Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 11:22:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cruise Control  (Read 2939 times)
madmax178

I'd rather eat dirt than pavement

« on: May 27, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »

I'm buying anew car.  The car I"m looking at does not have cruise control.  The salesman said that cruise control could be mounted on the steering wheel, as factory is.

Should I buy a car with factory cruise already installed or buy this one and have them install it to factory specs.

My only concern with having them install cruise is that it may not be up to par with cruise out of the factory.  As I have heard people having problems with cruise being installed as an aftermarket item.

thanks,

Max

01 900 monster killed by parking lot vandals
Ford Focus-until I can afford another toy.
DY

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:39:56 PM »

I'm strongly against installing anything aftermarket at the dealership when you buy a new car.  They always mess it up in some way or another.  Just keep looking until you find the right one with everything on it that you want.
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:43:12 PM »

Adding an aftermarket system either requires a servo motor to be added under the hood, or some hijacking of the wiring to get the desired results of the servo motor that controls the throttle plate nowadays.

I'd avoid it if possible.

madmax178

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:51:16 PM »

thanks guys, that's what I needed to know.

I"ll give them the option to get one w/it already installed, so it will actually be factory cruise

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »

Get it already installed.

Rev. Millertime

Professional Asshole and all around creepy guy.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:09:06 PM »

You mean they still sell cars (other than fleet cars) without cruise?

Dayum!

When I left the sales game in '03 (Ford), the stripped down pickups (full size and ranger), cargo vans,  and base focus were the only thing that came without cruise.  Unless you ordered thru a fleet account, then you could get a vehicle damn near without seats or windows.

I figured by now everything would have cruise... especially since it helps with fuel economy.

I solve my problems like an adult, at the strip club drinking on a work night.
ODrides

2006 S2R 1000, 2003 998

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »

Some stripper Korean and Japanese cars still come without standard cruise control.  A friend was shopping for not-too-old Toyota Matixes and I had to advise to find one with cruise.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »

Go over the strippers part again, I got lost.

madmax178

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:25:55 PM »

This is a focus se, not base model, but it is a two door w/out cruise

38 OFF

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 03:20:57 PM »

My '04 Sierra pick up came w/o cruise control. I had them add one after the fact. Never had a problem with the cruise control, or anything for that matter on the truck. It has 140,000 miles now.
akmnstr
What a Handsome

The Puppy Killer

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 03:55:37 PM »

Strippers don't come with cruise control.  Dude, it's not that complicated. 

Give em a few bucks and they begin to warm up Grin

"you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas!!" Davey Crockett & AKmnstr

"An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men."
Charles Darwin

"I don't know what people expect when they meet me. They seem to be afraid that I'm going to piss in the potted palm and slap them on the ass." Marlon Brando
ODrides

2006 S2R 1000, 2003 998

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 04:43:10 PM »

This is a focus se, not base model, but it is a two door w/out cruise

They bother tacking two letters on the name, just not a cruise control button on the wheel.  SE = Sans Everything?
eyeboy

some say, he eats raw bacon for breakfast...

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 05:09:34 PM »

dancers, they are DANCERS.

sheesh

FYI on your way home stop by a gas station and splash a little on yourself... works like a charm! thanks Man-Show!

Obfuscate! Obfuscate!

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room.

There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man.  The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self. And in bacon. 
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »

It depends.  I had a 1999 Subaru Impreza L (yeah, the last of the bitty 2.2L N/A motors) and didn't order it with cruise control, since it was an outrageously expensive option.  Two years later, I found myself faced with a drive from MI to VA, and I didn't want to do it without cruise control.  I had a bit more money at that time, so I asked the dealer how much it would cost to have it installed.  The part was being cleared out of the warehouses and being sold for next to nothing, so I got it installed for something really trivial. 

It was great and functioned perfectly.  The only variation from having it from the factory was that there was a little rough spot where the stem came out of the steering column skirting.  They had to dremel that hole and it wasn't perfectly smooth, but you had to know about it and feel for it.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
madmax178

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 09:07:12 PM »

maybe I'll do it then, if they give me the price I want on the car.  It's a 200 option and they said cruise can be installed on the steering wheel.  if their's a problem I guess they have to fix it since it's under warranty

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: