Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:37:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone near Ft Bragg?  (Read 3748 times)
DRKWNG
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:23:25 PM »

Hi all; Hawaii based rider that might be moving up to the Ft Bragg area this coming summer.  Wondering what you guys can tell me about the area, both riding and just life in general.  What's the scoop?
smooth

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:52:59 AM »

I was stationed at Fort Bragg during the early/mid 90's, so it may have changed a bit since then. The larger town just off base was referred to as Fayette-Nam (Fayetteville) and earned it's reputation. I guess it was like many other military towns, just on a larger scale. Because a lot of the local economy depended on the military, it had a lot of tattoo shops, restuarants, bars, clubs, strip joints, and surplus / gun shops. Like other towns, there are good and bad areas, but Fayettevill seemed to have really bad spots and more of them.

The base itself? It's big. Like really, really huge. Two smaller posts, Pope AFB and SImmons AAF are both contained within. It's an open post, but you won't be allowed where you shouldn't be. It's really sandy with pine trees everywhere and can be brutally hot and humid in the summertime. If you've been on other military bases, you know about the MP's. I met more than a few when I was there and found them like other LEO's - some good / some bad but pretty decent overall. I know of no one ever talking their way out of a ticket on base. It's a relatively short drive to the coast, but it's not close enough to take advantage of the ocean breeze. Did I mention the heat and humidity in the summertime? It's like the whole area comes down with a case of "swamp ass".

I did some riding while I was there. The land around Bragg is mostly flat with gently rolling hills and few curves. Okay for cruisers, not so much for sportbikes.

So are you in the service? Or are a DOD civilian or a contractor of some sort?

cshadow2

What was I talking about?

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »

I have been here on Bragg since 1998 its allot better now than it was when i got here. Most of the guys here are either Harley guys or biker boys. but there are a few Ducanistas but we mostly keep to ourselves. there are some really nice rides to be had a hour or two from here and the tail of the dragon is about 6 hours away (good for a weekend trip). its not an open post anymore the locked it down on Sept 11th and it has been that way ever since. all and i i like it here but I've been here so long I'm sure I'm biased. if you need any help or information shoot me a PM and i will give you my AKO addy. 
cshadow2

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 10:08:53 AM »

oh yeah and one other thing if you are single sorry, there are like 10 dudes to every female her in the fayetteville area. we have a saying here "fayettville the place where fat girls can be choosy". but if you are married its not a bad little town.
DRKWNG
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »

Thanks for the info guys.  My plans of possibly coming there got altered though, and I will be on my way up to DC this summer.   waytogo
smooth

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »

its not an open post anymore the locked it down on Sept 11th and it has been that way ever since. all and i i like it here but I've been here so long I'm sure I'm biased.  

If it's not an open post anymore, how do you get to Fayetteville from Spring Lake? take the long way around?

I understand your bias. When I left, I actually missed Fayetteville for awhile. Guess I had been there long enough to make it home.

cshadow2

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:28:30 AM »

Bragg BLVD is still open some of the cross roads have gates some are blocked and some have guards for cross over only. they keep saying they are going to close it but the city is fighting it. on SEP 12th 2001 it took me hours to get back on post it was like that for a few days. its not to bad now of course but it was rough they cosed post about 6 hours after the WTC attack and its been closed ever since.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: