Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 02, 2024, 01:39:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front Wheel Wander  (Read 1381 times)
Schwanger

« on: May 27, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »

I recently installed LSL clip-ons above the top triple on my 01 M900Sie.  In order to mount the clip-ons I raised the forks through the triple by ~1/2" in the process I tightened the head bearings.  I have been having a problem with the front wheel wandering in long sweeping turns.  I made sure the front wheel is aligned properly (loosen everything, bounce on front end, etc).  My question is, lowering the front end did I change the geometry enough to cause this problem?  Is this something I'm going to have to get used to?
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:34:18 PM »

Is it effecting your line?  Is the bike upset/less stable in the turn? 

By moving the forks up, you decreased the rake of the bike, which will let it turn in faster, but does reduce the stability. It's possible you're just feeling a bit more of the raod through the bars now, part due to the reduction in rake and party due to the fact that you're more directly connected to the forks. 

Hmm, I don't really think I've got much productive to say on this....

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
Schwanger

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 04:38:29 PM »

The bike turns in fine just quicker.  It affects my line in long sweeping turns (i.e. cloverleafs) but not in harder shorter turns.  My feeling is that I will get used to it and will be able to control it, it's just a little unnerving
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »

If you overtightened your head bearings you could have induced a low frequency weave. I see this on bikes with dampers that are cranked up and a bent shaft.
double check the head bearings make sure they are not notched.
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 07:15:22 PM »

My question is, lowering the front end did I change the geometry enough to cause this problem?

1/2" is a lot of change in the front ride height. My usual advice is change it by less than 5mm at a time. Can you push the forks down a bit to see how it changes things? (even if you need to test ride it with the fork caps recessed a little into the clipons...)

I'd re-check your steering head bearings too it you tweaked them, I'd also look carefully at your rear tire - if it's getting a bit shagged and squared off I'd try replacing that before changing too much else, it might be that the geometry changes have made it a little more sensitive to rear tire wear...

big

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: