Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:19:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you have your gear lever, under/over/besides the foot?  (Read 4158 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: May 29, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »

I'm trying to improve my skills and now I'm wondering where to adjust/place the gear lever - to reach it the most effective way. I mean, when the foot is moved forward to shift - should the toe peg be under/over/besides where the foot naturally is positioned? Excuse me if I'm missing something obvious - I'm fairly new to advanced riding techniques.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »

I'm not sure I understand your question entirely, but when I am riding (not shifting), the balls of my feet are on the footpegs.
When I want to shift, I temporarily move my foot forward so that the heel is on the footpeg, and I can reach the gear shift lever.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »

I think beside, by your description.

It's easy to shift by pushing down...harder to have to move your ankle excessively to get your toe under the shifter.

Have you considered GP shift?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »

My feet are where they should be when not shifting. It's when I move them forward that I need to decide where the lever should be.

(long break to think)

I guess I've been riding with my foot in the forward position more/longer than just to shift (during a period of riding with an inwards bent lever). My foot needs to get back in the correct riding position after completing shift(s) - in the forward position ONLY to shift, right?

I need to find the lever position where I don't have to move my ankle joint excessively/unnaturally, right? I guess it should be equally easy/hard to move the ankle for the up- AND downshift - which is what you said, Ducpainter.

DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »

I don't know what size feet you have but I were size 13 Race boots (US) and I can't be moving my feet much forward or backward so I keep my left foot at a 45% angle to the outside of the shift lever and if the particular Boots I have on that day have a little bit of a sole lip I use that for upshifting and move in alittle more for down shifts. If you have a smaller foot, then you should be on the balls of your feet and when you shift I would say what works best for you with the least amount of movement and thought.

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
Smiling End

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 02:51:03 PM »

I've got pretty small feet so when I shift I can just lift with the front part of my foot I actually have to use that part of my foot and lift my whole leg up, not just rotate up at the ankle.

99 M750 Dark
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 09:26:31 PM »

Non-shifting position is with the ball of my foot on the peg.  When I shift, I hook my heel on the peg and shift from there.  I have midget feet and both my bikes have GP shift pattern.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
duc996

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 03:20:41 AM »

I'm not sure I understand your question entirely, but when I am riding (not shifting), the balls of my feet are on the footpegs.
When I want to shift, I temporarily move my foot forward so that the heel is on the footpeg, and I can reach the gear shift lever.
+1  waytogo

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:55:15 AM »

Thanks again folks - I have adjusted it to be by the side of where my foot is when moved forward. Easy access to both down- and upshift.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: