Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:27:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DP gel / comfort seat - higher or lower? Mixed messages..... ?  (Read 5451 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: May 27, 2008, 05:17:48 AM »

I thought everything I read on the www was the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Regarding the DP gel seat:
Is it higher or lower than stock? I've been hearing both bang head It seems to be higher in front, under ones privates, and lower under the buttocks.

Can someone grab a beer and measure them both, please please please?

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
IdZer0

BE

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:40:02 AM »

I switched from a stock (695) seat to a DP gel seat and cannot tell a difference. I also tried my buddies S4R seat on my bike and (as I'm 1m70) I can just barely put the balls of my feet on the ground on all three versions of the seat. A lot of people say they are different heights, but I just cannot tell the difference.

2007 Monster 695, DP ECU, Low mount Alu Termignonis
replaced by 2011 848 EVO
optiato

'07 695

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:35:37 AM »

DP is wider, felt about the same height but probably because of the width.
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:40:04 AM »

I just installed one. It slopes downward from front to rear. I gotta tell ya that it seems lower than stock to me, all across the board. I have my rear suspension raised 3/4 inch and with the new seat can easily flat foot it. Very comfy too. It doesn't have the grippiness of the stock seat which is fine by me for the twisties but a pregnant dog when you smack it and slide all the way back to the stop in a heartbeat!  Huh? Oh well, there are always tradeoffs...

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
Jaman

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:05:11 AM »

I believe it is slightly lower, flatter, & thus feels "wider".

Mine actually feels "grippier" than stock, especially with textile pants - I can move my butt around better when wearing leather.
NvrSummer

2001 M900

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »

I believe it is slightly lower, flatter, & thus feels "wider".

Mine actually feels "grippier" than stock, especially with textile pants - I can move my butt around better when wearing leather.

Agreed!

Careful though, it gets hot as hell after sitting in the sun all day.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »

Agreed!

Careful though, it gets hot as hell after sitting in the sun all day.

think of that as a theraputic butt pad.  I personally love sitting on a super hot saddle after it bakes in the sun. Makes my bum soft.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
mihama01

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »

Mine feels lower than stock on my S4Rs and I switch between the two on a regular basis.

Red S4Rs, Tokyo
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 11:57:39 PM »

Mine feels lower than stock on my S4Rs and I switch between the two on a regular basis.

Hi Tokyo! Next time you switch, could you measure them? Smiley

Is the comfort seat easy to keep clean? Will it soak up moisture if left in the rain?

Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 07:41:34 AM »

it gets hot as hell after sitting in the sun all day.

Mine gets that way after only an hour - direct sun even in mid 70s - that gel acts like a heat sink.  If I put my jacket over the seat to block the sun it is fine.  I *think* it is a bit lower than stock.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
NvrSummer

2001 M900

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 11:57:45 AM »

think of that as a theraputic butt pad.  I personally love sitting on a super hot saddle after it bakes in the sun. Makes my bum soft.

Go ahead and lecture me, but I usually just commute with jeans on.  That makes the DP seat feel a bit more than 'theraputic!'  Glad you enjoy the sensation though!   laughingdp
topangster

"That's not a silly walk. THIS is a silly walk!"

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »

Stopintime -- I think you may be onto something here in terms of raising seat height as a solution to too cramped legs.  Doesn't sound like the DP Comfort Seat is an answer though.  From what I've read, the Sargent might do a bit better in this regard.

I'm considering going to an upholster and adding an inch or so of additional foam to my stock seat.  I find it comfortable enough, and another inch would make a big difference to my knee.  And I bet that would cost a lot less than a Sargent.

Btw, you're in Norway, right?  How's the riding there?  My wife is Danish and we spent a couple of weeks in Denmark last summer.  Wished I had my bike with me, the roads looked really fun...

Topangster

2008 S2R 1000 - tail chop, MFW-Vario rearsets, RB 02 Emulator, Tomaselli clip-ons, Spark mid-pipe, cored stockers
DucLeone

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »

the gel seat def. gets hotter then hell in the sun
it takes a while for it to cool down too once you sit on it

DUCATI NON E UNA MOTO, E UN STILE DI VIVERE
KISS FRENCH AND RIDE ITALIAN
S2R 800 Black
m1moto

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 03:19:38 PM »

Just measured them right now and the DP seat is 1" lower.

2006 S2R1K  |  Red + White  |  Full Carbon Arrows
http://freshbrand.com/
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 04:07:39 PM »

Stopintime -- I think you may be onto something here in terms of raising seat height as a solution to too cramped legs.  Doesn't sound like the DP Comfort Seat is an answer though.  From what I've read, the Sargent might do a bit better in this regard.

I'm considering going to an upholster and adding an inch or so of additional foam to my stock seat.  I find it comfortable enough, and another inch would make a big difference to my knee.  And I bet that would cost a lot less than a Sargent.

Btw, you're in Norway, right?  How's the riding there?  My wife is Danish and we spent a couple of weeks in Denmark last summer.  Wished I had my bike with me, the roads looked really fun...

Topangster

I think I might have to customize my stock seat. I sat on a DP comfort seat in my textiles and it was very sticky, although very comfortable. With the inch of lowering effect (thank you m1moto waytogo) and the stickiness, it's not what I want.
I want it to be more flat, not to slide in to the tank (privates first Shocked) + I want it stock height or more + I want the texture of the stock seat + I want gel padding = having it "flattened" by raising it towards the front, using ShockTec 3/8" or similar, done by a competent upholster shop. I hope there's enough material on the stock seat to re staple it after raising.

Wife Danish? Danish girls are among my favourites, a few good experiences still make me smile and think back when I hear their language - which is very similar to Norwegian (they "owned" us for about 400 years).
Roads in Denmark are nice and often with an open view around turns. Even more, almost only, twisty roads up here, but very uneven surfaces and some cracks because of the winter conditions when the ice/salt gets to work. The silver lining is that the ice/salt will make the oil/dirt/sand disappear and provide good grip. The scary downside of riding here is the reactions for speeding: 35mph over the limit on a highway will cost you your license for 6 months and $1,000-1,500 (IIRC) 40mph will be mandatory jail for a few weeks. An open eye, some planning and good mirrors have kept me out of trouble for years.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: