Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:51:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: messenger bags or tank bag or neither  (Read 4606 times)
badgalbetty

its never too late to be who you might have been

« on: December 27, 2009, 06:49:14 AM »

When riding what is your preferred method of carrying all of the stuff that we have to?
I have a plastic tank so the traditional tank bags are out........and I dont like the ones that have 87 million straps on them, as they make a fuel stop an ordeal plus I deal with enough straps already. laughingdp
I usually just put my d/l into a pocket with other stuff and not carry make up.
Thinking about getting a messenger bag for next season though.......
Any thoughts on this subject?

"Its never too late to be who you might have been" - George Elliot.
kp

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:06:24 AM »

a messenger bag as in the one strap carry all?   I'd be worried that it would swing
around to much for me. I agree with the strappy kinda tank bag, a hassle and not worth
it. I always say that if Ducati wanted me to haul stuff on my tank, it wouldn't be plastic.

If I need to carry something bigger than my pockets can hold I use a smaller back pack, not a huge one. Mostly because I don't like the feel of it. I put my DL, debit card, AmEx card, ins card and a few 20s in a slim Coach wallet. That goes in my jacket right hand side pocket and my iPhone goes in my left hand side pocket. My riding pants have some decent size pockets, I ALWAYS have a chapstick in the right one. And the left pocket always has a few spare hair thingys.  When I went out west on the Monster I had the mini tech fabric saddle bags, big enough and unobtrusive. I bungied sleeping bag, therma rest pad and another smaller bag for other misc stuff.  When I do a group ride, someone always has a tank bag with the route in the top clear plastic part, and I ride near them!

I can't be bothered with a lot of makeup on a ride, a bit of mascara and eye liner, because it's gonna get wiped off anyway and I don't want make up residue in my helmet. I usually have a bandanna with me for helmet hair, but no matter what, you get that anyway! 
hoyden

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »

I carried a messenger bag for years... but this past year gave it up.  Having the one strap bag with any weight in it was hell on my shoulder(s).

I love my tank bag, but then again, both my bikes have  metal tanks so annoying straps aren't an issue.
If I had a plastic tank, I would  get a tail bag or seat bag. It's like a tank bag, but on the other end! (and doesn't get in the way when gassing up)  Smiley
Otherwise, perhaps a small backpack. I have a small Camelback (live in Az) that carries water and has enough room left over for necessities: wallet, phone, book and random other objects.

"All my life my heart has sought a thing I cannot name."
- HST
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 08:44:31 AM »

Different sizes for different needs. I have the one in the second link and use it every day - click on click off.
For shopping and gym clothes I use a back pack. Messenger bag will swing around.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/658/

http://www.mv-motorrad.de/lshop,showdetail,29183,e,1261938955-29183,008,10182-84,,Tshowrub--008,.htm

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 08:48:32 AM »

I use a tailbag (Cortech Sport) and/or backpack.

I've tried a strap-on tank bag and agree it is too much hassle.

With the backpack get one that has straps you can fasten around your waist, it keeps it in place and helps keep the weight/strain off of your back and shoulders.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 08:54:05 AM »

I use a tailbag (Cortech Sport) and/or backpack.

I've tried a strap-on tank bag and agree it is too much hassle.

With the backpack get one that has straps you can fasten around your waist, it keeps it in place and helps keep the weight/strain off of your back and shoulders.

That's a good point. The chest strap might not be in the right place for a woman, although I've seen them positioned specifically for women.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
hoyden

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 09:32:50 AM »

yeah, I forgot that - one of the things I've never liked about messenger bags is where the cross strap sits!
Pulls right across the breasts so it's uncomfortable, creates a very appealing squashed breast look  Roll Eyes or it cuts too high if you try to keep it off that section of your body.
boo.

"All my life my heart has sought a thing I cannot name."
- HST
dolci

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 05:08:54 AM »

I use tailbags; when I do have anything to put into a tailbag there seems to be so much of it that I wouldn't trust a messenger bag.  Laptop, gym stuff, etc.  I have a rack on the back and I can either use a smaller sportpack or when we travel, I can fit almost 2 weeks worth of stuff in my bags.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing; however, they can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

2005 620ie
1998 GS500E - gone
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 06:48:34 AM »

I use tailbags; when I do have anything to put into a tailbag there seems to be so much of it that I wouldn't trust a messenger bag.  Laptop, gym stuff, etc.  I have a rack on the back and I can either use a smaller sportpack or when we travel, I can fit almost 2 weeks worth of stuff in my bags.

the rack/tailbag system I installed on her bike is made by Ventura, see -> www.cycleventure.com

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 01:03:43 PM »

Depending on how much you want to carry you might look at one of the camel backs or clones. There's many in a back pack style that have some amount of cargo capacity beyond the ability to carry water. My friend rides with hers all the time

Also you could look into a waist pack. Kreiga makes a camel back type back pack and a couple sizes of waist pack. Also they have a few add in items like the 'kube' that can be attached to any of their packs (or just about any pack) that is good for smaller items you want to keep for easy access, like a phone.

Generally a classic messenger bag us just too big for the small items you might want on a days ride. Many do have additional cross straps to limit twisting or flapping but they are not weight bearing. So as has been said all the weight is on one shoulder.

Guess one other alternative might be a more touring style jacket or pants. Ones with more larger pockets

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 02:26:01 AM »

also worth considering, wind catching the straps or the bag increases the load beared on the rider when the bag is on you, so a bag that isn't intended for this type of purpose can amplify it's ineptitude or faults in the usage and can wear you down inadvertantly.

for plastic tank Monsters, the twisted throttle links to the bags that attach to a ring that is installed on the fuel cap ring are a great and convenient set-up...but my preference is for a tail bag/trunk set-up...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
roxy696

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 03:37:56 PM »

I know that it cost a few $$$$$$ but I have a 696 and bought the ducati seat bag for it, I have been really happy with it.  There is a base which has little side bags like mini panniers and I can fit my small camera wallet and other goodies in one side then have a 350ml water bottle and some more small bits in the other side, so often do not take the bag itself.  The bag opens up large enought that I have fitted a change of clothes and shoes for both hubby and I in it for an overnight ride.  I tried a back pack and i am not sure if it is the fact that being of the not so tall breed the bag seems to sit to low to feel comfrotable also in the event of an accident a bag may help or may make things worse, so decided no back pack.

Happy new year!! chug Vino!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: