Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 02:33:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ?Saddlebags with a tailchop and riding two up FHE?  (Read 7037 times)
djrashonal

« on: September 29, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »

So I have been toying with the idea of choping the tail on my S4 but my lady wants to ride and I want to have saddlebags for extended trips....am I just getting greedy here? I've looked at different threads (http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=17723.0) and people say its gonna be tough. Anyone have any experience with saddlebags on a monster with a tail chop...and still being able to ride with a passenger?

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
S2R800 dark - searching for
redial

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 09:49:45 AM »

what exhaust setup? only one side like most people do the s4s? id be slightly worried about the saddle bag getting sucked into the wheel without exhausts on either side to block the gap (and the passengers leg to maybe put pressure inward)

i propped up a tailbag for a passenger to ride a short distance and boy what a bad idea. it got sucked into the wheel and i pulled it out as a tattered, melted, scorched mess about 4 blocks later. this wasnt saddles, but a tailbag i took the front mounting straps off of (like an idiot) i was lucky it didnt jam up the chain

djrashonal

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:06:34 AM »

I've got the highmount termi system on it dual cans. I'll take a few pics and post them up shortly. Any help/advice would be appreciated  waytogo

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:23:39 AM »

You're probably getting a little greedy Wink

How about a tank bag for you and a back pack for her? She can pack as much as she is willing to carry Grin

Sponsor Matrix MotorSports has the superb Kriega line, she'll be happy with one of those waytogo

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
redial

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 04:00:04 AM »

I've got the highmount termi system on it dual cans. I'll take a few pics and post them up shortly. Any help/advice would be appreciated  waytogo

shotgun style or one on each side?
if you have one on each side, fastrax by dowco are designed to work with highmount exhaust
not sure if your lady friend could get her feet on the pegs or not

if you have shotgun style i think you are SOL
djrashonal

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:59:57 AM »

That works well! I've got one on each side

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
dropstharockalot
Sex-Toy Bludgeonin'

The Teabaggin' Dragon

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:04:57 AM »

My M900 has the tail chopped and shortened low-mount cans.  I have the Cortech sport saddlebags, and I can't get them to mount up to where I'm comfortable that they'll stay out of the rear wheel while cornering.  I also don't like the potential for the exhaust to contact the bottom of the bags, regardless of Cortech's heat shielding.  In addition, the bags would rest on my turn signals and partially obscure them, which I am very uncomfortable with.  I really think that if I want to run this bike with the bags, I'm going to need come up with some sort of support system.

My experience would be that you're getting greedy.

'96 M900
Stage One - K&N Pods- DynaCoils - Remus Ti Hi-mount pipes (dented) -Thrashed paint - dented tank - Oberon bar-ends
redial

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:40:32 AM »

I really think that if I want to run this bike with the bags, I'm going to need come up with some sort of support system.

heres an option, but its pretty hard to see if you could actually get a foot on that passenger peg or not from that angle

this is Teutonics bike

he says they are made for the monster and sold through dealers (maybe no longer?) or second hand
djrashonal

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:01:46 AM »

Well i suppose i will set my greed aside.....
as for those hard cases, I dont think they will work with highmount exhaust, will they? I'll check out those fastrax, and if that doesnt pan out i'll stick with the backpack/tank bag combo....

I'll let you guys know what i end up getting/what works for me

01 SSSSSSS4 - Sold
'09 Triumph Bonneville
redial

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:15:48 AM »

Well i suppose i will set my greed aside.....
as for those hard cases, I dont think they will work with highmount exhaust, will they? I'll check out those fastrax, and if that doesnt pan out i'll stick with the backpack/tank bag combo....

I'll let you guys know what i end up getting/what works for me

oh yeah i already forgot the point of the thread!

as has been said, just make sure there is no chance of those getting sucked into the wheel. been there, sucked ass
dropstharockalot
Sex-Toy Bludgeonin'

The Teabaggin' Dragon

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:30:30 AM »

heres an option, but its pretty hard to see if you could actually get a foot on that passenger peg or not from that angle

this is Teutonics bike

he says they are made for the monster and sold through dealers (maybe no longer?) or second hand
Those look like ST-4 bags... they also look substantially larger than the Cortech's that I have.  He's apparently had to angle them to keep his signals in place, too...

From the pic, it looks like Teutonic 1) doesn't have a tail chop, 2) has his stock turn indicators, and 3) has his cowl on.

Dunno that the solution shown there would resolve the OP's original issue of still being able to ride two-up with bags and a tail chop.

'96 M900
Stage One - K&N Pods- DynaCoils - Remus Ti Hi-mount pipes (dented) -Thrashed paint - dented tank - Oberon bar-ends
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:16:54 PM »

If you chop the tail, make sure your passenger doesn't mind getting covered in any muck on the roads.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=26062.0

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 12:18:37 PM »

and make sure your rear spring can handle both of your weights.. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ArcDeDucati

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 01:35:27 PM »

I've got the Givi Soft Saddle bag solution.  You can get it from Monsterparts.com here http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/T680/Comfort-Touring/T680.html.  Works well.  I use zipties to as the Velcro setup that comes with it I just don't trust by itself.  I can get a knee down when both these bags are packed to the brim.  My girl can still get on the back but it's really not a that safe as she has to push back on the bags a little to get her feet on the pegs as the bags come right up against the rear pegs. The only draw back? You guessed it, can't have a tail chop.  If your going to need saddlebags don't do the chop.  Also if you plan on doing any trips where you'll need saddle bags you going to want the beer tray as riding through rain for 2 plus hours I can imagine is not fun with a big rooster tail.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:38:24 PM by ArcDeDucati » Logged

2007 Ducati S2R 800 - Totaled
2006 Triumph Thruxton - Sold
2007 Ducati S4R Testastretta
ArcDeDucati

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 01:41:02 PM »

this is Teutonics bike

I've been wanting to do this forever.  I think you need the low mount exhaust though as the shotgun wont let you mount one of the bags.  I think it can be rigged though.  Does anyone have a part number or name for this mount?  Teutonics can you PM me?  Sincerly appreciated brother. 

2007 Ducati S2R 800 - Totaled
2006 Triumph Thruxton - Sold
2007 Ducati S4R Testastretta
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: