Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:06:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: computer suggestions  (Read 3216 times)
capt steubing

« on: May 28, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »

So a couple of months ago, I posted on TOB about a problem with my Sony VAIO desktop computer, and after a lot of screwing around I've found that my motherboard is bad.  So I guess it's time for a new computer.   I'm mostly looking for suggestions on where is a good place to look for a good deal on a PC.  The other sorta problem that I have is I'd like to hook up the hard drives from the old computer into the new computer and at least transfer some things out onto the new computer, so do I need to look for something in particular to do this?  And has anyone seen a good deal on a decent computer recently?  By the way, I love the new board, and am disgusted by TOB and really like the vibe of this place, kinda reminds me of TOB 4-5 years ago.   waytogo 
Mac_48

I Ride: a 2005 S2R 800 (sold)

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:10:57 PM »

I really like my HP that I got at Best Buy...they can transfer all of your old files on to the new comp. if you ask them to.  It will cost some money but it's worth it imo

This site is bad for me.....It makes me want to spend thousands of dollars that I do not have XD
erkishhorde

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:23:59 PM »

I personally always build my own computer but I guess I were to buy something prebuilt I would trust the guys at newegg. Not sure what kinda tech support you can get if you buy a computer from them, though since I've never done it. I personally don't like Dells but I know a lot of people that have used them w/o problems. I also know a fair share of people that have had problems w/ them.  Roll Eyes Plus Cal Poly uses them and I hate them.  vomit

As far as retrieving data off of the old hds... I'm not sure. I'd like to say that you could just pop them in an enclosure and plug them into the new system but I think they need be formatted a particular way (not the way the are formatted) in order to use them in an enclosure so this won't work. You might be able to put them into the new computer to pull data off of them. I bet someone else will have better information.

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
DRKWNG
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »

Hi, I'm a Mac...
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »

Hi, I'm a Mac...

Expensive and snobby? Might as well buy a Ducati.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
DRKWNG
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »

Expensive and snobby? Might as well buy a Ducati.

Yea!  Who would want one of those?
mihama01

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 04:58:25 AM »

Well.... If you can wait to August time frame (about) buy the new MacBook that will be coming out!!!

OR

If your PC is more than a year old or so, I suggest you put your existing HDs in an external USB case or similar and buy a new PC with new Hard disks included. Disks are really cheap and increase in capacity and performance is pretty rapid so this is suggested course of action. Then you can copy your data over onto your new hard disk, format the old one and use it for backup or something. 

Also just swapping HDs and it is unlikely that windows will boot from the original HD because the hardware is different. So then you end up reinstalling windows anyway with the chance that you might over write your original data that is on the same disk.

Then of course the Windows that came with the Sony is an OEM copy and it may not install physically install on your hardware and is illegal to install on a different PC in any case and the CD key in on a sticker the old case etc. etc.

So just buy a new PC and splash out for a external USB case. The old disks should be readable by the new PC straight off unless it is damaged, just plug it after you have Windows up and running AND with latest Service Packs installed.

Red S4Rs, Tokyo
RSVRider

Pondering whether to stay or just pass thru.....

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »

Just my 2 cents worth.

Going from Windows to Mac would be a huge improvement in general (or even going to Linux) over Windows IMHO, but Macs are a bit on the pricey side, and Linux is hit-or-miss when it comes to hardware support.  I'm not a Windows user and haven't used Windows since 3.1 (all Linux since then baby!) but I've heard from TONS of people avoid Vista and get XP if you can.

To salvage your data from the old system, pull the drives, go to Best Buy (or MicroCenter if you have one ... otherwise use NewEgg.com) and buy an external hard drive enclosure.  They sell two types, one for IDE drives and one for SATA drives.  You can tell which one you have by pulling the drive out and looking --- if there is a big wide area fill of pins on the back, then you have an IDE drive, if not you have a SATA drive.  Once you get the enclosure, put the drive from the old computer in the new enclosure, plug it into the back of your new system's USB port and you will have full access to your old stuff.

Like another person here, I build my own systems, but work has given me Dells, IBMs, Toshibas ... you name it.  The Dells are nice ... simply because their service policy seems to be "if something breaks we just replace it".  My IBM held up the best of all.  Not sure what you do with your system, but if you are going to spend $$ spend most of it in memory (RAM) and maybe hard drive space; upping your computer's memory is the #1 thing you can do to improve performance, and hard drive space is pretty cheap right now.   If you have $$ left over, get a separate video card, not one that is 'built-in' or uses shared memory from the main system (I personally prefer nVidia cards, but that's just me).

CPU speed isn't a factor anymore, the speed race is over, it's all about multiple-cores now.  So don't worry so much about the speed of the CPU's you are looking at, they're all pretty quick these days.

HTH    Smiley

Rides:  1999 Suck-zuki Kana-tuna 600 (what a POS), 2002 Aprilia RSV (RIP 2007 in Deckers), 2007.5 Aprilia RSV Bol d'Or Edition (yeah it's got lavender paint on it.  That problem for you?).  2012 Monster 796 w/ Termis.
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 11:18:41 AM »

http://www.apple.com/imac/

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
ZLTFUL
Mama said I would go blind if I kept playing with my

WWSDD? Why Anal of course!

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 09:38:25 PM »

Going from Windows to Mac would be a huge improvement in general (or even going to Linux) over Windows IMHO, but Macs are a bit on the pricey side, and Linux is hit-or-miss when it comes to hardware support.  I'm not a Windows user and haven't used Windows since 3.1 (all Linux since then baby!) but I've heard from TONS of people avoid Vista and get XP if you can.

This seems to be a very popular trend and the trend seems to be led by people who have not used the nicer flavors of Vista. Having played with Vista Home and then jumping to the 64bit flavor of Vista Ultimate, I have to say that with a little bit of tweaking, it is far and away a much better OS than XP. With SP1 out now, things have been cleaned up quite a bit and hardware and software support has caught up nicely.
Don't be afraid of the Ultimate versions of Vista. Be afraid of the basic version.  vomit

That being said, I am dual booting Vista Ultimate 64bit and Ubuntu 64bit.

As for the original poster, I would recommend Dells. Since they bought Alienware, their XPS systems have jumped leaps and bounds ahead of where they used to be. They tend to be pretty reliable and as RSVRider stated, their service policy tends to be broken? Replace it!

But you can build some pretty damn decent machines for little coin using resources like Newegg. I just put together a HTPC for under $500 and it is dual core machine with plenty of RAM and a decent video card. Just have to keep your eye out for sales and instant rebates and I ALWAYS go for the free shipping items. Of course, I also upgraded my primary box through them and blew my tax return, economic stimulus check, and the remainder of my severance package from my former employer... Wink

Avatar courtesy of www.mybadco.com
2012 Panigale 1199
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
mihama01

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 01:37:45 AM »

Yes Practically speaking going from Windows to Mac was a pain, the apps are different, the key shortcuts are differemt. Then you have the compatibility issues.

They make very well designed hardware which is not that expensive for what you get. I had a copy of Windows XP and put that on my Macbook. Half the disk is OSX half is Win XP.

Best (or worst) of both worlds Grin

Vista is a joke, don't touch it. Even Microsoft knows this which is Why they are already pushing Windows 7 for a release late 2009. XP will be supported until then.

Why does Vista Suck....let me count the ways...

1) It is slower than XP
2) It has limited driver support. (Has improved but most older hardware not supported)
3) It offers no significant security advantages. (Almost as many security fixes relased by Microsoft)
4) You need a new moniter cause they made the icons huge
5) File copying is slow
6) Numerous problems handling large numbers of files, (trying to empty Recycle bin and Vista complaining that the file no longer exists and asking if you want to recreat it!)
7) Can breaks compatibility of some older software
Cool Randomly changed things and made it more complex without actually improving it.
9) Removed several useful tools, ntbackup, handicapped FAT support

Oh and don't believe the hype.... please explain what the meaning of 64 bit Vista is. Short answer there is none, unless you are specifically using a 64bit programs. Seen any of those lately? Thought not.

This post is not directed at anyone else on the board just a personal rant   waytogo
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 02:43:33 AM by mihama01 » Logged

Red S4Rs, Tokyo
kutter

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 01:47:16 AM »

Seems to me that if you are going to go through the pain of changing to a different OS and having to relearn then it only makes sense to go to a UNIX/LINUX based system.

As much as Apple likes to say they are the little guy, it is a joke, they are a large corporate entity now, obviously not like Microsoft yet, but still, be real. They turn out a decent product but it is pricey for what you get, if you really want to stick it to the man, you run LINUX.

I have 2 boxes at home one with XP and one with LINUX, cuz my wife won't learn LINUX.

All my best ideas get me into trouble.

I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates when he said, 'I drank what?!'

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything..... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 05:06:32 AM »

I bought a Dell off ebay from a wholesaler.

Saved about 30% off best prices on the web and I got the full warranty. 

I like dells because they don't require using non-standard components for the most part.  Buy your memory or cpu upgrade where ever you like.  Dell's support has been pretty good too. 

I started using them when I worked at a previous company and have repeatedly been impressed by their service.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
capt steubing

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 08:20:53 AM »

Hey, thanks for all the great suggestions, I will indeed use a hard drive enclosure and use my old hard drives, great suggestion!  I'll keep my eyes out for a good deal on a Dell or something.  Sorry guys, no Apple for me (mostly because my brother uses Apple, and he's such a prick about it, I'd hate to be thought of like that because of the computer I use).  If anyone happens to see a great deal on a decent computer, let me know.  Thanks again!

So after posting this last message, I checked out newegg, and found the enclosures, a couple of questions.  Do I need to get a seperate enclosure for each hard drive?  And how do I tell if I need the SATA or IDE interface?  Sorry about the dumb questions.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 08:35:47 AM by capt steubing » Logged
knightrider

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 02:26:51 PM »

if you open up you vaio desktop and can find the hard drives, look at the cable that is plugged into the back of it. if its about 2  inches wide then its ide, if its about 3/4" wide, then its sata. im willing to bet that your vaio uses ide because its an older computer.  heres a picture showing both connections, left is ide, right is sata

1994 M900
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: