Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 10:50:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Wave  (Read 4143 times)
Smitch

only thing whiter is my skin!

« on: May 29, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »

Saw this topic in the general forum, and thought it'd be fun to add here.  The wave is truly a complicated social gesture. At first I thought it was the coolest, because I was getting acknowledgement I didn't used to get pre-motorcycle.  It seemed like everybody else on a bike was my bud.  Then some dude's didn't wave, and I thought they were jerks.  Talk about rejection.  I just put my hand out to embrace you as a brother, and you slapped it away? 

Fast forward a little, and I began to notice different types of waves.  There's the normal, hand out either high or out 90 degrees.  Then there's the really low, cool guy, one finger down.  I found this comical and would return these with a big goofy gesture.

Then I'd actually feel bad about not returning some waves in time!  How rediculous that I genuinely felt as if I'd robbed this other person (whom I'd never seen before and likely never would again) of some ego boosting sign of approval.

Now I've become a jerk.  I see where those other jerks were coming from, because now that the newness of it has worn off, it seems that it's mostly an inconvience.  I don't really feel like waving to a bike just because it's another bike.  There are more motorcycles on the road every year, and while motorbikes are still far fewer than cars, it seems like the swelling of our numbers may be rendering the wave useless. Most of the time, somebody waves when it's inconvenient for me to take my hand off the bar anyway.  How ironic would it be to somehow lose control, or not have the control at a crucial moment because you were fixated on flashing a sign to another motorist? 

Still, while I've stopped initiating the wave (most of the time) I'll probably keep waving back.  After all, I don't want to be rude.
Scottish
Balls!

That's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy!

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 05:29:50 AM »

You sound like a snobby Ducati rider. You should know that I chase down and beat people who don't wave back, and you don't sound fast enough to out run me.....

laughingdp

....but seriously  Angry wave you asshat!!!  Kiss  Grin

You can thank a soldier today, just click the link...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
Smitch

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 07:24:51 AM »

Oh WDB, you've just been off so long that you've reverted to the type who just waves with delirious glee!  I think I just forgot to check on those grips for you!  Grin
Randimus Maximus
Local Moderator
Post Whore

'01 996SPS

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 07:53:55 AM »

I wave to everyone except anyone on a white 848.

Grin

Smitch

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:00:22 AM »

Yeah, my buddy is always asking me why I chose the "gay color".
Scottish
Balls!

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 09:07:48 AM »

Gee smitch..... go figure.....

laughingdp I ki d it's a purty bike!

J_Slyter

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 10:32:58 AM »

Most of the time, somebody waves when it's inconvenient for me to take my hand off the bar anyway.   
Like when you are moving? jk Wink

This is old, but may be why Harley guys don't wave back. Might need to zoom in for the hand gesture.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2137/2178974206_d5906d2762_o.jpg

Smitch

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »

Like when you are moving? jk Wink

This is old, but may be why Harley guys don't wave back. Might need to zoom in for the hand gesture.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2137/2178974206_d5906d2762_o.jpg

That's not old, that was just a few months ago wasn't it?  Anyway, I love that article.  Hilarious!  Dude's all waving like he's the man, and then...whoops!  That's why I ride like your grandma.
Heffay

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 07:33:33 AM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MbZLHMv-218

too many riders on the road sometimes brings on the usage of the foot wave, for me.  [moto]   
                                                                                                                              ;     
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:38:25 AM by Heffay » Logged

1973 cb350f cafe, 1975/77 cb400f race project,
1992 zx7r
Scottish
Balls!

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 07:42:36 AM »

laughingdp

cooleye

Ciao

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 09:21:42 AM »

Grin

wow, very informative! He has one powerful machine there!! Grin Grin
Gringo 999

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 07:54:05 PM »

First of all: Heffay.  You are the man!  The hand wave video rocked.   waytogo

Second of all:  Smitch.  What are you kidding me?  WDB has you pegged!!!  Snobby, gay, and afraid to remove your hand from the bar.  Watch the video again.  Just kidding.

Anyway, seriously I initiate waves to sportbike riders, tourers and even the occasional scooter.  I wave to cagers that actually yield to an oncoming motorcycle, cagers who move out of the left lane to let me pass and the occasional bicylist climbing a long hill.  I wave to the kids on bikes in my neighborhood.  Hell I even wave at motorcycle cops!    Police  But, I won't initiate a hand wave to the HD "I'm too cool dressed in my tough guy black leather and denim to wave" riders.  I may, or may not, depending on my mood return an HD initiated wave.

Larry Dotson, aka "Il Duce"
2004 Red and White 999 Superbike (Biposto)
MRA # 196 - 2001 GSXR 750
Smitch

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 08:38:50 PM »

Well, my original post was written late at night, and I had delusions of waxing poetic on moto culture...even fancied myself an editorialist (Peter Egan has nothing to worry about).

I can tell you, I changed my tuned big time riding home yesterday after Corey's crash.  You never know when you'll need the empathy of a fellow rider to help your butt out...

You hit it on the head Pres, depends on the mood and situation. 
Gringo 999

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 05:26:52 PM »

There definitely is a community of bikers when someone goes down.  Doesn't matter what you ride, most folks don't hesitate to lend a hand.  Witness all the bikers who stuck around Sunday to help out.

Larry Dotson, aka "Il Duce"
2004 Red and White 999 Superbike (Biposto)
MRA # 196 - 2001 GSXR 750
Ducati900sp

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 05:25:23 PM »

Hey just found some of the reasons why the Harley and the Gold Wing riders won't wave back! http://www.redztread.com/roadrash/wave/wave06.htm

Why We Wave!
http://www.redztread.com/roadrash/wave/wave10.htm

I've always been a fan of the awkward lean way over and touch the ground wave!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 05:29:41 PM by Ducati900sp » Logged

DUCATI-CAMPIONE DEL MONDO SUPERBIKE
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: