Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 09:46:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [bang] oil leak, where could this one be comming from?  (Read 1991 times)
He Man
Post Whore

« on: November 04, 2009, 09:35:37 AM »

bang head just as i figured one out, another pops up.

anyone have a clue where this one may becomming from? i have a feeling htis one isnt good.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 09:37:32 AM »

from the pic it could be the shaft seal behind the cam belt drive pulley.

degrease it all and spray on some foot powder (washes off with water).

it will absorb and hold the oil and tell you where to look.

fyi if it is the shaft seal, it's not the worst thing in the world.  i believe it can be replaced without tearing down the engine much, you just have to remove the belts and then the two pulles from the shaft.  seal is right there, just pick it out and press a new one in, grease it good and you should be fine.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »

if that is the case, i guess it would be a good reason to get the cam tensioner tool. it would make my headahes go away when it comes time to remove that belt again.

whats the worst thing it could be? i cant find any cracks and ive never opend that side of the engine before..

i was thinking the oil return lines could have a bad oring, and the wind could force the oil leak up there. but i dont see oil on my boots or pants.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:44:16 AM »

if that is the case, i guess it would be a good reason to get the cam tensioner tool. it would make my headahes go away when it comes time to remove that belt again.

whats the worst thing it could be? i cant find any cracks and ive never opend that side of the engine before..

no idea.  check the mounts for cracks, that's really the only stress point for that side of the engine.  i doubt it is a crack.  usually a leak that's coming down the side is either an oil galley from teh vertical cylinder or a seal.  even if it's the cylinder, it just needs to be taken off and a new seal put in, also not crazy.  it can be done with the engine in the bike (but not easily, much easier to drop it.

also double check the cover screws.  i had a leak on a bike and was tearing my hair out because i thought i had to crack the case.  of course, dumbass, i finally looked at the alternator cover and noticed the bottom two screws were GONE.  DUH.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 09:52:51 AM »

Looks very much like the cam drive seal.

The recent seals on S*R bikes seem to get hard and lose the press fit.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 09:57:47 AM »

The recent seals on S*R bikes seem to get hard and lose the press fit.

that's what she said.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: