Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:47:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get over fear  (Read 7317 times)
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 08:29:28 PM »

Hey 55Spy, nice save and the correct response to the situation.  Off-road and supermoto techniques are definitely life savers on the street.  And I'm betting that afterwards you thought it was "fun" too.  Good on ya!

Now as to your too analytical dad who won't lane split.  Tell him to analyze this:  If you're in line with all the other cars then you're the meat in the sandwich when one of the cagers rear-ends the car in front of him (and you) while he/she is on the cell phone/reading the paper/putting on makeup or just generally not paying attention.  Lane splitting can be hairy, but if done cautiously, alertly, and at sane speeds it will not only save you time but could save your life.  The last thing I want is to be between two cars when they collide.  Just as you don't want to cruise too slowly on the freeway and remain alongside any car that might change lanes without looking, you don't want to leave yourself open to the goofball maneuvers the car drivers pull.  Pro-active, no reactive, and your best defense will be a good offense.

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
hillbillypolack

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 03:57:46 PM »

A fair amount of it also has to do with familiarity on your bike.  I've done a few trackdays, and found that experience to be invaluable in keeping my skill set up while road riding.  Some of that taught me to "trust the front", and hold to your line in most cases.

It so happened that coming back from a fall ride last year, I was going about 50 through a left hand sweeper.  I felt the bike slip sideways, both wheels, then catch.  The adrenaline caught me about 100 yards later, but I was upright, and in my lane.  The luck was that I had already committed to a line, constant throttle, and no other changes.  A riding buddy said he felt the same patch of road was slippery as well.

"Fun", well, probably not.  Grateful that some on-track experience was put to good use.  And that I'd listened to some instruction.
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »

The luck was that I had already committed to a line, constant throttle, and no other changes.  A riding buddy said he felt the same patch of road was slippery as well.

+11tyb

So many street crashes could have been avoided if the riders had just stuck to their original plan.  As long as you still have a fleeting chance to save it, DO JUST THAT.  Trust me, standing it up and trying to ride it out in the dirt may work at the track, but it just about never has a happy ending on the street.  If you think you have no idea about road conditions, are there ANY guarantees about what's in the shoulder and beyond?  I'm not saying this is true in every case, but don't lose your faith in your bike.  Chances are most people who find themselves in a pucker moment on the street are nowhere near 100% of their bike's performance.  You might be able to use that other 40% or 25% or even 5% to save you from a crash.  If you give up, you're toast no matter what. 

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
Cabbie

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 06:12:05 PM »

+11tyb

So many street crashes could have been avoided if the riders had just stuck to their original plan.  As long as you still have a fleeting chance to save it, DO JUST THAT.  Trust me, standing it up and trying to ride it out in the dirt may work at the track, but it just about never has a happy ending on the street.  If you think you have no idea about road conditions, are there ANY guarantees about what's in the shoulder and beyond?  I'm not saying this is true in every case, but don't lose your faith in your bike.  Chances are most people who find themselves in a pucker moment on the street are nowhere near 100% of their bike's performance.  You might be able to use that other 40% or 25% or even 5% to save you from a crash.  If you give up, you're toast no matter what. 

Emily,   This is what I am still struggling with... even with riding on and off for 12+ years, I never really got comfortable with what the bike can/could do.  That includes some nice handling bikes including a Gixxer 6... Thankfully for me I started off wise on the street with a little 250 Ninja which was such a great learning tool for me as I got myself into a lot of situations that a more powerful bike would have probably hurt me because I didnt know any better.  An example... paint lines are VERY slick when wet.. LOL!!  That little Ninja just slid right across the crosswalk both wheels sliding, but was controllable due to its size and lack of overall power.  Now fast forward to today... 1 trackday down and I learned more about what my monster can do with a scrub rider onboard and a mild performance tire on the front.  My plan now is to do at least one more trackday and enroll in cornerspeed.. thanks to yours and Stillies reviews and reccomendations!!!  I actually need to get off my butt and get a check into MAD so I can try to get in on the fall days...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: