Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:49:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrangle-St. Elias Nat Park, Road to Nebesna (pics)  (Read 1906 times)
akmnstr
What a Handsome

The Puppy Killer

« on: May 29, 2008, 10:32:17 AM »

Over Memorial Day weekend my wife and I did a 4 day trip into the Wrangle-St. Elias National Park.  The park may not be well know in the lower 48 but it is the largest in the US and the least developed.  It contains 4 mountain ranges and 9 of the 16 highest peaks in the US including the tallest coastal mountain in the world (St. Elias).  It is largely wilderness with only two gravel roads into the park.  We did the road to Nebesna Road, 45 miles of poorly maintain gravel (the best kind of gravel).  It is not a trip for a monster, we road our adventure touring bikes ( a 99 BMW F650 and Suzuki DR650).  I thought you might enjoy some pics. 

On the way from Anchorage to the Park, on the Glenn Highway.  Still on tarmac.

Our first lunch stop

View from our campsite in the park, Skookum Volcano.

Distant view of snow covered Mountains from the road.

There were several water crossings.  This is my wife on her DR

A little further down the road, another stream crossing. 

As you can see we had great weather, a little cool with temps in the 50s with some wind. 
We hope to go back soon and do the other road into the park, the McCarthy Road. 

"you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas!!" Davey Crockett & AKmnstr

"An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men."
Charles Darwin

"I don't know what people expect when they meet me. They seem to be afraid that I'm going to piss in the potted palm and slap them on the ass." Marlon Brando
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:36:52 AM »

Nice AK!!   waytogo

Ahhh..memories of off-roading on the DR!!

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »

very cool.

mitt

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:44:01 AM »

Fantastic!
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »

Wow, very cool, thanks for sharing! waytogo

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
akmnstr
What a Handsome

The Puppy Killer

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:03:25 PM »

Here is one more pic taken on the way home, outside the park.  Just some everyday scenery in AK.  Those are the Chugach Mts in the background.
And of course, that's my wife, Sarah on her bike. 

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:21:26 PM by akmnstr » Logged

"An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men."
Charles Darwin

"I don't know what people expect when they meet me. They seem to be afraid that I'm going to piss in the potted palm and slap them on the ass." Marlon Brando
sno_duc

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:21:16 PM »

Looks like a great ride. waytogo
Rumor has it that the road from Palmer to Sheep Mountian has been repaved. How was that leg? ( that IS Ducati territory Evil )
I'm picking Sharon up at the Anchorage airport on Saturday afternoon. Moose's Tooth ?

A conclusion is the place you got tired of thinking
akmnstr
What a Handsome

The Puppy Killer

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 10:44:21 PM »

Looks like a great ride. waytogo
Rumor has it that the road from Palmer to Sheep Mountian has been repaved. How was that leg? ( that IS Ducati territory Evil )
I'm picking Sharon up at the Anchorage airport on Saturday afternoon. Moose's Tooth ?

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, was out of town for a couple of days.  Let's meet up.  Let me know when. 

By the road to sheep mountain do you mean the Glenn.  I just did it and I think it is an awesome ride.  Rode the Desmo B*tch to Copper Center for work and back over the last two days Cheesy Cheesy cheeky cheeky

Charles Darwin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: