Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 21, 2024, 12:47:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally chopped...  (Read 4944 times)
Jumptship

« on: August 24, 2009, 08:19:09 AM »

After owning my S4R for over 4 years and constantly debating on taking a hack saw to it I finally did it.  While on deployment I ordered an integrated tail light (from Monsterparts.com {THANKS})along with some other goodies for the scoot.  Took a little time to determine how I wanted to mount the tail light but below are some pics of the results.

since I didn't like the "hole" left under the seat near the taillight I cut some "ears" from the rear fender before throwing it in the trash and shaped them to fill the gap.

While shopping I also picke up some mini front blinkers but found they were hidden if mounted in the same location of the stock blinkers so drilled some holes lower to mount.

This has been a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.
Scotzman
Now that's thinking with your

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:20:41 AM »

Looks 100x better! Being in the military (I assume), they don't have a problem with the integrated tail light? I know in San Diego, when you do any of the MSF courses, they inspect your bike and that's one of the hits. They require it to be 8" apart of something. If not, then so much the better.

"Get your haggis right here. Chopped heart and lungs boiled in a wee sheep's stomach.
Tastes as good as it sounds. Good for what ales you."
Jumptship

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:26:51 AM »

thanks for the compliment.

on the light...uh...didn't ask!  LOL

the ol' addage-better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!  Besides I shouldn't have to take the rider course again until after retirement!!!

Mike Qube

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:57:49 AM »

Was it a big pain to get the headlight mounts off to drill? or did you just leave them on there and drill while on the bike? Was size bit did you use?
Jumptship

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »

Left them in place.  was going to take them off but it looked like a bigger PITA than it was worth.  bit was a 3/8" bit (largest my drill would hold) but you may want to double check the stalks on your blinkers before drilling holes, I was lucky and it was the size I needed.

I also took the screw that held the stock blinkers and reversed it to clean up the brackets a little, you can see them in the above photos, they are the allen head screws that are above the new blinkers.  I bored the original holes to accept them and put a nut and washer on the inside to help hold the fairing.

grandpa nate
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »

Was it a big pain to get the headlight mounts off to drill? or did you just leave them on there and drill while on the bike? Was size bit did you use?

I just left the headlight mounts in place and drilled away, after removing the headlight of course.  Can't remember the bit size though.

duc996

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 05:02:47 PM »

Bike looks awesome!  waytogo

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Simon

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:30:04 PM »

its beautiful  waytogo, did you use the original fender to mount the rear lights too?

Thinking of doing mine too. Just waiting for my nerve to settle, close one eye and chop it off.

Jumptship

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »

Bike looks awesome!  waytogo

thx...uh, avatar looks awesome...

Jumptship

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 04:25:59 PM »

its beautiful  waytogo, did you use the original fender to mount the rear lights too?

Thinking of doing mine too. Just waiting for my nerve to settle, close one eye and chop it off.

No, I made some brackets to mount the tail light then mounted the license plate to the bracket.  Bracket is mounted to the bolts on each side of seat lock.

Just do it, you won't be sorry!  (I hope...LOL)

Simon

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 05:26:07 PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will post some pix after I have done it..... might take sometime...  Grin
grandpa nate
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 09:07:31 PM »

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will post some pix after I have done it..... might take sometime...  Grin

quit bein a freakin nancy and cut the make the beast with two backser!!
Simon

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 06:45:58 PM »

quit bein a freakin nancy and cut the make the beast with two backser!!

ok ok... hold on to your horses. I have ordered the LED integrated tail lights, waiting for shipment. I have bought a pipe cutter and a sheet alluminium to fabricated the bracket. Still have not decide whether to cut of just shorthen the beer tray. Anyway, I will cut something this weekend.  chug
grandpa nate
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 07:56:48 PM »

ok ok... hold on to your horses. I have ordered the LED integrated tail lights, waiting for shipment. I have bought a pipe cutter and a sheet alluminium to fabricated the bracket. Still have not decide whether to cut of just shorthen the beer tray. Anyway, I will cut something this weekend.  chug

well ok then...had me scared for a minute... chug

oh and don't forget pics  coffee
Scotzman
Now that's thinking with your

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »

I was in your same boat. I didn't want to cut the frame, so I shortened the beer tray. After seeing that for a few hours, I just decided to cut it all off. So save your self the few hours and go straight to the frame. I actually wish I didn't butcher the beer tray so it could be jury-rigged back on for whatever reason.

"Get your haggis right here. Chopped heart and lungs boiled in a wee sheep's stomach.
Tastes as good as it sounds. Good for what ales you."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: