Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 10:09:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why We Wear Gear  (Read 5109 times)
BarneePhife

Nip it! In the bud!

« on: May 28, 2008, 05:44:07 AM »

I'm not one to make fun of anyone's misfortune, and that is not my intent with this message.  I share this news because I believe it's worthwhile to highlight why we choose to wear gear when we ride.  I'm sure there are countless stories every day like this one.  It is sad, especially when it hits so close to home.  I don't know this rider personally, but she works at the same company as me.

At my work, there is a fairly large motorcycle riding community which informally keeps in communication about upcoming local events in the Fort Worth area, and occasionally schedules days where many employees ride to work and then go to lunch together.  Many of these riders own "Harley" type cruisers.  I don't want to stereotype anyone, but I don't think it's hard to swallow the idea that a larger percentage of "cruiser" riders than Ducati riders don't wear a lot of riding gear (helmets, gloves, leathers, etc).  The following is an email thread which just started this morning from this group.  While gear isn't specifically mentioned, I just get the impression based on the severity of the injuries, that the rider may not have been wearing a full face helmet or gloves.

My thoughts and prayers are with her and their family.  It sounds like an unfortunate accident that didn't need to happen, and some injuries which probably could have been minimized with proper gear.

Subject:   Rider Down...Terri Teague

One of our fellow Alconian bikers, Terri Teague, was in a motorcycle accident last Saturday evening.  From what we have heard so far, Mike and Terri were moving at highway speed on I-35 in front of Miller Brewery.  There was an idiot on a crotch rocket weaving in and out of traffic and closing on them from behind at a very high rate of speed.  The word is that the police had already been called about this moron and his reckless driving.  Unfortunately, they hadn't caught him before he took Terri out.  Supposedly, he hit another vehicle and ricocheted into Terri.  The impact knocked her off of her bike and sent her skidding onto the pavement. The crash totaled her bike, but she's alive.  Her injuries are serious, but thankfully not life threatening.  She's got road rash all over her face, hands, and body, 8 staples in her head, and a broken bone in her hand.  She is out of the hospital and home now but cannot do much for herself, since she can't use either of her hands because of the severity of road rash and the break. The guy that hit her was arrested and charged with a felony.

Mike is home helping with her care, I hear that they have 7 children living at home with them. So, any of you that want to drop off a casserole or some other baked goodies (or just take out food for the single guys), I know Mike and Terri would really appreciate it.

Terri saw her doctor yesterday and he's recommending to Mike that she needs to be scrubbed daily to prevent scabbing and scarring and I'm afraid this will be so painful and Terri will be so exhausted after each session.  (my stomach turns just thinking about it!)  They are so grateful to everyone for their love, prayers and support!

Keep her in your prayers for a fast healing!  Please forward this onto any of Mike and Terri's friends that are not on our biker list.

Every time...every where....RIDE SAFE!!!

• 2006 Ducati SportClassic 1000
  • 1978 Yamaha GT 80

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
fastwin
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:42:16 AM »

Ouch! My sympathies to your friend/co-worker but your assessment is probably right... zero protective gear. You would think that since there are so many cruisers out there (Harley or not) that there has to be a good percentage that crash and of those how many get hurt like your friend or worse due to doo-rags, no gloves, no real jacket, etc.? Oh, but you do have to wear your Harley brand steel toed boots... at least your feet are OK. Tongue Logic would dictate that if members of your deer herd keep getting killed and eaten by lions every time you go to drink from a pond you might consider not going to that pond and try another one. Just basic herd logic. Guess that doesn't apply to cruiser riders... cool style above safety. No matter how many of your friends get hurt because of no gear. Twenty bucks says that her friends rode to the hospital to see her all wearing doo-rags and nothing else. Roll Eyes

Glad they caught and charged the asshole on the "crotch rocket". I have a Busa and GSXRs and it pisses me off when I see them do their typical nonsense on those bikes. People in cars look at me like I'm an idiot when I'm on one of those bikes in full gear because some jerk just cut them off wheelying at 100mph on LBJ. They can't tell I'm a bald old fart, for all they know I'm the dumbass that just cut them off. Except he probably had on a tank top, shorts and flip flops. Oh well, riders have always had an image problem with the general public... always will. Heck, we even have an image problem amongst ourselves. This post proves it. bang head
LYD

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:01:58 AM »

Jim, I am so sorry to hear that.  If there is a way to get ahold of either of them please pass this information on to her.  I was in a accident about 5 years ago with major road rash (no gear) and I had to keep gauze on the rash at all times and had to have it scrubbed everyday also.  Tell them that instead of gauze use womens pads. (ultra thin work well)  They are sterile and DON'T STICK to the rash.  It may seem wierd, but trust me IT WORKS!!  Plus they are alot cheaper than gauze. Tell them to cut a t-shirt up the middle and stick them to the shirt after they put neosporane on the rash, this way she can put the shirt on like a jacket.

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
fastwin
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:14:29 AM »

Alan, you told me the reason you know this so well. Sorry you had to learn the hard way too. That simple spin around the block with no gear sounds OK at the time. What's that stat about wrecks happening a quarter mile from the house? But that is good advice about the women's pads. William, are you taking notes? Do you know how much skin I lost road racing bicycles?? Lots. Tongue You get real good at cleaning and bandaging road rash. Unfortunately.
BarneePhife

Nip it! In the bud!

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 07:27:43 AM »

Jim, I am so sorry to hear that.  If there is a way to get ahold of either of them please pass this information on to her.  I was in a accident about 5 years ago with major road rash (no gear) and I had to keep gauze on the rash at all times and had to have it scrubbed everyday also.  Tell them that instead of gauze use womens pads. (ultra thin work well)  They are sterile and DON'T STICK to the rash.  It may seem wierd, but trust me IT WORKS!!  Plus they are alot cheaper than gauze. Tell them to cut a t-shirt up the middle and stick them to the shirt after they put neosporane on the rash, this way she can put the shirt on like a jacket.

Alan, that sounds like really good information.  I have passed it along to someone who's planning to visit her daily after work.  Hopefully he will pass it along, and they will find the information useful and helpful.

• 1978 Yamaha GT 80

LYD

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »

The pads will save her many days of pain from having to remove the gauze everyday.   The pads basicaly fall off. It sucks to have to give this information out, but trust me it works, and works well!!  Tell the people who are going to see her this is serious and tell her!

RIP cdc

01 900 monster
01 748
02 900ss (trackbike)
12 1200s Multistrada
never2loud
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 08:19:43 AM »

Wow. 

It is terribly ironic you posted this just now; I was just driving home from some errands and noticed how nice and sunny it was... still really humid.  Maybe I'll just go for a quick spin on the motorbike.  Damn, it'd feel a lot nicer if I didn't wear my jacket... Prolly could ditch my gloves too - save my manicure from creases in the polish that's for sure.  Jeez, what could happen?

No shit - my exact thoughts 20 minutes ago.  Not sure what was going through my head there... Not THIS very sad story obviously.

Thanks for the post Jim and my sincere best wishes to her and her family for a speedy recovery.

ATG/ATT
Asia1098

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »

Wow, that sounds so painful. I wish her the best. I hope this doesn't change her opinion regarding sport bike riders for the worse. Roll Eyes

LYD, that is some really good information. I've heard of that treatment before in Asia, so guess it really does work. The sticking on the shirt part is really smart. First time for me to hear about that. waytogo

Barry
I liked my Hondas, but I loooooved my DUC!!!
2004 Honda 599 Hornet in Ashalt....again.
2007 Ducati 1098 Smiley---SOLD!!!
2006 Honda VFR 800i---SOLD!!!
2006 Honda CBR 600rr---SOLD!!!
2004 Honda 599 Hornet yellow---SOLD!!!
Failure is success if we learn from it.
Jester

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:01:34 AM »

On the no gear topic....

I saw a guy on a cruiser today ( the typical lot, no gear and a bandana ) with one hand on his throttle and the other was up to his ear talking on a cell phone... ON A MOTORCYCLE WTF.  I thought we had enough problems dealing with car drivers on phones.  I never thought I'd see a biker talking on his phone cruising down the road.  How do you even hear anything with the engine and wind noise???

and we wonder why non riders think we're all lunatics..  Angry

09’ 848     07’ S2R800
BarneePhife

Nip it! In the bud!

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 10:50:32 AM »

Wow. 

It is terribly ironic you posted this just now; I was just driving home from some errands and noticed how nice and sunny it was... still really humid.  Maybe I'll just go for a quick spin on the motorbike.  Damn, it'd feel a lot nicer if I didn't wear my jacket... Prolly could ditch my gloves too - save my manicure from creases in the polish that's for sure.  Jeez, what could happen?

No shit - my exact thoughts 20 minutes ago.  Not sure what was going through my head there... Not THIS very sad story obviously.

Thanks for the post Jim and my sincere best wishes to her and her family for a speedy recovery.

ATG/ATT

Irony abounds.  Just last night I allowed myself to relax my usual riding gear for a test ride (literally) around my block to make sure all my gizmos on my bike were operational for the Hill Country ride.  My wife caught the evidence on her iPhone.

And guess what?  I did get hurt for not wearing proper gear.  When I was putting the bike away in the garage, I burned my calf on the exhaust!   Angry

• 1978 Yamaha GT 80

Taz Duc

'08 1200L Sportster & '07 S4rs

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 01:29:55 PM »

That is a very sad story, my prayers go out to her.  Here's hoping she has a fast recovery.

I'm sure many people think I over dress when I ride, but that is my personal choice.  I rather be hot and have my cloths stick to me, than take a chance on either bike. Even on hot and humid days I feel naked without my chaps, so I wear them on the Duc until I find leather riding pants.

Experience has shown when not prepared that's when bad stuff happens.
fastwin
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »

Got that right! waytogo It's a twist on the Murphy's Law thing... take a rainsuit, it won't rain... take a flat repair kit, you won't get a flat. Well, on second thought, the flat repair kit/no flat theory is automatically trumped if you are on a ride with Scott! laughingdp I don't know how you classify guaranteed tire trouble. Hopefully the tire curse will be busted on the Hill Country ride! Grin

Hope you are a good inspiration to your cruiser bike riding friends by wearing all your gear. Hopefully they don't need inspiration and are smart just like you.
never2loud
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »

That is a very sad story, my prayers go out to her.  Here's hoping she has a fast recovery.

I'm sure many people think I over dress when I ride, but that is my personal choice.  I rather be hot and have my cloths stick to me, than take a chance on either bike. Even on hot and humid days I feel naked without my chaps, so I wear them on the Duc until I find leather riding pants.

I bought a pair of chaps the other day - how do you like yours, TazDuc?  Not to be morbid, but do you know of people who have crashed with chaps?  Did the chaps provide enough protection?

I've seen so many cruiser riders with chaps, thought I'd add them to the summer repitoire.  The ones I've got are very thick so in addition to abrasion resistance, I figure they'll work on bugs and flying gravel as well.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 02:35:05 PM by n2f » Logged
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 03:19:18 PM »

Well, on second thought, the flat repair kit/no flat theory is automatically trumped if you are on a ride with Scott! laughingdp

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!!!  laughingdp

What's up with my tires, anyway?!?!

At least MY bike didn't go up in a puff of smoke on the last HC trip  Tongue

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 03:21:15 PM »

I've seen so many cruiser riders with chaps, thought I'd add them to the summer repitoire.

Good idea... Make sure you get the half-chaps (just up front) they're cooler. Lots of fringe to match your jacket!
Also don't forget to wear something underneath- brightly colored thong underwear works the best  waytogo

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: