Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:15:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speedymoto top triple / Motowheels clip-ons question  (Read 5502 times)
jani9000

« on: May 23, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »

I have been looking into putting in some clip-ons for my '06 s2r800. I don't want them to be super low, and if possible, I don't want to lower the front end to make room on top of the top triple.

So right now I'm thinking of installing the Speedymoto top triple clamp and under that the Motowheels clip-ons with risers.

Triple:
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=38%7CAluminum%20Billet&productID=4069&showDetail=1&categoryID=126%7CMonster%20Suspension&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

clip-ons:
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=38%7CAluminum%20Billet&productID=2942&showDetail=1&categoryID=45|Ducati%20Monster%20Billet&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

To the questions:

1. Will it be possible to mount the top triple clamp so that it is flush with the top of the forks like the stock triple?
2. Does anyone have experience installing or using these products? If you have pictures, please post them!
3. I was first looking into getting the cyclecat triple and clip-ons, since they look bad-ass, but they don't seem to be available anywhere in the right size for my bike. Anyone seen these?
4. I'm assuming that if I want to install the clip-ons on top of the top triple, I would have to drop the front end 19mm. This seems like a bad Idea. I don't want to affect the handling, and the installation would be even more of a pain in the ass.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jani
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:49:37 PM »

1. Yes, the clipons will jsut be under your new triple

2.  Yes, a bunch folks.  I know statler has a whole Speedymoto triple set, top and bottom.  I'm sure there's some others as well.  Can't think of anyone off the top of my head running the motowheels clip ons, but have heard of folks with them.  Moto does quality stuff, so I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger

3.  Cyclecat it out of business.  The items you're looking for will only be found 2nd hand or with very vigorous  searching store sites.

4.  Yes, to mount the clips above the triple you would have to move the forks up some amount.  This will reduce the rake angle.  Less rake and the bike will be quicker to turn in, buy *may* feel less stable in a straight line.  My ole 620 had the old style Vortex clips above the triple which meant moving the forks up about an inch and it felt plenty solid in the straights.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
jani9000

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »

Thanks for the reply yuu!

I did a google search and found a link to this picture from a post on tob:

Looks pretty good to me..
JewCati

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »

Have you thought about the LSL clipons with rise? I have them on my 748, and i must say they are top notch.
The machining is beautiful

http://www.motostrano.com/lslclipons.html

I have been looking into putting in some clip-ons for my '06 s2r800. I don't want them to be super low, and if possible, I don't want to lower the front end to make room on top of the top triple.

So right now I'm thinking of installing the Speedymoto top triple clamp and under that the Motowheels clip-ons with risers.

Triple:
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=38%7CAluminum%20Billet&productID=4069&showDetail=1&categoryID=126%7CMonster%20Suspension&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

clip-ons:
http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=38%7CAluminum%20Billet&productID=2942&showDetail=1&categoryID=45|Ducati%20Monster%20Billet&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

To the questions:

1. Will it be possible to mount the top triple clamp so that it is flush with the top of the forks like the stock triple?
2. Does anyone have experience installing or using these products? If you have pictures, please post them!
3. I was first looking into getting the cyclecat triple and clip-ons, since they look bad-ass, but they don't seem to be available anywhere in the right size for my bike. Anyone seen these?
4. I'm assuming that if I want to install the clip-ons on top of the top triple, I would have to drop the front end 19mm. This seems like a bad Idea. I don't want to affect the handling, and the installation would be even more of a pain in the ass.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jani

Current:
2007 Monster S4RS
2009 BMW K1300S

Gone:
2009 848
2005 999 Biposto
2001 748s
1998 ST2
2006 Monster S2R
jani9000

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »

Have you thought about the LSL clipons with rise? I have them on my 748, and i must say they are top notch.
The machining is beautiful

http://www.motostrano.com/lslclipons.html

Thanks for the tip! They do look really nice. The reason I'd still go for the Motowheels is that they look okay and they're $90 cheaper..
Liz5555

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 11:48:39 PM »

Hi Jani,

I have just finished installing this exact thing on my 620 this weekend.  I didn't have any real issues, everything went well but it was several hours work because I took my time with it to make sure everything went on right.  Only thing to note is that when I bought my bike the previous owner had installed longer brake lines already because she had some tall risers on the bike.  Therefore I'm not sure whether you'd have any reach problems with the standard lines etc.

You will see from the pics that the speedymoto top triple is about flush with the top of the forks - the forks are about 1mm through the top.

My forks were dropped through alot further for a while when I had the standard triple and handlebars set-up - I didn't like that set-up it just never felt right.  Also, with the forks dropped through the front always felt a bit twitchy in corners.

I didn't get a chance to go for a proper ride after finishing the install, but I liked how it felt so far with a quick ride.  Much more natural hand position, and not so wide of a reach.  I'm also hoping for much more stable handling but I won't know that until I get out for a proper ride.

I have read other posts where taller people have said that clipons feel better.  I'm only 5' 3" and the new set-up feels much better for me too.

Hope the pics help.  Let me know if you need any more.

Cheers
Liz

Liz5555

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 11:55:31 PM »

Sorry looks like I can't link the pics for some reason.

Here is a link to my gallery page instead.

http://mintaka.bywong.com.au:8080/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=485

Cheers
Liz
jani9000

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 09:52:57 AM »

Wow, Liz, that looks real nice! Thanks for the pictures. I think I'm going for it..
Liz5555

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 10:14:51 PM »

Hi Jani,

Just come back from being out riding - different bike!  Cheesy Cheesy

Much more comfortable, handles much better and looks great too.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.  waytogo

Regards Liz
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 11:08:02 PM »

speedy moto top triple, LSL clip ons  waytogo

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 08:21:23 PM »

speedy moto top triple, LSL clip ons  waytogo

<sorry for the threadjack>

Herm,

Could you please post up some additional pics of your reservoirs from a different angle? I'd really like to see how you mounted them.

Thanks

<end threadjack carry on>  Grin

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: