Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 09:35:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THCM needs assistance in Plano!!!!!!!  (Read 4303 times)
Duc L'Smart

« on: May 23, 2008, 06:15:08 PM »

http://ducatimonsterworldwide.org/index.php?topic=2980.0

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
powerhammer

Hi, how are you?

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 06:35:36 PM »

haha BLAM!  beat me to it, thanks bud  waytogo 

here's the post:

Ok I've found a decent lookin engine inside a whack lookin chassis up in plano that i was planning on going to check out on sunday.  the other motivation is that a lady friend of mine was inviting me to stay with her for the weekend to shorten the drive.  somethin happened and the second part of those plans got cancelled.  Now that gas is through the roof I would hate to drive all the way up there just to look at a bike and waste it if it isn't worth seeing.

I was hoping one of you were in that area and possibly free this weekend to drop in and have the dude fire it up and give it a thorough once over for me.  If anyone's available let me know, thanks!!

i have pics of what the bikes supposed to look like and some info on it.  I think the guy said it'd be best for me to come up there Sunday afternoon, have to reread the emails.  PM me if you got the time, thanks!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:02:24 PM by powerhammer » Logged

svoloch

too old to remember my titanium member...

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:55:53 AM »

did anyone do this?

Тише едешь, дальше будешь
2009 Streetfighter S
exes:
2006 Sh1t Hot Black Xerox 999     1973 BMW R75/5
2001 BMW K1200RS                     1994 BMW R1100S
1974 Guzzi T3                              1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW R90/S                         1973 Suzuki T500
AndreRA3
The DFWM envoy to Belgium!

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 12:43:34 PM »

I couldn't help, so I did not reply in the hopes that someone that could would.  Perhaps I should have said something to the effect of "I can't, can anyone else", but I didn't think of it.  My bad.

powerhammer

Hi, how are you?

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 03:02:05 PM »

I contacted the guy and he said he still has the bike so as of Tuesday I could still use someone's help if they have the time. 

powerhammer

Hi, how are you?

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 03:04:29 PM »

he sent me this as well:

major cross roads to me are at  springcreek and preston..

I know nothing about getting around Dallas/Plano but if that helps let me know.

rsoffar

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 03:05:49 PM »

i wish i could help ya, im up in plano but i dont feel knowledgeable enough to go check an engine out for someone.
there is a duc dealership up here in plano that you might be able to contact and have the guy take it by there to have it checked out though.. idk just a thought.

'00 M900s
AndreRA3

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 04:52:05 PM »

Same here, other than hear it idle and maybe twist the throttle a little bit and listen for clanking sounds, I'm not sure I'd be much use.  With my broken vertebrae still mending, looking at the engine close up might mean more pain than I'd like to go through.  I recently worked on the subframe and bodywork on my bike and paid the price the next day...

AndreRA3

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 04:53:42 PM »

Also, for what it's worth, Spring Creek and Preston is in the west side of Plano, maybe 3 minutes from the Dallas Parkway (tollway).  It's pretty close to where I live, but like I said above I'm not sure how much help I'll be.

fastwin
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 05:03:59 PM »

Can you post some specifics of what it is? Is it a Ducati? A Honda Aspencade trike?? Custom chopper with a 105c.i. S&S motor??? Did I miss something in a post? I'm not a tech genius but I know a couple of things about bikes and their engines. I could help, maybe. Certainly would like to try for a fellow Duc rider and board poster. waytogo I know that general area and it's not a stretch for me even at $3.82/gallon gas. Throw out some more info on what it is we are looking at. Or PM me.

fastwin

ps   My wife's birthday is this Saturday so I could stick with the "see it on Sunday" plan if that's still good to go.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 05:05:44 PM by fastwin » Logged
powerhammer

Hi, how are you?

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »

I didn't get a specific year from the guy but based on it being a Honda CB750 DOHC it's range is prolly 1979-1982.  I don't know a ton about these bikes but from what I've read they all have charging issues.  This guy said he's a honda tech and replaced the stator system with a permanent magnet system so it should never not charge.  Here's a couple pics of how he fuglied it up, but again remember I'm interested in a solid/straight frame and good running engine.  This is going to be a project bike for me anyways as far as bobber/rat bike.  The engine and frame look suuuper clean from these pics so that's a bonus.  looks like the tank is developing a nice rust patch though that i'll have to fix but i'm seeing a lot of that in these old cb's

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:52:08 PM »

Hey, it's late I just scanned the thread here.  Cool bike in the pix though.  Would love to (plan to) get a Honda like that some day.

I can run into town Thursday if that helps.  Just let me know what it is you need me to do.  Check that the pix match the real deal?  Is it available for viewing on Thursday?

(Anyone up for lunch Thursday?  MoFoToPia?  Scott?)

PM me by tomorrow (Wednesday) early evening.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

powerhammer

Hi, how are you?

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 07:02:57 PM »

I'll give the guy a call and see if he's available Thursday afternoon.  I just want someone to have him fire it up, assuming he hadn't warmed it up for an hour just so it fires up first try.  Maybe give it a good once over and if there's any major issues not shown in the pics snap a couple of those.  I can handle any visual imperfections on my own, it's the engine stuff I haven't learned much about yet.

I'm hoping she runs as good as she looks in which case I'll be picking it up this weekend.  Oh but for the record I'd remove that fugly mailbox for a tail section and checkerboard ASAP.

fastwin
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »

I had an '80 CB750... yes, it was new when I bought it... yeah, I'm that old and then some. What year model is this, do you know? How many miles? Any rebuild or high performance mods on the motor? Looks like a Two Brother's can from the carbon fiber and I like the last shot of the motor... looks real clean. Certainly no oil puddles from the pics. Yes, there are stupid people who don't clean up the puddles before pics. No shortage of stupidity. Did he give any report on inside tank rust... huge problem on older bikes that sit. If you even care. Sounds like you only want the motor. Is that right?
powerhammer

Hi, how are you?

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 07:32:21 PM »

well no, i'm shooting for a full package that runs and in a straight line if possible.  I just like the reliability of the old cb750's.  I'll be modding the shit out of the bike myself while at school with full access 24/7 to a badass shop.

I didn't get a report on the mileage or year yet.  The only changes he made to the engine (that i've been told) are in this quote from when i asked him about the charging system:

"yea that whole charging system thing hahha.. i ended up converting it to a permenet magnet system .i went through 3 feild coils and 2 regulator/rectifires on the oil system ,i got fed up and converted it .. works great.. "

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: