Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:25:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SSS rear tire removal tool choices  (Read 5212 times)
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« on: May 21, 2008, 08:23:49 AM »

Its soon going to be time to remove and change my rear tire on the S2R.  The Speedy Moto tire removal tool with the 41mm socket cost about $75 whereas a 41mm socket by itself cost about $15.  My main concern is that the 41mm socket will slip around the nut and cause scratches since the nut doesn't protrude out much from the rim.  I know that the Speedy Moto tool is the best but has anyone had experience with the 41mm socket w/ a regular wrench?  Did it grip nicely or did it slip around?  Any advice appreciated.

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
TJR178

2004 Monster S4R, 2010 HD FLHRC

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »

I haven't done it yet, but if you're looking to save money, I got the heavy duty metric set from Harbor Freight for $50.  It included all the large-size sockets you'll ever need.
tangueroHondo

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:24:01 AM »

My main concern is that the 41mm socket will slip around the nut and cause scratches since the nut doesn't protrude out much from the rim. 

I'm looking at the set-up  - judging by the rim of the nut, I can't see the socket coming into contact with anything...

Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:27:26 AM »

With the std hex nut, a normal socket will work fine, just be sure that the socket is fully home on the nut and if using a flex head breaker bar, that you pull square to the shaft axis.

Capo de tuti capi
EEL

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:09:49 AM »

Just as a heads up guys 41mm equates to 1.6114 inches.

1 5/8" - 1.625

Craftsman 1 5/8 sockets are readily available for 20 bucks.. I 've gone through 3 tire changes (1 flat) 2 rears. The .0136 in does not screw anything up. Just gradually apply force until the socket wrench tensions and you will be fine.

Dont waste 50 bucks at harbor freight when you can get a quality crafts man tool for more than half the price
uclabiker06

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »

Dont waste 50 bucks at harbor freight when you can get a quality crafts man tool for more than half the price

I think its $50 for a set of sockets (not just one).  Also I can get the 41mm socket for $15 from one of the Chris Kelley's website.  I think I am going to take that route.  Do you guys think the Speedymoto tool is worth the money.  I mean I don't see the difference between that tool and just using a 41mm socket.

2006 S2R
2009 Smart
Capo

You Are What You Is

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »

The Speedymoto tool has a spigot that locates the socket onto the shaft, this reduces the likelihood of the socket slipping off when (the significant) torque is applied.

Capo de tuti capi
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 07:51:45 PM »

First off, you don't need a 41mm to remove the rear wheel. The 41mm is needed to change the rear sprocket.

You will need a 46mm to remove the wheel. Just buy the socket and be done with it. I've done many this way and never had a problem.  waytogo

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
uclabiker06

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:58:34 AM »

Woops yeah I meant a 46mm.  Okay thanks thats what I'll do then.  Wink

2006 S2R
2009 Smart
AndrewNS

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:01:08 PM »

If you have a few spare bucks, you can find some really clever dual 41/46 mm sockets designed to do just this job on ebay. Search for "ducati socket" and you'll find them. Most have a shallow reach to prevent the problem you are worried about, and a mandrel on the inside that fits inside the axle to things even more stable when you tighten/loosen the bolts.

That having been said, I don't own one - I do mine with a standard socket with no problems.
aaronb

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 06:22:52 PM »

i have the harbor freight set and it works fine.  i have used it for the wheel, sprocket, clutch and flywheel nut(really should have had a deep socket for this, but it worked).  i think i paid $38 for it.  they are cheap, but the few times a year i use them they will be fine.  just do an inventory of the set before you take it home, I had two 45MM and was missing another size.   

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
LA

The Sleek Black Beauty

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 08:09:29 AM »

I went to the local Ace Hardwarw and bought a 3/4" breaker bar and a 41 & 46 mm scoket. With the scoket located in the middle of the bar it's easy to get plenty advantage on the nuts - doesn't slip.

Doing it over again, I'd buy one of the special sockets with 41mm on one side and 46 on the other.

LA

"I'm leaving this one totally stock" - Full Termi kit, Ohlins damper, Pazzo levers, lane splitters, 520 quick change 14/43 gears, DP gold press plate w/open cover, Ductile iron rotors w/cp211 pads.

R90S (hot rod), 80-900SS, Norton 850 MkIII, S4RS
Ducatiloo

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 08:13:38 AM »

When I took my tire off a normal socket worked fine.  Zero scratches waytogo

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 12:33:32 PM »

Just as a heads up guys 41mm equates to 1.6114 inches.

1 5/8" - 1.625

I am a touch leery of using the 1-5/8 instead of the 41mm. One time (in band camp) we had a 748 that was almost impossible to remove the sprocket nut. It laughed at the air tools. It laughed at my longest breaker bar. Ended up needing 3 people ... one standing on the brake, one to hold the socket onto the bolt, and me with a 3' pipe over the end of the breaker bar. I ended up hanging from the pipe and the nut sounded like a gun shot when it broke loose.

I've never had an issue using sockets on those nuts. They've never rounded corners nor damaged parts behind them. Of course, I am at least a little careful when I approach the tool to the part. I can see how sloppy handling would leave marks, especially on aftermarket wheels, like the marvics on my S2R800.

Smiley Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
tangueroHondo

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »

This thread got me curious, so yesterday afternoon, on my way back from Seattle, I headed over to Skagit Powersports, the local Ducati dealer.  The service guy quoted me $110 to install new tires front and back.  After reading this back and forth, I'm beginning to call $110 cheap. 

So let's say you can get the wheel of, the old tire off and the new one on.  How do you balance them up? 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: