Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 01, 2024, 07:18:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Painting Tips  (Read 398889 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #390 on: January 01, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »

Hey Nate,

Happy New Year...

Been doing a lot of sanding, how far I need to go on the headlight bezel?
Same to you.

What are you going to coat it with?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #391 on: January 01, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »

Same to you.

What are you going to coat it with?

As you told me earlier, epoxy primer and flat black paint and flat clear to protect it....

How was your New Year's Eve?

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #392 on: January 01, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »

As you told me earlier, epoxy primer and flat black paint and flat clear to protect it....

How was your New Year's Eve?
I'd just sand it dull. You don't have to remove the chrome. Finish with 320 or 400.

The epoxy primer can be sprayed slightly reduced as a sealer...don't sand.

If you can get a ss stage black urethane you can add the flattening agent and have a really durable coating while skipping the clear.

It was quiet. I stayed up for midnight. woohoo... coffee

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #393 on: January 01, 2010, 02:12:05 PM »

I'd just sand it dull. You don't have to remove the chrome. Finish with 320 or 400.

The epoxy primer can be sprayed slightly reduced as a sealer...don't sand.

If you can get a ss stage black urethane you can add the flattening agent and have a really durable coating while skipping the clear.

It was quiet. I stayed up for midnight. woohoo... coffee

Nate,
You told me, sand with 320... So I did...I see 'bronze/copper' color rings around bezel, did I over sand it? Now 400?... Shocked

Pls explain to me the above in bold/yellow, I have to 'translate to the paint mix guy, he speaks no English, has learned his trade by trial/error... bang head

I waited for the sun to come up, tradition, and instead of coffee, a bottle of the bubbly stuff and then coffee....no rest for the wicked today.... drink chug drink chug drink chug Vino! Vino! bacon Evil popcorn

Carlos
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #394 on: January 01, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »

Nate,
You told me, sand with 320... So I did...I see 'bronze/copper' color rings around bezel, did I over sand it? Now 400?... Shocked

Pls explain to me the above in bold/yellow, I have to 'translate to the paint mix guy, he speaks no English, has learned his trade by trial/error... bang head

I waited for the sun to come up, tradition, and instead of coffee, a bottle of the bubbly stuff and then coffee....no rest for the wicked today.... drink chug drink chug drink chug Vino! Vino! bacon Evil popcorn
You sanded more than you had to but did no harm. The 320 is fine.

SS is single stage. It requires no clear and is very durable. You can add a flattening agent to achieve the gloss you want.

What brand and system are you using?

perspective

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #395 on: January 01, 2010, 03:13:41 PM »

You sanded more than you had to but did no harm. The 320 is fine.

SS is single stage. It requires no clear and is very durable. You can add a flattening agent to achieve the gloss you want.

What brand and system are you using?

DuPont...Chroma or something like that, Standox and some BASF brand[last 2 on request]...but I think we'll be using the Dupont paint on my bike, he'll now paint all the plastics in flat black, can I use the SS on plastics?

Nate, sorry for the hassle today, tomorrow I have to go to work and in the afternoon I'm going to his shop to sand away the 'rattle can' paint job I'd done to start preping for 'real' paint; that's why I'm asking.

Once again, thanks for all your help. You have no idea what is to repair a Ducati on $400+$250[bonus]/month...

Thank you all

Carlos
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #396 on: January 01, 2010, 05:14:24 PM »

DuPont...Chroma or something like that, Standox and some BASF brand[last 2 on request]...but I think we'll be using the Dupont paint on my bike, he'll now paint all the plastics in flat black, can I use the SS on plastics?

Nate, sorry for the hassle today, tomorrow I have to go to work and in the afternoon I'm going to his shop to sand away the 'rattle can' paint job I'd done to start preping for 'real' paint; that's why I'm asking.

Once again, thanks for all your help. You have no idea what is to repair a Ducati on $400+$250[bonus]/month...

Thank you all
The Dupont single stage product would be Chroma One. It requires an activator like clear. The flattening agent is 4531S.

As long as you use an adhesion promoter on bare plastic I wouldn't hesitate if you are buying the entire can of material and are trying to save. The Duc plastics are fairly rigid and urethanes are somewhat flexible. I'd have him use what he's comfortable with. I just offer the SS up to save money and booth time.

You can't polish flattened products. Make sure dust isn't going to be a problem.

perspective

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #397 on: January 02, 2010, 03:20:37 AM »

The Dupont single stage product would be Chroma One. It requires an activator like clear. The flattening agent is 4531S.

As long as you use an adhesion promoter on bare plastic I wouldn't hesitate if you are buying the entire can of material and are trying to save. The Duc plastics are fairly rigid and urethanes are somewhat flexible. I'd have him use what he's comfortable with. I just offer the SS up to save money and booth time.

You can't polish flattened products. Make sure dust isn't going to be a problem.

Nate,

What would you recommend for the DSS? No one does PC here in Panama.

Thanks...

Carlos
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #398 on: January 02, 2010, 04:06:48 AM »

Nate,

What would you recommend for the DSS? No one does PC here in Panama.

Thanks...
Same exact thing.

Epoxy primer and the SS top coat

perspective

DarkMonster620
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #399 on: January 02, 2010, 04:26:25 AM »

Same exact thing.

Epoxy primer and the SS top coat

Thanks, I'll write the info and keep it for when it'll be done....Need to ride....going nuts...

Enjoy...

Carlos
CapnCrunch

« Reply #400 on: January 03, 2010, 10:11:07 AM »

I have a few questions.

I have set up a paint booth in my garage. it's 8'x4'x7'

I'm going to put particle filters on the inlet and charcoal on the outlet of the booth, what kind of air flow would you consider optimal?

I have priced some paints and noticed that moto specific paints cost a lot more than auto paint. I asked around and this is supposedly because motos flex more and the paint is formulated to cope with this.
By chance the guy I recently sold my trailer to was a paint chemist I asked him and he said "well... the cans are usually smaller... other than that, there's no difference."   

so which is it?

thanks

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #401 on: January 03, 2010, 10:28:52 AM »

I have a few questions.

I have set up a paint booth in my garage. it's 8'x4'x7'

I'm going to put particle filters on the inlet and charcoal on the outlet of the booth, what kind of air flow would you consider optimal?

I have priced some paints and noticed that moto specific paints cost a lot more than auto paint. I asked around and this is supposedly because motos flex more and the paint is formulated to cope with this.
By chance the guy I recently sold my trailer to was a paint chemist I asked him and he said "well... the cans are usually smaller... other than that, there's no difference."   

so which is it?

thanks
Your first question is loaded...no offense.

I'm no engineer. There are formulas for air change and velocity to maintain a safe environment. One air change/minute will keep things reasonably safe with a proper respirator. It won't take all the overspray to the filter because you'll lack velocity. If you increase the rates it will be difficult to heat the booth.

I had a member here run some numbers for me and based on engineering numbers I'd need a 1.5 million btu direct fired booth heater. That's not happening.

I will offer a piece of advice. Assuming you have a cross flow air set up put your man door on the same wall as the fan.

Regarding the chemists comment...he was telling the truth. Lacquer is lacquer...urethane is urethane.  What moto specific paint are you referring to?

perspective

Blue
Oh no, not another

2000 M900ie Dark

« Reply #402 on: January 15, 2010, 05:19:21 AM »

I have a 2000 Ducati Monster 900ie Dark and through use and tire changes the painted black rims have been scratched.  Does anyone have a color code for that color black?  I am thinking about trying a touch up pen, but if that doesn't work or look good, I might have them painted. 
Thanks.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #403 on: January 15, 2010, 07:11:28 AM »

It's probably just a modified gloss black. Not glossy, but not exactly flat either.

perspective

mojo

'99 M900S

« Reply #404 on: January 15, 2010, 12:59:44 PM »

I have seen black that didn't match a couple of times  Huh?  On one car somebody painted a fender and it looked a little brown, and on another, the black had a blue hue to it.  But for the most part, black is black.

Some people are like slinky's.  They serve absolutely no purpose, but they always bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: