Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 02:09:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another Monster project(updated 7/26)  (Read 50505 times)
Ducatl

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 11:07:07 AM »

did final welding on the box and then coated it, pipes from the heads have yet to be polished.

GSXR fender finally arrived, scored on eBay for like $10

Won a trail tech kit on eBay as well for about 1/3rd of the cost of one of their hid units so that frees up some of the budget for other stuff.  Going to powdercoat the housings black.

more to come Wink
rockaduc

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 02:36:02 PM »

popcorn popcorn

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
uclabiker06

"The time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted"

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 02:40:48 PM »

popcorn

Life is never ours to keep, we borrow it and then we have to give it back.
2006 S2R
2009 Smart
NAKID

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 03:49:23 PM »

That "muffler" looks great. Nice work...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
duc996

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 05:33:57 PM »

I like the story a lot,i envy people with skills and hands on like you do man!!!  waytogo makes me want to love my monster more and ride it.You sound like a guy that really enjoys dyi.Great job and good luck with the monster.

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Ducatl

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »

little more progress on the exhaust, I was out of town in Boston and NYC for a week and some so progress has been slow but I'm back to it now Wink

I'll be updating again tonight a little later.
Ducatl

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »

Put the exhaust on for the second to last time, it's done besides the hanger that will be connected to the open hole right under the brake MC holder.  My plan is to do this in brass and then rivet it to the box and my question is...does anyone know where one can buy expanding bolts? similar in style to what you might find on a bar end? I know my bike had one in that location when I bought it but I'd since removed it and now can't find it.  Anyways, while I'm back there I'm planning to make a rear fender out of brass as well and possibly do the rear under-tray in the same fashion.

Let's see, I picked up a practically new bt015 for literally $1 and I also bought a knock-off crg so those are new additions.  I also PC'ed the alternator cover black today although no pictures of that yet.

I think after I finish with the brass I'm going to tackle the fork swap.  My plan is to buy some tygon tubing and ditch the rear reservoir  in favor of capped tubing and then use the little brembo 15cc res. on the front, that should be everything I need to get the new front end on.
Ducatl

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 04:08:20 PM »

So I PC'ed the front valve covers and the triples/clamps.  Everything is bolted up now and I'm just waiting on spacers before it can be patched up for good.  The 08 cbr 1000 has 5mm spacers for its Tokico calipers so I'm going to order those and then I can get the measurements for everything else. I've run into what might be a small issue, the gsxr forks have adjusters poking out of the top of the fork caps making them much taller than my stockers.  The problem is the bars I've bought have a slightly longer mounting section and I'm afraid the taller caps may interfere with them.  My first thought is to cut and reweld the bars, the only complication is that they are gold anodized, the weld may be hidden by the bar clamp though so it may not be a huge issue.  I've also resprayed my belt covers as they were starting to flake, I'll install them once everything is going back on.  Despite just having finished the exhaust I've come up with a new idea for custom double mid mounts, making them will require having something machined though so I may hold off on them until later.  Anyways, More soon Wink
Ducatl

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »

started working on the headlight mounting situation, I want to tuck the lights in as far as possible.  They'll be moved up slightly and tilted correctly later on.  The mount is made of aluminum, I tapped the bottom of the stock guage mounts and then counter sunk two pieces of  bar so that the socket cap bolts are hidden inside.  The headlight mount portion is strictly on the right side and consists of two loops to connect the lights, a much thinner piece of bar is going to be fitted between both mount points to act as a cable guide.  I'm thinking of PC'ing the whole thing in a dark bronze color.  Anyways, I'm not welding anything on the mount until I get the bike back on the ground...which has stalled things.  I'm waiting on spacers and bolts and then more spacers so I can make sure I only have to do this once.  More soon
hihhs

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 04:52:16 PM »

Very cool. Looks like it'll b e sweet!
Also looks like a lot of fun building it.
 waytogo

Monster 1100
Ducatl

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 02:25:39 PM »

Progress has been slowed quite a bit due to the fact that I'm now just waiting on spacers and stuff to arrive.  I decided to do away with the red on the sprocket, it was never my intention to put very much red on the bike and I was getting really tired of looking at a big red sprocket. ANYWAYS, I stripped it and went with a semi-gloss black which is much closer to my original vision of just blacking out the bike.

At this point, since the work has stopped, I really just want to ride it again.  All of the downtime has given me time to think of where I want to go with the bike the next time I get the urge to take her apart.  I'm thinking 900,1000 or 1100 swap keeping it carbed and running a 696 swinger.  I've also got ideas for a new exhaust and new rear sets.  It's difficult to be satisfied right now as my fabrication skills keep improving(IMO) with each iteration or item and so every time I finish something I feel I could improve upon it given a second chance.

Anyways, more later.
Raux
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 09:12:53 PM »

696 swinger? the hard point for the spring is different. you definitely want a DSS? find me a SSS M1100 swinger and i'll trade.

weemonster
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 03:10:46 AM »

ebay.co.uk   One of the big uk breakers has 696 prts in their ebay shop. They have a swinger for £100.

the motor for £750.

Ducatl

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »

So some spacers FINALLY came, these are the 5mm units required to space your calipers out for 320 mm rotors.  If anyone else out these is contemplating doing this swap you may find it useful to know that starting in '06 Honda decided to give the cbr-1000rr 320 mm rotors.  Honda uses Tokico calipers(the same as Suzuki) and instead of changing up the spacing on their forks they decided to just use a spacer to bump the calipers out, This spacer works just as well on GSXR forks that have the locating spacer for the calipers.  You can buy these from any Honda dealer/Bikebandit/eBay connection you like.

As for the 696 swinger, I know the frame will have to be modified to accommodate the upper shock mount.  I have nothing against SSS, I do like them, but I just don't love them and I've always kind of thought they looked funky on older monsters with swaps(IMO).  I like the 696 swinger a lot, I also like the boxy XX9 series swingers, So I think this is the direction I'll move towards once they start showing up/coming down in price.
Pasta Bobber

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 03:51:54 PM »

Those headlights look awesome!!! bow down I may have to stael that idea or do something similar. Nice work applause
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: