Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 04:06:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ceramic Coating  (Read 8763 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 07:53:08 AM »

• I believe the tape will contain far more heat in the pipes than the ceramic coating,
  • You can do it yourself in a half day,
  • It's cheaper than ceramic coating,
  • Surprisingly big jump in performance,
  • On my bike, it can't be seen anyway (it's not particulary pretty).

The last thing you want to do is "contain" the heat from your pipes.

Ceramic coating (actually aluminum-ceramic) distributes the heat so that it is evenly shed.  Wrapping your pipes makes hotspots on the pipes even more contained.  It is like putting on a wool parka when you have a 108 fever.  Wrapping the pipe with a hotspot will contain -- and cause premature failure of the pipe.

Wrapping in car racing is to reduce engine compartment heat.  Simply explained, it causes horsepower gains because of the lowered heat in the engine, NOT because the heat is contained.  This is not an issue with motorcycles, where the pipes are exposed to airflow.

Furthermore, wrapping a pipe holds moisture against the pipe.  Stainless pipes WILL RUST over time and wrapping them just speeds this up. 

You claim a jump in performance, I would like to see that on a dyno.  Plenty of evidence to the contrary (i.e. no difference).  All of the claims of hp gains seem to be from places selling the stuff.

Lastly, the proof is in the pudding:  if wrapping pipes created a performance increase, why don't motogp and SBK teams wrap the pipes?  (They are all aluma-ceramic coated or not at all).

• Alu-ceramic coatings evenly distribute heat so it sheds faster
  • Alu-ceramic coatings prevent rust, since aluminum and ceramic can't rust
  • Alu-ceramic does not hold moisture like wrappings
  • Alu-ceramic will make your pipes last 100x as long (and can be re-coated when the coating wears)

I have a set of Sil headers on my 900SS which I bought in 1999 ( a 95 900ss) and got them coated.  they still look NEW (use 000 wool and chrome polish to clean -- good as new).

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:57:51 AM by ducatizzzz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
GeorgeInDallas

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

I like the wrapping.  The bike feels stronger, but you are correct, Truth in Advertising requires a dyno test.  I wasn't expecting any performance change, but as I said, I'm surprised.  Try wrapping yours and see what you think - it's only about $25.  I ride my bike everyday, so I'm not terribly concerned about moisture accumulating.  But I'm also happy for you that your pipes look nice...nobody can even see mine.

The principal reason I wrapped my pipes was to keep the @#$%@ heat from barbecuing my right thigh again this summer here in Dallas (where we invented Global Warming).  It's doing a fine job, better I'm sure that ceramic could do, based on what you've said.  I'm not interested in "spreading out the heat dissapation on the pipe"... I want the friggen heat to stay in the pipe until it gets past me, preferably out the tailpipe.  Why on earth would anyone want to spread out the heat in the pipe?

Why don't they use wrapping in MotoGP?  Gee, I guess that, at 200 mph, they probably don't get much heat on their thighs.  Or maybe they just haven't caught up to us yet.

"It's about the ride.", Peter Fonda in Wild Hogs.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 03:14:05 PM »

The principal reason I wrapped my pipes was to keep the @#$%@ heat from barbecuing my right thigh again this summer here in Dallas (where we invented Global Warming).  It's doing a fine job, better I'm sure that ceramic could do, based on what you've said.  I'm not interested in "spreading out the heat dissapation on the pipe"... I want the friggen heat to stay in the pipe until it gets past me, preferably out the tailpipe.  Why on earth would anyone want to spread out the heat in the pipe?

You've hit on the only good reason for wrapping the pipe -- insulating against heat.

As far as dissipation, the overall amount of heat (in BTUs) is the SAME.  If your bike produces 5000 btu's of heat, it's going to do it regardless if you have ceramic or wrapped pipes.

However, hotspots can and do occur and will compromise the metal of your pipes.. Ceramic prevents this, but wrapping does not.

However, ceramic does not make a good insulator -- it just makes the hotspots go away.  Wrapping doesn't.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »

You've hit on the only good reason for wrapping the pipe -- insulating against heat.

As far as dissipation, the overall amount of heat (in BTUs) is the SAME.  If your bike produces 5000 btu's of heat, it's going to do it regardless if you have ceramic or wrapped pipes.

However, hotspots can and do occur and will compromise the metal of your pipes.. Ceramic prevents this, but wrapping does not.

However, ceramic does not make a good insulator -- it just makes the hotspots go away.  Wrapping doesn't.

Can you re-word that in Haiku form?  laughingdp

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Ducatiloo

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 03:28:37 PM »

Protect from the heat
Wrapping the pipe works very good
Hotspots will not leave

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »

Can you re-word that in Haiku form?  laughingdp

I wish I could, wait till I drink more soju.

dallas2r

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »

Protect from the heat
Wrapping the pipe works very good  <-----
Hotspots will not leave

Police syllable violation  Police

2007 Monster S2R1000
2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring/Urban

A motorcycle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no motorcycle. -Unknown
Ducatiloo

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 06:53:42 PM »

Police syllable violation  Police

Protect from the heat
Wrapping the pipe works super.
Hot spots will not leave

Thank you for the correction it means a lot to me
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:55:42 PM by Ducatiloo » Logged

dallas2r

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 07:08:38 PM »

Protect from the heat
Wrapping the pipe works super.
Hot spots will not leave

Thank you for the correction it means a lot to me

All in a days work.  Grin waytogo

2007 Monster S2R1000
2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring/Urban

A motorcycle will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no motorcycle. -Unknown
cdc

my superbike. nutts someone copied my avatar.

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 12:15:15 AM »

...I wrapped my pipes was to keep the @#$%@ heat from barbecuing my right thigh again this summer here in Dallas (where we invented Global Warming). 

I have an ST4S and have not had a problem with heat as I would on superbikes with underseat exhaust when the pipes come up infront of the rear wheel along the thighs.  I am curious why your ST3 emits heat there when our pipes are essentially low mounted.

cdc
GeorgeInDallas

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 03:40:26 AM »

It hasn't been excruciatingly hot yet... maybe I've misdiagnosed... maybe it's the radiator.  Shall I try wrapping the radiator?  I could probably contain the heat there, too.  I'm just full of great ideas.   Grin

"It's about the ride.", Peter Fonda in Wild Hogs.
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 05:07:46 AM »

I wish I could, wait till I drink more soju.

How's the drinking coming along?!?  drink

Nice to see some "outsiders" lurking in our humble area waytogo

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
cdc

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »

It hasn't been excruciatingly hot yet... maybe I've misdiagnosed... maybe it's the radiator.  Shall I try wrapping the radiator?  I could probably contain the heat there, too.  I'm just full of great ideas.   Grin

Well you know, it is called a radiator. so it must radiate heat. and you don't want heat so you could coat it instead. Grin

cdc
Ducatiloo

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 09:53:16 AM »

Well you know, it is called a radiator. so it must radiate heat. and you don't want heat so you could coat it instead. Grin

cdc

Your tires make heat at well....

cdc

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 11:36:48 AM »

Your tires make heat at well....

Dang, we could coat that too! It'd look trick but... Grin

cdc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: