Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 10:26:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BIG metal piece on oil drain bolt  (Read 10120 times)
John1454

« on: December 07, 2009, 09:07:51 AM »

I hope I do not confuse anybody with this picture... the two pieces in my hand were not from the same place.

The "J" looking piece of metal on the left was on the drain bolt.

The magnet on the right was on the oil filter.

This is the first oil change I did. I bought bike with 3500 miles and the previous owner had just changed the oil. The bike now has about 6700 miles and runs fine. One time about 800 - 1000 miles ago, the bike got stuck in neutral (actually I think it was in between gears if that makes sense), but some playing with the clutch and varies rev's and it quickly "un-locked" itself and has been perfect and not happened again since.

Anyway... What is the big J piece of metal???

I'm curious about the magnet on the side of the filter too... but that does not concern me as much as the big hunk of metal.

There were no shavings on the drain magnet (just the piece of metal in the picture) and the oil screen was clean.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »

My guess is that is a piece of your shift fork return spring.  You might want to take the cover off and take a look.
Duckintime

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »

Surprised it even shifted at all.. but yes, looks like piece of spring
pennyrobber

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:25:57 PM »

I'm curious about the magnet on the side of the filter too... but that does not concern me as much as the big hunk of metal.

Some people put magnets on the oil filter to attract and trap metal shavings inside the filter itself.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
John1454

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 12:49:39 PM »

Some people put magnets on the oil filter to attract and trap metal shavings inside the filter itself.
... it is news to me... but since finding it, I googled it, and it looks like something people do... however, the magnet I found was so small, it is hard to believe it would be strong enough (from the outside) to do anything. Maybe that was the previous owners intentions though.

Surprised it even shifted at all.. but yes, looks like piece of spring
My guess is that is a piece of your shift fork return spring.  You might want to take the cover off and take a look.
I have already put oil back in it... so I can't take the cover off (I guess I should have done that before I put oil back in). But my bike has been shifting fine, so I'm not too worried. I did  have that one issue as I mentioned above, but that was many miles ago.
I'm not a mechanic, and would have been intimidated to take the engine apart to see the inside and do more investigating... so I just went ahead and finished the oil change since it has been shifting / riding fine.

But I now have issues starting the bike: http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=32707.0

.. it just isn't my day I guess.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 02:41:20 PM »

just drain the oil into a container, you need to see what's going on. engines don't just shit out pieces of metal as part of their morning constitutions, its a sign that something is not right. Now's not a good time to get cheap.

Michael
Voted "Nicest Pants" 2009

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »

I have already put oil back in it... so I can't take the cover off (I guess I should have done that before I put oil back in).

If only your engine had some kind of "drain" that would allow you to remove the oil from within.

Wink

I agree with Michigan, you can't just not check that out.
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 03:15:12 PM »

+1 looks like the piece my bike shit out about 25000 miles ago.  It's and easy fix, but you gotta drain the oil and remove the left case cover, etc.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
John1454

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:32:48 AM »

okay I'm going to remove the cover this afternoon.

Dumb question: Do I need to drain the clutch fluid and remove the "clutch transmission unit" to remove the cover.... Or if/can I leave that attached to the cover will the clutch fluid stay sealed?
John1454

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 09:06:56 AM »

And... in thinking about it, it looks like the right side cover would be easier to remove... any reason you suggested the left?

does the left show more or is the broken piece more likely to be on the left side???

Thank you everyone for your help!!!
John1454

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 09:08:22 AM »

BTW, this is a 2003 620 if that makes any difference.
Ducatl

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 09:15:46 AM »

You can't like...see through the engine if you remove just one cover, they access different areas.  The clutch "fluid" is just your motor oil btw so like ato memphis suggested you can catch it in a very clean container and reuse if you want.  Pompetta suggests the left case cover which you usually need a puller for, you can use something like a steering wheel puller from autozone or the like.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=29511.0
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:22:53 AM by Ducatl » Logged
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 09:47:44 AM »

if the clutch fluid you are referring to is the hydraulic fluid, just pull the three bolts for the slave cylinder and let it dangle out of the way somewhere (i suggest zip tie to the frame out of the way while you are working). If you don't touch the clutch lever, then you are fine.

obviously you'll have to also remove the shift linkage from the gear selector rod that protrudes (one bolt).

the alternator case cover comes off easy by removing all the bolts that go around it (take the sprocket cover off and remove the bolt that hides below it too, but you'll be leaving your sprocket and the like alone).

then remove the little alternator access cover, and use the cheap tool (got mine from Slingshot Racing for my lightweight flywheel install) and the whole cover should 'pop' off. Make sure to clean the old gasket stuff off well before putting it all back together.

- EDIT:

I looked at the parts fiche on the commoto website. I believe this is on the clutch side. Not the alternator side. Part 20 of page 12/13 of the 2003 Monster 620 manual. You can buy an upgraded shift arm and it will come with a new spring (I believe) from Factory Pro so you can feel good about going through all this hassle.

To remove the ride side cover, you don't even touch the cluch slave or any of the like.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:57:01 AM by ato memphis » Logged

John1454

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 09:59:39 AM »

if the clutch fluid you are referring to is the hydraulic fluid, just pull the three bolts for the slave cylinder and let it dangle out of the way somewhere (i suggest zip tie to the frame out of the way while you are working). If you don't touch the clutch lever, then you are fine.
Thank You!

............ Okay, I'm going to go take it off now. I do not have a puller. But once I get to that point if I can't get it off I will get one at pep boys; which is literally just down the street from my house.

Once I get it all opened up, if I can't see where the broken piece came from, I will post a picture and we can have a "Where's the Broken Piece" version of "Where's Waldo". haha

Thanks for your help and encouragement everyone.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 10:02:28 AM »

Just take your time. Rushing with the cases open is a good way to say "wonder where that screw driver went"

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: