Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 12:11:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things To Check While Purchasing A Track Bike  (Read 5416 times)
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« on: May 30, 2008, 08:41:34 AM »

Well I'm looking for a bit of advice from you guys as I prepare to go look at a track bike this weekend.

What things should I look for specifically on track bikes?

What questions do you feel are pertinent to a track bike purchase?

Thanks for any advice I hope that others can use this thread in the future for their purchases as well.
mikeb
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:04:11 AM »

It all depends on the bike.  But in general there are three areas I ask about.  Crash history, set up info, and service info.

Obviously you'd want to know how many times the bike has been down.  Has all the damage been repaired?  Frame straight?  Wheels, forks, subframe straight?  Most used track/race bikes have been down at least once.  So check for crash damage and how well it was put back together.

Set up info deals with any mods to the bike.  What weight is the suspension set up for?  Any work to the motor?  Brake upgrades?  Is it safety wired?  If you plan on racing ask which classes you can run it in.  Things of that nature.

Service info kind of goes hand in hand with set up info.  But is more specific to the care of the bike.  When was the motor last freshened up?  Valves checked?  Last oil change?  Brake fluid changed?  How many more trackdays are the tires good for?  Basically find out if the servicing of the bike is up to date so you don't have to work on it as soon as you pick it up.  Make sure to research if there are any kinds of known issues with the model you are looking to pick up.  Factory recalls or warranty items that are common to that model. 

Other than that I'd say one of the biggest issues with track bikes is title status.  Is it clean or salvage?  This is important to some people.  Especially if they want to put it back to street use at some point.  It can also affect price.  Some people won't pay top dollar for a salvage titled bike.....even though it's a track bike.  It just depends on your frame of mind.....and the bike's condition.

What are you looking to pick up?  Got a model in mind?     
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 09:16:01 AM »

I looking at a 2007 - 675

Here's some snippet's from our previous conversation:

Jardine rt-1 carbon fiber slip on
Pazzo Levers
SME swingarm sliders
SME front axle sliders
SME rear axle sliders
GSG no cut Frame sliders
Bridgestone BT-002's with lots of life left

Its is a 2007 with a little over 3k miles
It has not been on a GMD Computrack, but I know everything about the bike.

The subframe was bent, which was replaced. I have the old one as a spare.
The swingarm is scratched but not bent.
Forks are straight. I had Dave Moss look at them at the track.
Clip ons are fine, you just need a plastic piece for the left bar end ( R&G bar ends).I think its like 10 bucks?

Just bled the brakes front and rear. had Motul race dot 4 fluid
It has distilled water and water wetter at the moment.
Oil could be changed, last change was at the 1000 mile service.

It can pass Tech in the condition its in at the moment.

It's a salvage title, but it doesn't bother me as I plan to make it track only, and if I did get is streeted (which he has all the parts to do so) I only get liability on my bikes for insurance so there'd be no change in insurance coverage.

Thanks for the info Cheesy
mikeb
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 09:32:54 AM »

You should ask around on Triumph boards or other racing boards to see if there are any known issues with the 675. 

http://www.triumphrat.net/
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »

You should ask around on Triumph boards or other racing boards to see if there are any known issues with the 675. 

yeah i cruised over but it's a VS board so I've got to keep my time limited over there to prevent their ad revenue from increasing Cheesy
derby

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 10:04:12 AM »

yeah i cruised over but it's a VS board so I've got to keep my time limited over there to prevent their ad revenue from increasing Cheesy

try this one:

http://triumph675.net/forum/

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
TCK!
I'm A Hot Chick

Oh really?

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:05:16 AM »

ahhh danke Derby... I wasn't sure how much longer I could stay seizure free...
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 10:26:51 PM »

Did he have the frame measured?  It sounds like it was involved in a highside or at least multiple roll lowside in order to tweak the subframe. 

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
gm2

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 08:28:57 AM »

Did he have the frame measured?  

It has not been on a GMD Computrack

no.

Like this is the racing, no?
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 03:35:49 PM »

That's where I hang out.  Well, that's where I get my tech info, DMF is where I hang out.

It's not the same over there  Roll Eyes

What's the price on the salvage 07?  That probably would be the biggest influence on buying it after reading what comes with it.

My 06 has been awesome.  No mechanical problems (other that one thing that I caused, and then later fixed).  Ive toured on it, done track days on it, it's a KILLER track bike.

Triumph really broke the mold when they made this bike.  Im not surprised other manufacturers are following their trail.

Some say it needs an aftermarket steering damper, my stock one has been fine and ive been through some rough stuff under WOT (coming down turn 7 at BeaveRun)

Id say get it!  Im planning on selling mine in the next year or so, getting back to a twin (KTM or Hypermotard) and getting a salvage 675 to beat on the track.

DO IT waytogo
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 03:38:09 PM by Monsterlover » Logged

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 08:37:08 PM »

no.

Or I could just read the entire post.   Grin

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
sqweak
WebGeeK

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 08:32:32 AM »

FWIW, i hear the rear shock should be replaced for track duty...

2007 S4R-T (street)
Black CRG Hindsight LS, Black CRG Roll-A-Click Levers, Black Rizoma Conical Handlebars, DP Open Airbox, Clear Alternatives Integrated LED Brakelight w/ Smoke Lens, Removed: Chopped (w/ Cookie's kit), Sidepods & Wiring relocated, Passenger pegs, Stickers

2001 Suzuki SV650 (track)
NuTTs
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »

Personally, I´d buy a street Daytona 675 and then do it up myself. That bike only needs race fairings, inverted gearchange, Sigma slipper clutch and slicks.

I wish I had one. Once I´m through with the Ducati Twin series I´ll either go D675 or probably.... a 848  Grin
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 05:02:42 PM »

FWIW, i hear the rear shock should be replaced for track duty...

You can get away with using the stocker for a while.  I've been.

I weigh 200lbs, 215 or so geared up.  I have the rebound set for one click out from full stiff.

When I ran it full stiff it would jack.  IE it would compress, then rebound a little, then compress a lot more, and rebound just a little.  So my rear ride height was continually dropping  Angry 

One click out is the best compromise between the above situation, and not enough rebound.

For the serious track rider, id say get the shock.

Personally, I´d buy a street Daytona 675 and then do it up myself. That bike only needs race fairings, inverted gearchange, Sigma slipper clutch and slicks.

I wish I had one. Once I´m through with the Ducati Twin series I´ll either go D675 or probably.... a 848  Grin

GP shift is a personal pref. and I can never get used to it, so i just skip it all together.  The slipper is a nice add, Ill agree. Sigma and Yoyodyne make nice ones.  About $700-$800 to get one into the bike.

Ive been running lightly used Power Race tires with excellent results.  Stock rear is 180 and some have gone to a 190 on the stock rim and had good results as well.  So I may try that if my tire source will donate some lightly used 190's Grin

Slicks =  Cool

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: