Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:50:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New S4R owner...need help with suspension setup!  (Read 2974 times)
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« on: May 26, 2008, 02:51:12 PM »

Just picked up a used 07 S4r.  Had 1500 miles when I bought her, added 600 over the weekend (actually yesterday).

Problems:

Bike seems like it's waaay to soft for me.  6'5", 230lbs.

The adjusters are all over the place, and I'm not sure where to start.  I'm trying to set the sag in the front, but when I sit on the bike only the rear will drop.  The front pre-load adjusters were all the way in, so I backed them off 4 turns (not sure where/if they stop) and still little to no movement in the front with me sitting on the bike, just the rear squats.

The ride height adjuster was as low as it could go, I raised it approx 1/2" total (1/4" on either end of the rod...approx 3 threads showing). 

I added some pre-load to the rear, although it wasn't making any difference at all on how much the bike squats....I'd say it's about 1.5" when I sit on it.

Riding impressions...  with the full termi, DP ecu, and open airbox, the bike runs well.  Lots of dive into the corners, but once the front is planted it brakes well, turn in/mid corner/exit is all soggy but I'm hopeing /assuming that is a function of the rear being too low and sprung waay to soft.

Questions:

How far "out" can I adjust the pre-load on the forks?  It's not going to unscrew completly from the top of the fork is/will it?

How much "adjustment" is there in the ride height rod?  How are people measuring it?  I'd like to raise it up more, but I don't want to go to far (obviously)

What is the starting sag for front/rear? 

Any idea why the front is showing little to nothing in terms of sag?  Is that because the rear is squatting so much?

Re-valve/re-spring showas and the sachs or just get cartridges and a penske?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 02:53:22 PM by TAftonomos » Logged

EEL

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:50:11 PM »

Here's a good start read this first

http://www.socalsportriders.com/boards/_1_DocPics/GaryJsSuspensionSeminar.pdf
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 12:08:29 PM by EEL » Logged
teddy037.2
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:47:01 AM »

cool beans  waytogo
TAftonomos

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 04:09:40 AM »

Thats an excellent read! Thanks!

I do have a good understanding behind why the bike is doing what it's doing, but I need some good baseline settings for the monster so I can start...also wondering about those q's I wrote up there.

aaronb

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:26:08 AM »

the link is not working for me.   Undecided

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
teddy037.2
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:01:54 AM »

go back to the homepage, then look up articles ->suspension 101 (IIRC)... it'll eventually point you to the *.pdf
carlosbarrios

04 Monster S4R__________ 74 CB550 Cafe Racer

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 08:46:23 AM »

just get rid of the "dot" at the end of the address:

Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »

If the springs are stock, and you're 230#, you'll have a hard time getting it set up properly until you get stiffer springs.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
aaronb

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 09:50:04 AM »

just get rid of the "dot" at the end of the address:

good catch, thanks!

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
arai_speed
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 10:24:42 AM »

If the springs are stock, and you're 230#, you'll have a hard time getting it set up properly until you get stiffer springs.

[EDIT: Sorry, we don't have the same bike, I have an S4RS...way diff]

I would disagree, I have the same bike and I'm at 220lbs or so in my b-day suit.  With gear easily  at 230lbs+ or so. 

TAftonomos, something you might want to look at is the tire pressure on the bike.

I recently tried running the manufacturer tire pressure 31/32 and the bike exhibited some of the same symptoms you described.  I went up to 36/36 on the tire pressure and they all went away.  My recommendation to you would be to set the suspension back to stock settings (you can find those in the manual) and go up accordingly from there.

As always, to set the setting back to stock, go fully clockwise (stiff) and back out from there.

I can give you the settings I'm running if you think that would help (I have them at home).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:30:58 AM by arai_speed » Logged
TAftonomos

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 10:34:43 AM »

I wish the ohlins settings would be of use to me Cheesy  I saved enough that I could swing the ohlins upgrades and still be in good shape on the bike, but for this one, less is going to be more.  My 999 gets all the big $$ upgrades Smiley

The rear is so soft that I can't get any sag measurements at the front forks, so I believe I'll need to start there with re-spring/re-valve.

If anyone else takes a look at this thread, please look over my questions in the first post.

THANKS!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: