure the seller has all the receipts for the services, Every 6K miles. I would rather have a 97 M900 with 20k miles that's been properly maintained than a 05 620 with 10k that hasn't, they'll cost about the same too.

I made the exact same jump that you did, CBR600RR to monster and I haven't looked back. The monster experience is not about going as fast as possible, it is much more of a making your bike unique experience. Even though my bike is now several times slower than my previous one, I don't regret it, I have another bike if I want to go fast.

filter

Bumblebee

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »

The 750 is going to have about half of the horsepower that you've now become used to. If I was you, I'd save up  my pennies and get one of the bigger monsters, which come already with suspension and brake upgrades and goodies like a dry clutch.

Year model is really not important, what you really want is a bike that's been maintained properly, make sure the seller has all the receipts for the services, Every 6K miles. I would rather have a 97 M900 with 20k miles that's been properly maintained than a 05 620 with 10k that hasn't, they'll cost about the same too.

I made the exact same jump that you did, CBR600RR to monster and I haven't looked back. The monster experience is not about going as fast as possible, it is much more of a making your bike unique experience. Even though my bike is now several times slower than my previous one, I don't regret it, I have another bike if I want to go fast.

I just made a jump from a 1200 Suzuki Bandit to a 2001 Monster 750.

Less power, but way more fun to ride.  I don't regret it for a second.

01 Monster 750 Dark (El Matador Tail Chop, Arrow CF exhaust, K&N Filter, CA LED Taillight, Radiantz LED License Plate holder, Blue LED Instrument Cluster, black belt cover, lifted suspension, 14T sprocket, Cycle Cat Billet Side Stand, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, custom Desmo reservoir caps)
red baron

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:23:38 PM »

I just made a jump from a 1200 Suzuki Bandit to a 2001 Monster 750.

Less power, but way more fun to ride.  I don't regret it for a second.

This quote is gonna make some trouble.

Evil

laughingdp

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
karrotx

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:12:41 AM »

I just realized the m750 is a 5 speed; do you think that's going to be a noticeable difference for me?

Also, the rear tire is a 160; I've been very used to a 180.
teddy037.2
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »

I just realized the m750 is a 5 speed; do you think that's going to be a noticeable difference for me?

Also, the rear tire is a 160; I've been very used to a 180.

the skinny rear isn't the end of the world  waytogo

but the 5 speed might be a bummer... if you're taking a serious look at a 750, the 620 puts out about the same power, w/6 speed and (most of them) dual front brakes
karrotx

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 10:25:58 AM »

the skinny rear isn't the end of the world  waytogo

but the 5 speed might be a bummer... if you're taking a serious look at a 750, the 620 puts out about the same power, w/6 speed and (most of them) dual front brakes

Thanks for the advice. It looks like the 620 is around 48HP and the 750 is 68. That seems like a rather large jump. Have you ridden both?

What bike would you recommend to get? I'd really like it to be fuel injected and have enough oomph to get me stop light to stop light in the funnest manner.
pennyrobber

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 11:04:57 AM »

I went from a 2000 CBR 600 to an 2005 S2R 800 a few years back. It was definitely not as fast as the CBR. I would say stay away from the 620 (no offense to you 620 owners out there) because you will be missing that extra power out of corners you used to have. As far as fun factor goes, the monster for some reason was just better than the CBR.

When it comes to maintenance, the Ducati will require a little more attention than the Honda. I think the best way to put it is that you really can't neglect it as much.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
mmakay

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »

The 160 rear tire, along with lower weight, is what make the smaller Monsters so fun to ride.  It allows for better agility... faster turn-in.

- Mickey
teddy037.2
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »

I would say stay away from the 620 (no offense to you 620 owners out there) because you will be missing that extra power out of corners you used to have.

not all of us care to be the fastest kid on the block...  chug  fast enough and flickable still makes for a great day on the bike

Thanks for the advice. It looks like the 620 is around 48HP and the 750 is 68. That seems like a rather large jump. Have you ridden both?

What bike would you recommend to get? I'd really like it to be fuel injected and have enough oomph to get me stop light to stop light in the funnest manner.

the M600 and the M620 are different bikes... M620 is fuel injected, 63hp, 6 speed, dual brakes.

I have a 620  waytogo
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:38:18 AM by teddy037.2 » Logged
karrotx

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »

not all of us care to be the fastest kid on the block...  chug  fast enough and flickable still makes for a great day on the bike

the M600 and the M620 are different bikes... M620 is fuel injected, 63hp, 6 speed, dual brakes.

I have a 620  waytogo

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ducati_monster_620_dark_2005.php

This bike? Any year I should look out for? Looks like I can test ride a couple of 620's in my area. Everything else is hours away.

Thanks!
teddy037.2
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 01:30:06 PM »

that's silly... they got their HP numbers wrong, but the torque is right.

there might have been a change in ECU versions from the earliest ones to the later ones.

big change happened through '05. up to early '05, the bike had the steel tank and 4 piston 'goldline' brembo calipers up front. late '05 and '06 have plastic tank and the smaller 2 piston brakes

also, iirc, there was a point where single brake darks were available.

in any case, up to early '05 will have better brakes  Smiley

2007 they came out with the 695... more displacement, and closed-loop ECU (and it's own set of, er, issues...)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:31:47 PM by teddy037.2 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: