Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 16, 2024, 02:46:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First "long ride"....  (Read 6011 times)
Ducgirl

Racing Red 696 re-mapped w/Termi's & Marchesinis

« on: September 15, 2009, 05:10:01 PM »

Hi.. well, I went out for my first "long" ride which was all of 50 miles last weekend. I followed my husband on his bike and it was a somewhat nervous time because of the traffic. Anyway, we were on two lane mountain road with 65 mph most of the way. It feels REALLY FAST to me but I'm hoping to get used to that soon! I'm not too comfortable with speed yet as I'm not real smooth with the brakes. I think it should get better with more mileage. I have only 480 miles on the bike and need to get to that 600 before winter so I can have the service. :)Any good advice??
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »

Congrats on your ride! chug

It takes a lot of practice to get more comfortable and smooth, 480 miles is not very much, you're doing great! waytogo
What I'd recommend if possible is to practice the same route over and over, as you learn the road and the corners better you will be able to get smoother with all the controls, and your comfort level and confidence will improve.

Not sure if you are already doing this, it also helps a lot to have earplugs to cut down the wind noise at higher speeds, which affects your stress levels more than you might think.  Also, try to concentrate on using your legs and abs to hold you up so you can relax your arms.

Keep us posted! Smiley

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 02:37:59 AM »

Congrats on your ride! chug

It takes a lot of practice to get more comfortable and smooth, 480 miles is not very much, you're doing great! waytogo
What I'd recommend if possible is to practice the same route over and over, as you learn the road and the corners better you will be able to get smoother with all the controls, and your comfort level and confidence will improve.

HUGE +1 to this...a repetative loop that is something in the 4-10 mile range where you get to a point that you unconsciously know every bump and nook and ripple on it as you keep circulating it. You get to a point where you might just start to find the pace in repetition is slow and you will eventually just naturally pick it up and things will start clicking. I did this with a route that had a cloverleaf in it and found myself really getting a handle and pushing and figuring things out because my comfort increased dramatically with the familiarity. That and when I did think I might have screwed something up or was off on an apex, within minutes I was right back there to correct my mistake instead of wondering what I might have done differently had I not gone back later. Direct correction like that within minutes helps keep from imprinting and dwelling on mistakes (whether real or percieved ) and helps push you in the direction you want to go faster.

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Ducgirl

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:04:57 PM »

Hi..thanks for the great advice! I think  it's a good idea to go over the ride several times and get comfortable with the speed, etc. It  just takes practice, I know and I have to get out there! Roll Eyes
maillotpois

Faster on my Merckx

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 04:12:38 AM »

Definitely keep practicing!!  I have not had my bike for a year yet but I have 5000 miles on it and it is absolutely amazing what a difference that mileage has made.

I started out fairly tentative and nervous.  I am never going to be a speed demon, but my goal has always been to become more smooth - and in the process of learning, I have discovered I really love riding my motorcycle!!! Cheesy It feels like an extension of me - just like how my bicycle does when things are clicking and I am having a good day.

During that 5000 miles:

1. I did the MSF experienced rider course and now I can do a U-turn with barely a wobble or a foot down.

2. I have done a track school - with the goal of becoming a smoother rider - not a faster rider. And I have practiced those skills as I ride. I rarely get the accelerator wobble when I hit bumps. My shifting is smooth, my turns are generally pretty darn good. I don't go as fast as my husband, but I go SMOOTHLY and I have fun and he will always wait for me.

3.  I do have a couple of loops of 15 - 20 miles that I can sneak out after work and do.  They're twisty and I take them slow, but the repetition and really getting to know a stretch of road is great like the others said.

I was struck a week or so ago by one particular victory - it sounds so stupid but it meant so much. We did a long ride, and pulled into a bakery. I backed into the spot, and the road is really banked so you are backing into a downhill spot. Ok. We had our snack, and by the time we were leaving there were about 15 other sport bikes there. So all these guys are watching me as I have to pull out, uphill and make a pretty tight turn onto the road! I started up, foot on the brake, and pulled out and made the relatively tight turn onto the road without crossing the line and SO smooth!! I was so happy with that.

Anyway, what I really want to say is stick with it. Practice on your terms - at your speed and always within your comfort zone. I don't think I will ever be a racer or speed demon, but I love riding my bike and I am sure you will get there, too.

My hovercraft is full of eels.
Kurt V

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:51:33 AM »

Sorry to barge in on the ladies, but I highly recommend this book to you:

Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track (Paperback)
by Nick Ienatsch

You can buy it used at Amazon.com for $13.50.

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Techniques-Develop-Confidence/dp/1893618072/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253292397&sr=8-1

Ducgirl

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 06:19:50 PM »

The book sounds great and I will buy it! Thanks! I'm glad to hear someone else isn't necessarily a speed freak. I guess I'm a little uncomfortable with cars behind me unless I'm traveling at the posted speed. So, 65 is a little over my head in the comfort zone when there are other cars around. I guess I should stay in the neighborhood and only practice on the roads that are posted slower. On the other hand, if you are on a 4 lane road, can't you travel a little below the posted speed in the "slow lane"? Roll Eyes
maillotpois

Faster on my Merckx

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 05:58:07 AM »

The speed limit is a maximum, so you can travel below it (within reason and if it is safe to do so).  However, if you're really that uncomfortable riding around cars, can't you find some quiet back roads to practice on for a while to build your confidence up?  Strengthen that relationship between you and your motorcycle, on your own, before you expose yourself to too much other distraction.

My hovercraft is full of eels.
Ducgirl

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 09:43:16 AM »

I really like your idea of riding on some quiet roads for a while. By the way, congrats on your accomplishment in front of the men;good work! I have been getting some pressure to "just ride"and go on some roads I'm not ready for. Anyway, I have been thinking that I need some space just to get used to the bike and I am starting to feel much more comfortable with the motorcycle. I love my bike; I just need more miles, I know. I guess you might say the bike was riding me and now I am starting to ride the bike! Smiley
Embyr
has a very

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 10:52:03 AM »

The book sounds great and I will buy it! Thanks! I'm glad to hear someone else isn't necessarily a speed freak. I guess I'm a little uncomfortable with cars behind me unless I'm traveling at the posted speed. So, 65 is a little over my head in the comfort zone when there are other cars around. I guess I should stay in the neighborhood and only practice on the roads that are posted slower. On the other hand, if you are on a 4 lane road, can't you travel a little below the posted speed in the "slow lane"? Roll Eyes

Hi there-  congrats on doing a 'longer' ride...    I'm going to be the voice of dissent, though, and say that for Your Own safety you should NOT be riding under the speed limit.... you should be going with traffic, easily. 65 is really not that fast...   if you feel like you're 'riding over your head' then either you need to practice more on other streets first doing speeds that approach 50 or something, or try riding at night when there isn't so much traffic on the highway. Putting another 120 miles on your bike is really not difficult...   you can do it in a weekend if you set your mind to it. My longest ride on the monster was from LA to Vegas and back (by myself) this past summer. You get used to speeds and distances over time, and although you may be uncomfortable with new situations at first, at some point you need to bite the bullet and ride through the discomfort or else your skill level won't be high enough to accommodate/avoid dangerous situations that sometimes happen at high speeds and necessitate lots of quick power and thinking.
Ducgirl

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 06:55:42 PM »

Hi Embyr....I understand what you are thinking;my son tells me the same thing regarding the speed. I think I will stay on the back roads for a while untill I get really comfortable with the bike. Thanks for your input! Smiley
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 07:05:34 PM »

Next time out with your husband - you should lead and he should follow. That way you don't have to relate to what he's doing. If him being around stresses you - ride by yourself waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 04:53:14 AM »

Next time out with your husband - you should lead and he should follow. That way you don't have to relate to what he's doing. If him being around stresses you - ride by yourself waytogo

also, if he is behind you, it can alleviate some degree of necessity to keep what is behind you as a point of focus and help you concentrate more forward...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
mangeldbug

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 10:46:29 AM »

Hi Ducgirl!  Congrats on your first "long" ride!  I remember when I was right where you were just a few years ago.  Getting familiar with your bike (more practice) is the key to getting comfortable!  Actually when I started riding, I didnt go on highways for maybe 6 months with my little Honda 400 starter bike - not until I got used to being around cars.  I think it really helped my confidence.  Also - on earplugs: they help protect against fatigue.  Riding takes a lot of concentration which can take a lot out of you over the course of a day.  Wind noise can add to that.  I have never ridden with even a drop of alcohol in my system, but I have ridden while exhausted and it is so dangerous, and it's something that can sneak up on you.  Particularly newer riders who are not used to longer days.

I agree with zooom.  I dont really like being "leader" personally, but it will give you a chance to focus more on your own riding rather than just keeping that helmet in front of you.  One of the things I found myself doing as a new rider was following the bike in front of me exactly - same exact corner entry, same exact lines, and I watched the rider and not the road.  My thought was that the person in front of me is a more experienced rider and I should do as they do.  To an extent that is right (its a good place to watch their lane position choices in different situations), but if you follow their lines exactly and are looking at THEM, you have a greater chance of target fixating on them if they have to suddenly swerve or slam on the breaks to avoid a hazard.  When following: keep a safe distance, never try to "keep up", and look through the turn at the road ahead, not at other riders.  Ive only ridden by myself a few times - I am always worried about the "what if".  I like someone to be there just in case I need help.

Keep it up and ride safe!  You will be doing 400 mile days in no time!   waytogo

-Kristen
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:56:31 AM by mangeldbug » Logged

2002 M750Si.e. "Senna" - Meravigliosa, Mera for short
2017 390 Duke Commuter
2001 XT225 Zombie Assault Vehicle
1987 YSR50 #116 race bike
Ducgirl

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 07:38:21 PM »

Hi All, just thought I would check in and let you know I had a good week. I took the advice and stayed nearby my neighborhood practicing starts and stops . I have a great area to practice without much traffic that is about a 5 mile loop. Some twisty spots, 25-35 mph places and then a 2 mile stretch at 55mph to home. Today I rode on the highway and into town and back. Its 30 mile roundtrip mostly 55mph and some in town stuff at 25. I was a little stressed but was able to relax more than ever and had fun so I would say it was a good day! Thanks to all for your encouragement. waytogo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: