Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 07:08:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I screw up my swingarm assembly?  (Read 2365 times)
bbot5000

« on: May 20, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »

I had the swingarm on my S2R off for powder coating. Upon assembly there were some shims and washers that were in my "swingarm" ziploc bag.

Should I have used the washers when I put the swingarm back on? Or should it be just the shims that are in between the swingarm and the engine? Would I run into any problems if I used both the shim and the washers?

I noticed that I didn't have any washers when I put the bolts for rearsets back on. I'm thinking that the washers are for the rearset bolts.

Thanks

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:16:28 PM »

no useful tips here, except that its usually a bad thing to have parts left over Huh?

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:00:06 AM »

The shims locate the swing arm, they need to be placed in the correct position.  As far as where washers go, this may help.  http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/service/parts/2008.jhtml?family=parts
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:12:24 AM »

You should have collected and identified the shims when you removed them, normaly, they are on the right side.
I would not recomend riding the bike without the shims in place.
The only recourse is to carry out the procedure set forth in the workshop manual.

Capo de tuti capi
bbot5000

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:00:34 AM »

Hey thanks for the reply. I went back and read the service manual and it said to use 1.8 mm shims on each side of the swingarm. It then said to hold up the left side of the swingarm and measure the clearance on the right side using feeler gauges or calibrated shims. The maximum clearance should be 0.10 mm.

Measured Clearance of 0.10 mm use 0.10 mm shim on right side
Measured Clearance of 0.20 mm use 0.10 mm shim on both sides
Measured Clearance of 0.30 mm use 0.10 mm shim on left side and 0.20 mm shim on right side

From the sound of it I think I did install it correctly. I did use silver 1.8mm shim/washer on each side and since my clearance was more than 0.10 mm, I used the black 0.10 mm calibrated shim on each side. At least I hope I did.

Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:20:59 AM »

There ya go.
The incorrect shimming of the swing arm has two effects, first if there is excesive clearance, the arm will float from side to side, this will have a detrimental affect on the handling, secondly the alignment of the front and rear sprockets relies on the alignment of the swing arm to the engine.

Capo de tuti capi
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: