Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:47:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Install DDM Hi/Lo 35w H.I.D. Kit Slim Ballast in OEM Housing  (Read 10820 times)
Moses

« on: December 19, 2009, 06:51:09 PM »

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything you do. This is just the procedure that I went threw with my install. Have fun.  Grin

How To: Install DDM Hi/Lo 35w H.I.D. Kit Slim Ballast

My experience, um I’m pretty much a do it yourselfer, the type of person that if some thing’s broken I’ll take it apart to see why it’s not working and fix it. I’ve installed this brand H.I.D. kit on my NSX and a friend’s MB C-Class, but never a Hi/Lo kit. When I initially got the kit I thought to myself, where am I going to put all this damn wiring on a motorcycle. Figured it would be more of a challenge, so I began with a smile on my face since I’m always up for a challenge.
The reason I decided to go with this kit is because I’ve had the exact same one installed on my car for over 2 years and never had any problems (and it comes with a lifetime warranty). I’ve also seen test where the seller hammered the ballast and soaked the ballast in a fish bowl and it kept working perfectly fine. I figured with the vibration from the bike this kit would be perfect.

First to remove the headlight housing you have to remove the 2 bolts that hold the headlight in place then unplug it from the harness (as shown).

Then unscrew the one screw that holds the chrome ring in place. After the original light is removed you can then replace it with H.I.D. hi/lo bulb. The bulb mounts up perfect, but when you try to put everything back the way it originally was you’ll notice you have extra wires that don’t fit and that the bulb no longer fits it the housing  because of the hi/lo magnet.

This picture shows the hi/lo bulb installed into the headlight.

So I decided the hell with it and cut a hole into the housing. I cut the hole right in the middle of the housing just enough to clear the hi/lo bulb and to let some of the wiring out which can be seen here (not perfect but good enough to get the job done):

Made sure everything fit then painted the exposed metal that was cut inside and outside the housing and put electrical tape over it to prevent the cut edges from rubbing into the wiring.

I then wondered to myself if I could fit the ballast, extra wiring, and igniter into the headlight housing. In this feat I removed the 3 prong connector housing from the factory bulb and H.I.D kit.

3 prong connector:

I then connected them without the housing and electrical taped them, of course make sure you connect them correctly middle to middle, left to left, right to right. Hopefully you understand what I’m saying.

This allowed extra room within the housing. I also removed extra wiring from the DDM kit. I don’t have a picture of all the wiring that was removed but I do have a picture of what your plug that connects into the hi/lo controller should look like when done. I just used a paper clip to remove the connector from the plugs, but they do sell the correct tool to remove the connectors, what you do is your choice. I even thought about  just cutting the wires that weren’t needed and taping them off, but in the end decided to remove it the correct way. The 2 empty spaces are the wires to be removed.

During this I decided to paint the chrome ring satin black because I hate chrome  Grin  How to will be uploaded soon, but it’s pretty simple.

After all of this, I crammed everything into the housing and put electrical tape over the exposed parts to prevent dirt and other contaminants from entering into the housing. I managed to put the ballast, igniter, and other wiring into the housing. All that what left coming out of the housing was the ground wire, the positive wire and the headlight controller.

Which all of this you can choose where you want to zip tie it to. Here’s a before and after of all the wiring that was coming out of the housing.

Installation of the headlight is the opposite of course, don’t forget to aim the headlight as per the service manual. Here’s a picture of the everything installed and the chrome ring painted satin black.

Any questions, feel free to email me for the fastest response at mperezkr@hotmail.com.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:00:40 AM by Moses » Logged
Moses

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:25:46 AM »

300 mile update with out any problems at all. Ridden a couple of times at night and the output is awesome. Very happy I did this, haven't had any oncoming traffic high beam me either. The housing is always cool to a touch.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:40:12 AM by Moses » Logged
DarkStaR

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:28:32 AM »

I have the 35w low beam only kit (no bucket modification), and was wondering...

With the increased light output from the HID (low beam), is the high beam still worth the effort?

How fast does the kit switch from low-high/high-low?

I've learned to live without a high beam for some time now, and rather than trying to get some ones attention with a flash, I just get out of the area completely.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:33:50 AM by DarkStaR » Logged

Moses

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:53:34 AM »

Depends on you, if you haven't used it now then it's basically up to you if it worth the extra effort. It does make a very noticeable difference of course. The only thing is that you have to use one or the other, both can't be used at the same time. I wanted to have the assurance that I have it if I ever need it.

The switch to high beam is less then a second. The bulb is always on, when you hit the high beam switch it just moves the shield inside the bulb so that the light output is reversed.
Moses

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:34:15 PM »

Everything is running good and strong with out any problems whatsoever.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 06:04:16 AM »

in my opinion, the highbeam isnt noticeable like an H4. Theres no extra light to blind someone with, because ur already blinding them with the glare,

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
millertime24
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 10:53:17 AM »

Thanks for the write-up OP. I bought the same DDM kit and just installed it. I'm impressed that you were able to fit all of the wiring into the headlight housing... I opted to have my wiring in front of the airbox.
Moses

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 12:06:24 PM »

have to move everything around till it all fits. did you follow ALL the steps.

Glad this How to helped you out.

Did you make this

into this:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: