Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 20, 2024, 04:00:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Painting Tips  (Read 379812 times)
Sgt_H

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 03:05:21 PM »

Don't use chemical strippers on plastic unless you find one that's recommended. It will undoubtedly make it swell because of all the bare plastic.

I'd sand with 400 dry.

Thanks ducpainter.  That's kind of what I was leaning towards but didn't want to screw it up either way. 

Sgt_H
Banned
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »

Thanks ducpainter.  That's kind of what I was leaning towards but didn't want to screw it up either way. 
Keep in mind that a lot of sanding will change the light texture, if any, on plastic.

As always when sanding let the paper do the work.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

COWBOY

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »

I've been with my son in the hospital....

best wishes to you and yours.

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 04:42:17 PM »

Thanks...

all is well.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

MotoCreations

Imagination + Engineering = Imagineering

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 11:31:59 PM »

Q in regard to hi-temp paints.  Specifically for engine use. (not talking the VHT rattlecan stuff)  What out there is available commercially for use with an airgun? (thus it could be tinted or mixed to color match)  Recommendations?  Any recommendations to get good bonding of paint to factory engine paint? (normally application is to strip factory paint and prep bare case but without disassembly -- or too much disassembly)

Glad to hear your son is doing ok!

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 04:08:50 AM »

Q in regard to hi-temp paints.  Specifically for engine use. (not talking the VHT rattlecan stuff)  What out there is available commercially for use with an airgun? (thus it could be tinted or mixed to color match)  Recommendations?  Any recommendations to get good bonding of paint to factory engine paint? (normally application is to strip factory paint and prep bare case but without disassembly -- or too much disassembly)

Glad to hear your son is doing ok!

Check out Sherwin-Williams   'Flame-Proof'. It is available in many standard colors and can be custom mixed. It has a 12000
rating.
For engine cases I don't get too crazy because they don't get hot enough to actually affect automotive urethanes. There are several adhesion promoters available to make the prep easier. The key is whether the factory coating is in good condition. Also as always with coatings....clean...clean....clean.

perspective

A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 06:47:20 AM »

So Ducpainter, I'm in the process of painting up my engine, and I'm going to remove all the covers (alternator, clutch side, cam bearing, and valve covers) and paint those seperately, so I can bake them a little to cure (is that a good idea?) Are you saying I can use regular paint on these parts and not the ceramic "engine paint" that really would help me out. Also, I'd like to paint the cases as they're a little beat up, but I really didn't want to split them and dissassemble the motor. Do you think that regular automotive urethane rattle cans would hold up on the cases and jugs?

Justin

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
Juan

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 07:43:59 AM »

++++ 1 

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 08:47:48 AM »

So Ducpainter, I'm in the process of painting up my engine, and I'm going to remove all the covers (alternator, clutch side, cam bearing, and valve covers) and paint those seperately, so I can bake them a little to cure (is that a good idea?) Are you saying I can use regular paint on these parts and not the ceramic "engine paint" that really would help me out. Also, I'd like to paint the cases as they're a little beat up, but I really didn't want to split them and dissassemble the motor. Do you think that regular automotive urethane rattle cans would hold up on the cases and jugs?

Justin
If by regular paint you mean catalyzed urethanes....then yes.  Engine cases never reach the destructive temp of those coatings, which is about 3500 F.

Cylinders are a different story depending on the engine type.

I've used the same stuff on air cooled cylinders and not had complaints. YMMV

See the posts above about S-W products...HOK also makes a great hi temp black if that's your choice of color.

perspective

Sgt_H

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 08:53:32 AM »

I've been with my son in the hospital....

I'll catch up...

doh, I missed a whole string of posts and didn't see this right away. Hope your is doing well!

Sgt_H
Banned
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 10:41:51 AM »

Thanks to all the well wishers.

He's doing fine.

It is scary when your little one needs surgery though.

perspective

Juan

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 12:14:41 PM »

Thanks to all the well wishers.

He's doing fine.

It is scary when your little one needs surgery though.

Shocked Surgery...!!  will be praying bro..!!  take care..!

DuciD03
.... when did that happen...?

BTW: thats a bad pic of Bono, not me .... ;)

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 02:06:43 PM »

Yipes; hope all is well for you and yours  ...

added this Q from a new spacific thread below; some great pointers here, thx ...

Has anyone repainted & clear coated a "Dark" tank? and the other parts, the front fender, fairing, rear seat cowel?

I'm thinking of touching up, then clear gloss, semi-gloss or satin clear-coat laquour urithane finish to protect the Dark tank.  The stock paint seems to be easily scratched, minor scratches on the seat side with a minor dimple per side on the tank show up with the white primer coat.  Thoughts, experiances & suggestions appreciated.

Cheers DuciD  [moto]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:28:39 PM by DuciD03 » Logged

.... all the world is yours.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 03:03:46 PM »

Yipes; hope all is well for you and yours  ...

added this Q from a new spacific thread below; some great pointers here, thx ...

Has anyone repainted & clear coated a "Dark" tank? and the other parts, the front fender, fairing, rear seat cowel?

I'm thinking of touching up, then clear gloss, semi-gloss or satin clear-coat laquour urithane finish to protect the Dark tank.  The stock paint seems to be easily scratched, minor scratches on the seat side with a minor dimple per side on the tank show up with the white primer coat.  Thoughts, experiances & suggestions appreciated.

Cheers DuciD  [moto]
I always clear them.

Sometimes I use a pre-mixed flat, and other times I'll custom flatten a gloss.

The problem in trying to add a clear coat to a stock dark is you need to sand to get adhesion, but you can't sand the stock single stage metallic dark without changing the appearance of the metallic.

You will need to paint and clear.

perspective

804monster
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 04:19:14 PM »

so you never use a single stage with a flattening agent to do dark jobs?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: