Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 09:28:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Headlight Setup  (Read 5483 times)
99monster750

« on: May 29, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »

Well i went down to Pep Boys today to get some new spark plugs and while i was there i noticed a couple of dual headlights (technically made for off-roading i think) but they were like $40 so i figured i would try them out and see what i could come up with.  So this is pretty much what i did:

1.  removed original headlight
2.  connected all the wires etc. from the box together with the new lights and hooked them up to the battery
3.  each light came with a bracket so i just bolted that to the existing light bracket

The whole setup has its own on/off switch.  So the system is basically setup up completely separate of the bike (ie. if you push the bright light button on the handlebar nothing will happen)

My question is:  Being hooked up to the battery separate from the rest of the bike, will it run the battery down or weaken it at all?

I'll try to get some pics up later tonight if anyone is interested.

We must grab each others collar, must rise out of the water
'Cause you know as well as I do that it's no fun to die alone.

-Widespread Panic
Ducatiloo

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:49:56 PM »

Well i went down to Pep Boys today to get some new spark plugs and while i was there i noticed a couple of dual headlights (technically made for off-roading i think) but they were like $40 so i figured i would try them out and see what i could come up with.  So this is pretty much what i did:

1.  removed original headlight
2.  connected all the wires etc. from the box together with the new lights and hooked them up to the battery
3.  each light came with a bracket so i just bolted that to the existing light bracket

The whole setup has its own on/off switch.  So the system is basically setup up completely separate of the bike (ie. if you push the bright light button on the handlebar nothing will happen)

My question is:  Being hooked up to the battery separate from the rest of the bike, will it run the battery down or weaken it at all?

I'll try to get some pics up later tonight if anyone is interested.

You should be ok as long as you run it though the fuse box.  Plus then you can set it up to turn on when you start the bike.

750 SS 01    800 S2R 05  Aprilia RST 1000 futura
KaliDuke1

Hey chiefy, I see you brought your rubbers...

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

I wanna see this.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:18:51 PM by KaliDuke1 » Logged

Here lies the body of Mary Lee         
Died at the age of 103
For 15 years she kept her virginity
Not a bad record for this vicinity
Mac_48

I Ride: a 2005 S2R 800 (sold)

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:27:30 PM »

^you're not the only one Grin

This site is bad for me.....It makes me want to spend thousands of dollars that I do not have XD
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:23:14 PM »

I wanna see this.

cut and splice the connection into your current lamp setup and you wont need to deal with a on and off switch.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
99monster750

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 06:45:25 PM »

The yellow arrow points to the black connection on the battery, the green arrow to the red connection (which runs through a fuse box that came with the headlights) and connects to a relay, which has a 3-pin plug that connects to the on/off switch and a couple more sets of wires that connect to the lights. 

Black arrows point to the lighting brackets.  They came with their own bracket which i just bolted to the original light bracket.  The yellow arrows show the wires that come from the lights, they go back and connect to the relay.

I'm not real good with electrical stuff.  So this setup allows me (separate from the bike controls) to have the dual headlights.  Really i dont know how to connect it to the bike fuse box or where to cut and splice the connection into the original lamp setup.

So does anyone think this will work?  How about the battery?  If it doesnt its no big loss, just a return trip to pep boys.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:01:54 PM by 99monster750 » Logged

-Widespread Panic
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 06:57:33 PM »

those look like angel eyes....... nice waytogo

hope that fuel tank was almost empty though Undecided

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 07:07:56 PM »

I installed those on my bike. they are hella opti-something right? I wired it up directly to the original headlamp connection, they are only 55watt each, and the angel eyes get powered by the parking light bulb. They dont have a high beam feature because they were H3s, and dual H3s arent even close to being bright enough for night time riding. I wired them so 1 is on in normal, and both are on during high beam. it will be fine since my new duals have dual H4s, they run 100watt x  2 in high beam mode and i haven't blown a fuse yet

If you need help wiring them up to your original switch, PM me or something. I can almost guarantee you, you will forget to turn them off and you will be stranded unless you wire a relay onto something else on your bike.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 07:10:30 PM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
JoDuc

07 S2R1K

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:36:19 PM »

those look like angel eyes....... nice waytogo

hope that fuel tank was almost empty though Undecided

Is it bad to lift the tank like that??? Gas overflow???
KaliDuke1

Hey chiefy, I see you brought your rubbers...

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:30:39 PM »

Looks good. For $40, that's a nice deal.
I'd like to try those stacked vertically.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 08:32:16 PM by KaliDuke1 » Logged

Here lies the body of Mary Lee         
Died at the age of 103
For 15 years she kept her virginity
Not a bad record for this vicinity
99monster750

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »

The finished product (for now)

Thanks to some help from He Man, i got the headlights rigged up so that when the bike is turned on, the angel eyes come on.  Then when i need the lights i turn on the brights and they both come on.

Not bad for $40.  I think it looks better than the big ole headlight that came on it.

-Widespread Panic
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 01:18:24 AM »

Looks nice waytogo

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 11:12:24 PM »

Is it bad to lift the tank like that??? Gas overflow???

the hinge at the back of the tank is a notorious weak spot on monster tanks. lifting and supporting the tank in that position with too much gas (weight) in the tank is a sure way to cause cracks in the weld at the bottom of the tank Tongue

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
psycledelic

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 01:14:22 AM »

the hinge at the back of the tank is a notorious weak spot on monster tanks. lifting and supporting the tank in that position with too much gas (weight) in the tank is a sure way to cause cracks in the weld at the bottom of the tank Tongue

That's good to know.  I learn something everytime I log onto this site. 

06 S2R800 - the wife                         Dolph
04 999s - the mistress
Mac_48

I Ride: a 2005 S2R 800 (sold)

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 05:01:08 PM »

that looks cool! Grin

This site is bad for me.....It makes me want to spend thousands of dollars that I do not have XD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: