Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 05:05:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of scotch..  (Read 16887 times)
eyeboy

some say, he eats raw bacon for breakfast...

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 05:39:09 AM »

Somehow I just knew I would find you here.  Wink

And yes, whiskies from the Isle of Islay are just plain nasty!  I even went there when I was in the UK hoping that it would be different, but...   vomit

aye, something about the seaweed... its just not right

Obfuscate! Obfuscate!

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room.

There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man.  The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self. And in bacon. 
raulduke

Classically Trained Chef and Pizza Delivery Driver

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 05:49:42 AM »

Hate to be contrary but...I am rather fond of Isly and the whiskey it produces.  Big and peaty and with that "of the sea" thing...briny sea air.

Certified Organic and Cage Free
eyeboy

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2008, 06:23:29 AM »

Hate to be contrary but...I am rather fond of Isly and the whiskey it produces.  Big and peaty and with that "of the sea" thing...briny sea air.

not at all, 'tis the beauty of scotch, something for everybody. but, the islay's don't catch my fancy. a character flaw to be sure... but my family is from the east of the country, so perhaps its genetic.

Obfuscate! Obfuscate!

There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man.  The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self. And in bacon. 
CLIVE

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2008, 06:45:10 AM »

Right, so, laphoraig is for a mature pallet. 

Should i just go for one of the popular ones to begin with like glenfddich or johnnie walker?
eyeboy

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2008, 07:00:46 AM »

Right, so, laphoraig is for a mature pallet. 

Should i just go for one of the popular ones to begin with like glenfddich or johnnie walker?

any of the 'glens' are great places to start. you really cannot go wrong. start with the younger ones and if you find something you like try an older vintage... there can be an amazing difference

Obfuscate! Obfuscate!

CLIVE

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2008, 07:51:48 AM »

Theres a bar near here called the drafting room that has a great selection of scotches, maybe ill just try and go there more often.  Seems like a good place to get my bearings.

eyeboy

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2008, 07:57:31 AM »

an excellent plan. many would disagree with me on this but i like my scotch neat with a wee splash of water to 'open it up'
your mileage may vary

Obfuscate! Obfuscate!

DaniD

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2008, 09:19:18 AM »

I just got home from a trip to Ireland and Scotland...I tried Talisker while I was there and I am definitely not a fan...Macallan is amazing and I bought a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 but I haven't tried it yet.  I was also informed by a bartender in Scotland that if I asked for ice in my drink I would be immediately expelled from the premises, but then again, they don't put ice in anything over there...unless it's Bailey's which is made even more delicious if you add a shot of brandy to it!  Grin

"Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends."
DucPete

07 S4R

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2008, 10:11:25 AM »

To go back to what the OP said, Scotch is pretty much like anything else you might try.  There are many different kinds and tastes and most of the fun is trying them out to see what you like. 

Like wine, some people like the pinot's while some like the Cabs.  Or Beer, some like a good Stout or some stick to their Coors light. 

For me I prefer the Glens, Morangie being my favorite. (Oban, Lagavulin also being fantastic)  I like the Sherry finish, but I prefer it without. The Islay's are an acquired taste.  For me it's like licking the north-west corner of a Scottish castle overlooking a Loch.

I also feel bad when drinking a good scotch on the rocks, or with water.  For me an 18 Glen Morangie neat is the way to go. 

I'm sorry you got all butt-hurt. Now let it go. Deep breath. Just let it goooo....

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. - Robin Williams
trenner

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2008, 09:17:06 PM »

Balvenie

+1!
raulduke

Classically Trained Chef and Pizza Delivery Driver

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2008, 11:35:23 PM »

drop of water for me please...just a drop though (.25-.5 oz)...basically neat. 

I learned to add a touch of water from a serious scotch drinker and it does open it up a bit...we are talking about seriously small amount of water though.

Unless, it is cask strength...then I usually dilute it with spring water to about 80 proof.

Certified Organic and Cage Free
CLIVE

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2008, 04:04:49 AM »

So i went to a bar last night that had macallan and laphroaig.... and a cigar selection.  The macallan was far too sweet, not my bag.  So i tried the laphoraig with water and WOW.  The cigar makes a difference.  I bought another cigar and went home and drank my own bottle.
gojira

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2008, 04:33:56 AM »

So i went to a bar last night that had macallan and laphroaig.... and a cigar selection.  The macallan was far too sweet, not my bag.  So i tried the laphoraig with water and WOW.  The cigar makes a difference.  I bought another cigar and went home and drank my own bottle.

Which Macallan?

CLIVE

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2008, 04:47:06 AM »

Which Macallan?

12.  It wasnt -bad- just sweeter than i would have liked.  Didnt go too well with the cigar, thats why i bought the laphroaig.
gojira

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2008, 05:09:51 AM »

12.  It wasnt -bad- just sweeter than i would have liked.  Didnt go too well with the cigar, thats why i bought the laphroaig.

Generally speaking I've found it much better as you go up in the years. One warning though: The price of a round goes up considerably each step. Consequently many bars don't stock the 25 and older.

Also, I've noticed the type of cigar does make a difference sometimes too. Macallan 25 and a Davidoff Millennium Blend ... oh yeah.  waytogo

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: