Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 06:37:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help getting a ramp  (Read 3917 times)
factorPlayer

« on: May 28, 2008, 03:51:50 PM »

Hey all I need some input on a getting a decent ramp for loading the bike in my truck

preferably I'd like

-light
-easy to use by myself
-folds up for easy storage
-plated in carbon fibre

What kind do you use? any input is appreciated, thanks
fastwin
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 03:53:46 PM »

Bryant8 has a pretty nice ramp for his pickup. If he doesn't post here shoot him a PM.
calscrazy

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:45:43 PM »

discountramps.com that's where i got the one for my bike and the one for my big bear 400. they work great. no probs in over 2 yrs for the 4 wheeler and 1 yr with bike ramp.

home will always be between the red and rio!!!
2007 m695 errr recently passed away
never2loud
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:05:08 PM »

Aluminum Ready-Ramp. 

http://www.readyramp.com
James.M

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:15:45 PM »

I got a $40 dollar one from home depot, light, folds in half and good quality... its black, im sure they have it down there...
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 06:40:08 PM »

I have a Black Widow ramp from discountramps.com. It's a 9' arched ramp that folds Dow to 4'6"  It's a bed width ramp so loading and unloading is pretty easy solo. It does break down into 3 parts via changing pivot bolts.

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
sdlrodeo

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:53:05 PM »

The height of your truck's tailgate when open and the clearance of the underside of your bike should determine the type of ramp you get. If you have a pretty low truck/high clearance, you don't need to worry about length/arch. If your truck is average a standard arched aluminum ramp should work pretty well if it is at least 7' long. I ended up buying two folding aluminum ramps similar to Item #370054237356 on ebay. I say similar because I would've liked these better I think. Mine are flat aluminum plate with oblong holes punched out for traction. Not the best. I usually set one to the left of the center to walk up and one in the center of my truck for the bike. I turn up the fast idle and clutch the bike up the ramp while walking next to it. I should say that I drive a ranger edge, it isn't too high. Once in a while, the rear tire will spin a little, but mostly I can do it myself. Another cheaper option would be to get 1 ramp and a milk crate/step to help when you need to get up on the truck. Don't know if that helps or not.
Steve

Wrist is to throttle as finger is to trigger.
bryant8

2008 848 White

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 07:47:04 PM »

sdlrodeo is correct, a lot of it depends on your truck dimensions.

In my case having the extra length and arch makes loading easy and won't damage the belly pan.  Most of the full size trucks now have a higher bed and the short 6'-7' ramps won't let you clear the plastics if it isn't arched. 

2008 848
Mods: Full Termignoni Race Exhaust/ECU Tuned by AMS, Ducati Performance Dry Clutch Slipper Clutch, Öhlins steering damper
Next: Öhlins TTX shock and Öhlins fork internals, track body work
26.2 done 12/5/2010
70.3 by 10/12/2011
140.6 by 12/31/2012
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:10:56 AM »

I have a Black Widow ramp from discountramps.com. It's a 9' arched ramp that folds Dow to 4'6"  It's a bed width ramp so loading and unloading is pretty easy solo. It does break down into 3 parts via changing pivot bolts.

Yeah, I have the same ramp.  Works great.  I can ride my Harley in and out of the back of my Frontier.  Not much room left in the truck for the ramp though.  So taking it along with me has been a bit difficult.  I can break it down and slide it into the back seat of the crew cab; have done that.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

factorPlayer

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:48:27 PM »

Aluminum Ready-Ramp. 

http://www.readyramp.com

That one looks good and having it double as a bed extender is definitely a plus.
It looks skinny though....  skinny ramps make me nervous  Undecided

Yeah, I have the same ramp.  Works great.  I can ride my Harley in and out of the back of my Frontier.  Not much room left in the truck for the ramp though.  So taking it along with me has been a bit difficult.  I can break it down and slide it into the back seat of the crew cab; have done that.

Well the ramp would definitely have to come with, the idea is to haul the bike somewhere cool and ride it, then haul it back.  I've got a Frontier too so that's cool it works well with it. 
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 03:13:47 PM »

That one looks good and having it double as a bed extender is definitely a plus.
It looks skinny though....  skinny ramps make me nervous  Undecided

Well the ramp would definitely have to come with, the idea is to haul the bike somewhere cool and ride it, then haul it back.  I've got a Frontier too so that's cool it works well with it. 

I recommend the Black Widow.  It's basically one wide ramp with two narrow side ramps.  6 parts in all.  Each ramp is hinged in the middle.  You can either have the three ramps separate and lash them together with the included tiedown type straps (included for that purpose), or bolt all three together at the hinges (you still want to strap them together with the strap though).

I strongly recommend that you use the latter method as it's more stable.  It's more steps in the set up and break down, but that's cheap insurance to having the ramp slip on you as it did me when I tried to go the easy route.

Also, have a couple of ratcheting tie downs on hand for the ramp.  I use the same ones I secure the bike with.  Use these to secure the ramp to the truck.  There are two padeyes on each side of my trailer hitch.  I run a tiedown from each of these to the each of the narrower side ramps and sinch it up tight.  It makes for a very safe and stable ramp.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

calscrazy

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 03:39:17 PM »

2x6x12 i hear they are very sturdy!  Evil

home will always be between the red and rio!!!
2007 m695 errr recently passed away
WonderBoy

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 04:30:32 PM »

you might be able to lowball McCain with an offer he can't refuse...

High above the muckey muck...
James.M

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 06:01:18 PM »

you might be able to lowball McCain with an offer he can't refuse...
no bro, I dont buy my bikes to just resell them for a great deal, like someone else we know.  Roll Eyes
factorPlayer

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 12:50:02 AM »

I recommend the Black Widow. 

Which size? they come in two, right?

Does it break down to a transportable size?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: